Hey all,

I have 2 CCTV cameras (each 4W max) that I would like to connect to my network using PoE. As my switch does not provide for PoE the other option would be using a PoE injector. I have been recommended the LevelOne POI-2001 Gigabit PoE Injector which provides up to 15W. The POI-2001 has only one input and one output port. Would I require an injector per device, or would I connect the injector to my switch to provide power to any devices requesting PoE (up to a max of 15W)?

Hi there!

You can try multiport PoE switch. We use RAYON FPI400, 4 ports/15.4W each - it cost like $100.

For bigger systems, the best solution, in my opinon, is Cisco SD or SRW PoE switch (SD208P, SRW208P, SRW208MP, SRW224G4P...). They are not cheap but they are the best solution on the market.

Does the fact that differnt cameras have differnt requirements as far as the voltage?

I think some of my cameras are 5volts and I know others are 12volts.

Power-over-Ethernet is a defined standard (IEEE-802.3af) that designates a minimum power at a minimum voltage. PoE typically runs 44-48VDC. Cameras that support it have to be able to accept that voltage via the network port. *THAT DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL ACCEPT IT AT THE POWER TERMINALS*

Most cameras operate at a voltage much less then poe levels of 44-48volts. The reason that poe is such a high voltage is it sent across relatively thin wires of cat 5 or cat 6 and they would not be thick enough to handle a 12 or 5 volt at a suffecient amperage to power the cameras at a distance. Instead they use a higher voltage at a lower current, and then have the camera convert this to a lower voltage and a higher current.

You need either a switch with PoE ports, or an individual injector for each camera.

what is the difference between an injector and a switch?

I want a multi port poe injector about 4/5 port will do for my domestic needs.

Just want o keep all cabling a little bit tidy, any suggestions

You need either a switch with PoE ports, or an individual injector for each camera.

what is the difference between an injector and a switch?

I want a multi port poe injector about 4/5 port will do for my domestic needs.

Just want o keep all cabling a little bit tidy, any suggestions

An injector is a single PoE source where a PoE switch is multi port. And a switch is also a network bridge. Someone else might be better able to describe it in laymans terms. I could try but a switch has a bunch of roles.

An injector is intended to be just a single device to be plugged in-line to add PoE. You might be able to find a multi-port model, but I suspect the price point would make a PoE switch more efficient, as injectors take up extra space as well.

This youtube video helped me set up my POE Injector. It doesnt really matter what brand they all install the same, but I bought the INJ-24 from [mod edit: store link removed]

You need a VIDEO to show you how to set up a PoE injector? Pretty weak advertising, really...

How hard is it to plug in a power supply and two cables?