Toaster

Suggestions for REAR VIEW camera for my car?

Anyone have any suggestions for a decent outdoor weather proof rear view backup camera for a car? The one I've been using was NOT weather proof, so it's about done.

Would like something fairly covert - That way people won't mess with it in parking lots and stuff.

what sort of mounting do you need?

to be covert you need to fix it into bumper or door rather than an external mount.

I use a small mini cam with mirror function in a housing on my tow bar.

172777777_photobucket_3149_-1.jpg

I also have the screen in my car set up so that when I put the car into reverse the video screen switches over to a full screen backup view. Works great. Backing up is a breeze.

.... Works great. Backing up is a breeze.

I seem to recall a recent dumpster incident where all the camera's in the world couldn't help you out!

Sweet 4 cam car system. Do you have a post or a tutorial of how you set that up? I always wanted to do something like that but have no experience running wire through a vehicle.

Yeah man, that quad view system looks amazing! I'd love to do that, according to the youtube page its about $1500???

Like Seanhawg, I would very much like information, pictures - whatever you'd like to share " title="Applause" />

.... Works great. Backing up is a breeze.

I seem to recall a recent dumpster incident where all the camera's in the world couldn't help you out!

i run a ktc mini cam for the front. despite being higher res its not a big step up from the previous 420 cheapy. but it does handle changing light a bit better. biggest change was the lens. going from 3.6mm to 6mm made a lot of difference. but still it doesn't get plate numbers unless you almost hit them.

rear is just a standard cheap 420 CCD reversing camera with an older sony chip. tho lens has been changed which is not really suited to the camera so colour washes out but it gets number plates out to 5m easy enough.

the lower res doesn't seam to be much of a big deal, the lower res cameras tend to work better in low light. even a 380 would work fine and i would even look at getting B/W. (or adjustable camera so you could switch it to B/W).

big draw back is externally mounted cameras cop rain and dirt. you have to keep cleaning them. much better if you can put them behind the window where the windscreen wipers can keep the window clear.

IR is best mounted separately.

Yes, I still run the Aver 1304MOB. The only problem I have is it seens to eat hard drives every 9 months or so, and on really cold days it goes into hard-drive protect mode for the first couple of minutes of the journey.

I have two front-facing cameras. Both identical, except one is zoomed in really tight and can pick up a license plate from 3 carlengths away, and the other is a really wide-angle lens that can see traffic light color until I'm well past the line. I find I need to run both cameras to get the best coverage. I suppose you could run one single full 1080P camera (gs600 dvr) and then still have enough resolution to get something of a 'zoom' effect in the middle... But I also like having two cameras looking forward in case one fails. (happens more than you think, usually vibration causes a connection to work loose)

The front-facing cameras are bolted to a strip of aluminum that is attached to two RAM suction mounts. All of those parts are covered in black fabric. The combination of dark tinted windows and black fabric mounted behind the sun strip across the top of the car makes the cameras almost invisible.

172777777_photobucket_3374_-1.jpg

172777777_photobucket_3375_-1.jpg

Back to the original question: you could always go with something purpose-built:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/DriveWinter/WinterCarCare/IncarEntertainment/PRD~0352518P/Yada%252B3.5-in%252BBack-Up%252BCamera.jsp?locale=en

Camera mounts to the license plate bolts and is pretty inconspicuous... not "covert", but not obvious either.

I've seen versions with a GPS built into the monitor as well - operates in GPS mode normally, switches to camera when you put the car in reverse.

nice way to do the front cams.

my 1304 dropped an HD screw onto the board and burnt it out so i'm back onto my old one.

a lot of the cheap reversing kits use cheap cmos cameras which can be horrible in low light or changeable light. also i would keep away from wireless (they still need power cable so you still need to wire them) as the wireless screens pick up all other wireless cameras around and cop a lot of interference. trouble is there is huge amounts of gear that use that frequency range. i know of people who pick up baby monitors, security cameras etc when driving past.

for the sake of a few meters of cable its not worth the hassle.