Adam Daley

GeoVision Fisheye Camera - Video

Cool. Is it an IP camera and megapixel? And is it expensive?

BTW I was getting a little dizzy watching that

It is an IP camera... supports local power and PoE (we're using PoE). Setup was as easy as any geovision ip camera. Its megapixel but its not the higher one. They have a higher megapixel camera coming soon.

Its about the price of a few cheap domes... about the same price as any geovision IP camera you'd buy actually.

I was looking at that as well. I was curious, can you zoom on the camera as well?

Is it noisey when its moving around?

I dont suppose theres a way for it to just keep moving around until it seems motion? Meaning, wherever you leave it, thats where it records?

It is an IP camera... supports local power and PoE (we're using PoE). Setup was as easy as any geovision ip camera. Its megapixel but its not the higher one. They have a higher megapixel camera coming soon.

Its about the price of a few cheap domes... about the same price as any geovision IP camera you'd buy actually.

Are u happy with video quality ?

It doesnt seem noisey when moving around, pretty smooth. What you see above is what i saw (as i recorded it from my iphone).

Its only 1 MP i believe so the resolution isnt that high. Id like to see it better quality but they do have a 2nd one, which is higher MP coming out... but for what it is and what it cost, its pretty damn good. It covers 360 degrees of my office.

I dont think you can set it to move around till theres motion, as its not a PTZ, its recording 360 degrees. The software digitally converts it to make it appear as a PTZ, but the real image its recording is a fisheye looking image. I'll post a video shortly of how that looks actually so you get an idea of what it looks like before the software takes over.

Update: heres the video of the camera without anything done, so yuo can see how you kinda need to use the software to enable the fisheye playback:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wlQJ8xKZko

So does it record the whole image or just what you are looking at? How long till Mobotix sues pants off of them

Fish eye lenses been out for years before Mobotix even came on the scene.

So does it record the whole image or just what you are looking at? How long till Mobotix sues pants off of them

Fish eye lenses been out for years before Mobotix even came on the scene.

Rory that is not just the lens the camera looks just like the Mobotix Q24

GEO

GVFE421-1.jpg

Mobotix

Cameras_mediumlarge-1.jpg

it does bare some similarity to one of them, for certain, but the mobotix bears similarity to other 360 degree cameras that were around years before them. I doubt they would ever entertain a lawsuit as that might open them up for legal action also.

eg. a thread from 2004 about grandeyes HALOCAM

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=430

And others dating as far back as 2001: Phillips e-dome based on the IQvision camera

http://www.optoiq.com/index/machine-vision-imaging-processing/display/vsd-article-display/111905/articles/vision-systems-design/product-highlights/philips-csi-selects-iqinvision-iqeye3-camera-for-its-security-products.html

and these type of cameras been around for years in the non IP section (not with fisheye lens in this case, though you can just drill a larger hole and mount your own fisheye lens very easily).

http://www.ktnc.co.kr/english/viewtopic.php?t=424

But they have got alot better now with Mobotix and the others doing MP.

BTW the lenses do look different also: BUT REALLY CLOSE OTHERWISE LOL

Mobotix:

mobotixq24_large-1.jpg

Geo

GVIPCAMFisheye1-1.jpg

edit .. so yeah um going by the last 2 images i posted .. they DO look close enough .. I mean wow. What was Geo thinking?? Least make it look different. Unless they are using the same manufacturer and Mobotix dont make them directly??

it does bare some similarity to one of them, for certain, but the mobotix bears similarity to other 360 degree cameras that were around years before them. I doubt they would ever entertain a lawsuit as that might open them up for legal action also.

eg. a thread from 2004 about grandeyes HALOCAM

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=430

And others dating as far back as 2001: Phillips e-dome based on the IQvision camera

http://www.optoiq.com/index/machine-vision-imaging-processing/display/vsd-article-display/111905/articles/vision-systems-design/product-highlights/philips-csi-selects-iqinvision-iqeye3-camera-for-its-security-products.html

and these type of cameras been around for years in the non IP section (not with fisheye lens in this case, though you can just drill a larger hole and mount your own fisheye lens very easily).

http://www.ktnc.co.kr/english/viewtopic.php?t=424

But they have got alot better now with Mobotix and the others doing MP.

BTW the lenses do look different also:

Mobotix:

mobotixq24_large-1.jpg

I am referring to the similarities of the cameras not the fish eye technology even though Mobotix was the first to do the image processing in the camera.

I would not be surprised if Mobotix would sue them. Axis sued Vivotek and won because of the camera design.

Vivotek used to have a camera that looked just like this.

