Toaster

Q-See QT428 8CH DVR consumer review (with pictures)

Hello All,

The biggest difference I can see is that the Q-See 428 comes with Cmos Cameras capable of up to 100' night vision and the Swan Degend and Deter comes with CCD cameras that do up to 65'. I am torn between the two. Are there any other systems in this price range that I shold consider over these two?

James

James:

I have first-hand experience with the QT428-based system and another Q-See system based on the 4-channel QC-444 DVR that came with 4x cameras having similar specs to those of the Swann (1/4" Sony CCD with 3.6mm lens). The QT428 is an 8-channel DVR so even if you buy the $300 4-camera system now, you can add another 4 cameras at a later date if you need to. With the Swann system, you get a 4-channel DVR so if you wanted to add extra cameras, you would need to get another DVR.

Another nice thing about the Qt428 is that it has 8 alarm inputs and an alarm output. This lets you integrate the DVR with an alarm system and have it trigger an alarm (output) based on motion detection, or conversely, start recording from a specific camera based on an alarm being triggered (input). For an extra $50, you may be better off with the flexibility of the 8-channel DVR.

Hello All,

The biggest difference I can see is that the Q-See 428 comes with Cmos Cameras capable of up to 100' night vision and the Swan Degend and Deter comes with CCD cameras that do up to 65'. I am torn between the two. Are there any other systems in this price range that I shold consider over these two?

James

James:

I have first-hand experience with the QT428-based system and another Q-See system based on the 4-channel QC-444 DVR that came with 4x cameras having similar specs to those of the Swann (1/4" Sony CCD with 3.6mm lens). The QT428 is an 8-channel DVR so even if you buy the $300 4-camera system now, you can add another 4 cameras at a later date if you need to. With the Swann system, you get a 4-channel DVR so if you wanted to add extra cameras, you would need to get another DVR.

Another nice thing about the Qt428 is that it has 8 alarm inputs and an alarm output. This lets you integrate the DVR with an alarm system and have it trigger an alarm (output) based on motion detection, or conversely, start recording from a specific camera based on an alarm being triggered (input). For an extra $50, you may be better off with the flexibility of the 8-channel DVR.

For cheap residential use there is nothing wrong with the dvr --- but as a set with those cameras!!

Thank you both for your reply. If what brandon says is true. These systems as is. Are theft deferents at momost. I live in a rural area. So night vision is not critical. When I am on vacation my neighbors know. And would see night activity. But day time they have no direct line of sight. So may not see someone loading up a van for example.

What Damara can I upgrade to. That foul say read a license plate @ 60'? One or two upgraded cameras would be enough. How much would I need to spend for an adequate system frm the start?

Sorry about the broken language. I am responding from my phone. I am on vacation!

James

Thank you both for your reply. If what brandon says is true. These systems as is. Are theft deferents at momost. I live in a rural area. So night vision is not critical. When I am on vacation my neighbors know. And would see night activity. But day time they have no direct line of sight. So may not see someone loading up a van for example.

What Damara can I upgrade to. That foul say read a license plate @ 60'? One or two upgraded cameras would be enough. How much would I need to spend for an adequate system frm the start?

Sorry about the broken language. I am responding from my phone. I am on vacation!

James

Post a drawing of your facility ---- separate each area into quadrants, define in each quadrant the concerns you have and the solution you desire...then I will tell you what cameras to put there.

Just For you ---- Here's the actual TVT DVR you might be looking at ---- probably the same quality of images from those cameras --- the DVR is great, the cameras as you can see suck!

Screenshot12-1.png

Screenshot13-1.png

Screenshot14-1.png

Finally got my QT428...

I'm pretty happy with it so far... But I am having trouble viewing playback from another PC. It shows it live nicely, but when I hit play, it say a codec is needed, click to download. So I do, and install, and still doesn't work. Same message...

Both PC's I tried it on so far, are Win 7, one is 32 and the other 64 bit...

Same message on both...

Any idea's?

Thanx,

Ron

Probably restart IE, and if it says anything else about the codec, set it to always run, use, etc it. Basically, tell it to USE the codec.

Internet Explorer is DUMB when it comes to these things!!

hello Iam posting this here because I cant find a topic on the 2308se DVR.

I am looking for a user's guide or manual for this product. i was just given this DVR, when i plug the system in there is one long beep, and the blue power light comes on. I have no signal to my VGA monitor...I was thinking that the DVR got set to componet and would like to know how to reset it..

Hold play or esc (or both) while powering up. If I remember that's how to switch between initial display output modes, or just hook up a tv and or monitor.

Do you have the Q-see branded one or the TVT branded one?

Hi gang. I'm new to this forum. I've been reading along this post trying to make a decision on a security system for my home. Let me tell you, reading all this info posted can make a person crazy. I've been Googling til I can't Google anymore and I haven't gotten a step closer to a purchase because I am just overly confused. Basically, the only thing I am sure of is the price I want to pay. To give you and idea, I've been shopping at Costco, BJ's, TigerDirect, Amazon and Buy.com.

