Toaster

PTZ at home? useful or stupid?

I wasnt sure where this would be most appropriate- so here it is.

I saw a really good deal on a PTZ camera... the specs on paper seem fairly good. I'm considering buying one (possibly 2) later.... but I'm curious would there be a practical application for a PTZ in a home system? The only place I can personally think to put it would be at my front door - but that seems like it might be stupid...?

Oh, and do ptz camera's have an option to continuously and automatically sweep across the viewing area automatically? or do they just point where you leave them until you move them again.

As always, looking forward to the responses. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

you can set up a tour or scan however that will use a lot of storage space. IF you are panning and something happens you could well pan past the incident an just get some of the info. I would go with multiple fixed as they will always be covering the same spot. Also ptz are usually more maint .

PTZ's for home use rock.

You dont even have to get up to go see what your kids are doing outside, especially when you got your DVR connected to your TV. Simply switch your input to see your DVR, then control your PTZ with your DVR's remote control.

Wow, two completely opposite opinions... both right

The fact is, in MOST cases a PTZ is of limited utility for recorded video. Yes, most allow you to program a "sweep" (just left-to-right and back), a "pattern" (where it records the movements you run it through, then repeats them), and "tour" (where you store a number of preset views and then have the camera step through them), but as Toaster says, even if they do pan across something of interest, they'll just keep on going according to their programming.

Where they're really useful is, as Sean suggests, for live viewing... but unless you're a security guard or pit boss or someone who needs to spend a lot of time watching what's going on, it's not much more than a neat toy.

Where they're really useful is, as Sean suggests, for live viewing... but unless you're a security guard or pit boss or someone who needs to spend a lot of time watching what's going on, it's not much more than a neat toy.

That's what I figured. Guy's, this whole CCTV stuff has become my new TOY. I've been eating, drinking and sleeping this stuff for weeks now. ITS NEARLY 3AM LOCALLY AND I'M UP IN BED - ONLINE - READING AND POSTING ON THIS FORUM!!!! What's that tell you!?

I was originally only going to buy 1 system for the store... Right now I own 4 setups! I'm addicted...... And this ranks as one of my more expensive habbits. I'm actually looking at these multi-hundred dollar cameras. The only thing stopping me right now is Christmas is around the corner, and my wife will SHOOT ME!! (off camera of course).

take the money you want to spend on a "cheap" PTZ and get a megapizel IP camera?

+1 get yourself a good quality camera and put your money saved from buying a ptz to a good motion sencing just like this and have fun at the same time

http://www.paintballsentry.com/Videos.htm

+2 take all that money and pay bills

ITS NEARLY 3AM LOCALLY AND I'M UP IN BED - ONLINE - READING AND POSTING ON THIS FORUM!!!! What's that tell you!?

That you should seek professional help?

it's not much more than a neat toy.

I agree, my home security system is a little ridiculous. More of a toy than anything.

That's what I figured. Guy's, this whole CCTV stuff has become my new TOY. I've been eating, drinking and sleeping this stuff for weeks now.

It looks like you have caught the bug like many of us have, there is no stopping you now.

take the money you want to spend on a "cheap" PTZ and get a megapizel IP camera?

+1 get yourself a good quality camera and put your money saved from buying a ptz to a good motion sencing just like this and have fun at the same time

OMG Why did you show me that!? I need that setup INSIDE the store after we close, one on the roof line to guard the parking lot, and at least 3 at my house - just to piss off the neighbors cat!

ITS NEARLY 3AM LOCALLY AND I'M UP IN BED - ONLINE - READING AND POSTING ON THIS FORUM!!!! What's that tell you!?

That you should seek professional help?

I tried... 1) I can't afford good quality help, and 2) the budget doctors I've seen tell me I'm fine.

There's no way to intergrate an IP camera in to this system I have now with the analog cameras and dvr right? The IP would just be separate and wouldn't record on the dvr? (seriously - I'm asking a question)

There's no way to intergrate an IP camera in to this system I have now with the analog cameras and dvr right? The IP would just be separate and wouldn't record on the dvr? (seriously - I'm asking a question)

yes you can use a decoder but then .. i imagine that MP is then useless.

you can set up a tour or scan however that will use a lot of storage space. IF you are panning and something happens you could well pan past the incident an just get some of the info. I would go with multiple fixed as they will always be covering the same spot. Also ptz are usually more maint .

Or setup detectors through out, to trigger on motion, and then the camera scans to that point, using the I/O's

but ptz cameras on tour, will constantly record, and use up ur storage space, and when there is an incident, it may take longer to find it.

here here

It's funny you mention that site. They actually have an autonomous PTZ that's like $200 here: http://www.thesentryproject.com/Object%20Tracking%20Camera.htm

They are sort of cheating with a price that low because with that system you can get 14M images or 720p video, zoomed in on the subject, all done automatically. It usually costs a hell of a lot more for video/image quality that high and that's not even counting that fact that targets are tracked autonomously. The problem is that they run out of them quite often.