5eb9aefe01651e318ea0032800700bba-1.jpg

Now it looks like this.

banner_md7530-1.jpg

I havnt seen the other fisheye camera yet... so cant really comment, but all i can say is that they can't really patent a fisheye lense... its been out for a LOG time. Im sure there was a patent or something on it at first but its probably passed... thats like saying any dome camera has to pay royalties to one company because most dome cameras look the same,even bullets look the same... the geovision does look very similar to theirs, it even has the holes like that one... but has a 3 screw down patern opposed to 4... then agian maybe they are rebranded, who knows... im not sure if geovision manufactuers their own lenses/camears or uses one of the top companies overseas to do the manufacturer... most cameras seem to be made by the same people.

i dont know who the lense is.... didnt really read the specs.

its one image thats recorded btw, the software "decodes" it so you can look around the image, does a pretty good job of it.

Adam.... does the GEO do the decoding on the computer or in the camera? the Mobotix cameras does everything in the camera and if GEO does the same and it looks the same I think Mobotix will not be so happy about this. FYI with the Mobotix camera you only need a computer to view the recorded video because the NVR is built into the camera.

Also is the GEO IP66 rated?

Edited by Guest

http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/Prod_GVIPCAMH264Fisheye4.asp

Most likely decoding would be done through the activeX or client software as with all geo stuff.

Seams like a toy compared to the Mobotix camera.

Here is a Mobotix Q24 mounted outside on the front of a house.

lol well they are all toys, especially since they cant see much under low light

Mobotix has a B/W low light version " title="Applause" />

Mobotix has a B/W low light version " title="Applause" />

thats more like it

how much ??

actually .. wonder how that will work in the club ...

how low light is it though being Megapixel? actually curious now ..

Yeah that mobotix looks way better quality then the geovision... but im sure its really expensive right? Also how do you "decode" the fisheye representation? With geovision, since i use a geovision system, in 8.4 they added more buttons for fisheye. The geovision fisheye camera also has a built in web interface, just like their other IP cameras. I dont use that as i stream it to my DVR.

Its only 1 or so megapixels though i believe, but they have a higher one coming out im hoping is really good quality. For what it is its pretty damn good, but id like to see better with a newer camera of course.

Yeah that mobotix looks way better quality then the geovision... but im sure its really expensive right? Also how do you "decode" the fisheye representation? With geovision, since i use a geovision system, in 8.4 they added more buttons for fisheye. The geovision fisheye camera also has a built in web interface, just like their other IP cameras. I dont use that as i stream it to my DVR.

Its only 1 or so megapixels though i believe, but they have a higher one coming out im hoping is really good quality. For what it is its pretty damn good, but id like to see better with a newer camera of course.

The Q24 is $999 but that includes everything you need but a POE injector.. unlike the GEO all of the decoding is done inside the camera along with the recoding with the built in NVR with 8GB of storage. Also the VOIP and audio settings as very cool.

The Q24 is $999 but that includes everything you need but a POE injector.. unlike the GEO all of the decoding is done inside the camera along with the recoding with the built in NVR with 8GB of storage. Also the VOIP and audio settings as very cool.

The list price for the Q24 is $1548

The list price for the Geo is $550

Thats a huge difference, we all know that they can both be had online for cheaper, in the case of Geo 1/2 the price, which makes the Geo one well within the budget of most. The Geo one definitely will hit a huge majority of the market that cannot afford the Mobotix, at least for indoors. Ofcourse without the Geo software it will probably be useless though, but even that is cheap with a 1 channel NVR license (for their IP cameras) being just $50 list price, or free with existing Geo systems. According to the specs the Geo also has VOIP (built in mic and audio).

The list price for the Q24 is $1548

The list price for the Geo is $550

Thats a huge difference, we all know that they can both be had online for cheaper, in the case of Geo 1/2 the price, which makes the Geo one well within the budget of most. The Geo one definitely will hit a huge majority of the market that cannot afford the Mobotix, at least for indoors. Ofcourse without the Geo software it will probably be useless though, but even that is cheap with a 1 channel NVR license (for their IP cameras) being just $50 list price, or free with existing Geo systems. According to the specs the Geo also has VOIP (built in mic and audio).

Rory your pricing on the Mobotix is incorrect see here>>>> http://www.mobotix.com/eng_US/Products/Cameras/Hemispheric-Q24?tab=25957#tab

So the Geo the $550 plus a computer for recording. Mobotix has that all built into the camera.

Also yes GEO has (built in mic and audio) but it is not VOIP. I have a VOIP video phone on my desk can direct connect to the camera and have a full duplex conversion with the person and see them on the display.

So the Geo the $550 plus a computer for recording. Mobotix has that all built into the camera.

And what will happen if Mobotix is stolen ?

And what will happen if Mobotix is stolen ?

Same thing that will happen if the computer is stolen

But Mobotix has some tricks so to prevent you form losing your video " title="Applause" />