I know nothing about any of this equipment, whether it be the DVR or the cameras. The camera part is really the most confusing. I live in a suburban developement. A lot of homes with 60' x 100' properties. My particular home has lots of angles, so I was looking at 8 camera systems to make sure I'm covered.

I've narrowed it down to 2 systems and only priced $100.00 difference. I know I'm at the low end of the security spectrum, but I just want to make sure that the one I pick is the worse equipment of the two.

My choices at this time:

Q-See QS408-803-5. Includes the QS408 DVR and 8 QSDS14273W 1/4" CCD cameras. $399 at BJ's

Q-See QT528-836-1. Includes the QT528 DVR and 8 QSN5265C 1/3" CMOS cameras. $499 at Costco.

Any thoughts and opinions would be truely appreciated, especially if you say it in a way I understand.

hi. jimbo120. box systems are never a good idea. and the wire kits always need replacing as do the power supplies (if you want to upgrade a camera)

a good sign of a bad system .... (as like costco) $350 off list price.

if you have a low budget. it is always best to build your system over time.

Thanks. Keeping in mind of the budget, any recommendations? In my search I found a company Digimerge DVR that wasn't badly priced, but I have no idea which cameras to use with it. CCD, CMOS? The camera is the most confusing. The DVR is pretty straight foward, I think. As long as it records on motion and e-mails me, I'm happy. I just can't get past the carmera issue.

The DVR is pretty straight foward, I think. As long as it records on motion and e-mails me, I'm happy.

hi. i would take more time in picking a DVR. with a poor dvr it does not matter what camera you buy $20 to $300 the image will still be poor.

i would take a look at the dahua range of DVRs and i would work on the price for a budget camera at no less than $50 each.

CCD all the way!

You will be disappointed with boxed systems once you have a real system.

Check out my thread in my signature for what I used. CNB vandal-domes with a Samsung SRD-870DC DVR. CNB offers great price, and the quality beats many more expensive cameras. I used models VCM-24VF and DBM-24VF.

Don't think twice about 4-channel, just buy an 8-channel.

The other DVR quickly started to restart randomly... I finally realized it did it whenever the HDD filled up. My guess is the HDD had an issue, and NOT the dvr itself, though I never actually tested my theory by replacing the HDD - I'm 99% sure that doing so would have solved it. Instead the place of purchase offered me a replacement because I was unsatisfied with its performance and I took the opportunity to upgrade to 30fps d1 qt528 model, which I then installed at work, and transplanted the 428 from the store to home, so now the store get 30fps d1 and the house gets 7.5fps d1.

I bought one of these (4 cams which are pretty good, sample shots in another post viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26653) cables and this DVR for $300 (total). I needed a bullet in one spot around the house and figured I would use the DVR as a backup to the main rig.

After a week the hard drive started making a scraping sound. Ordered another (Costco allows returns w/ low hassle) and after a few days would stop recording - swapped out the HD (WD green) with another but still had problems. Put the new hard drive in the first one (it also had a WD green) and for the last few hours it has been working we'll see...

Jimbo120,

I brought the Q-See QT528 from Costco and love it! It came with quality (Q-See) R59 cables and a Distribution Power Supply Box not one of those splitters. The set-up I bought had 4 - 1/3" CCD Sony sensor cameras rated at 520tvl.

link-

[edit by mod-please no store links, manufacturer only]

For critical front door and close up locations I spend the extra money on CNB VCM-24VF VANDAL DOME Cameras.

I have a two storey house and I intend to put the cameras up under the eaves of the roof which is two times as high as a one storey house. I suspect around 22' high vertically

Do you recommend I get the qt 528 over the qt 428 which offers 100 ft night vision over just 40 ft? Or is it better to save the extra money?

Secondly, I plan to have one of these cameras pointed at my door but this camera like the rest will be on the under the eave of the two storey roof. will I be able to have this one camera provide a zoom coverage instead of wide angle?

Thanks

I just ordered this today from costco.. starting to plan my system. Has anyone used the alarm input/outputs before with this? What kind of stuff can you do with it?

I just ordered this today from costco.. starting to plan my system. Has anyone used the alarm input/outputs before with this? What kind of stuff can you do with it?

I ordered the QT528 with the 8 520 tvl CMOS cameras

sorry forgot to answer, I saw a schematic to it, is just a normally open connection that closes those two contacts, you could hook it up to a buzzer with a battery in series to alert you audibly upon motion I suppose.

Anyone using the android apps with these? I can only get supercam pro to work, and I can only see channel 1. Also if I use the Internet explorer mode or the supercam, the connections drops after about 30 seconds. Anyone else have theirs working on android?

I tried meye a asee both say connection successful, then no video, then timeout error.

I added ports 9000, 80, 100, and 16004 to my firewal port forwarding. But I have the same error with my phone on my local wifi lan same issue?

So any of you with the qt-428, I have a question.

I currently have a qc-444. When setting up recording, under scheduling of motion recording I can set a pre-alarm time. This feature is great, and allows the clip of motion recording to go prior to the motion being detected and save it in the clip. If I set it for 10 seconds, I get 10 seconds prior to motion detection included with my clips.

Is there a pre-alarm feature on the qt-428? primarily someone running the latest firmware could answer?...

Thanks!