fdan4817

Calculating Camera Coverage

We putting cameras in a manufacturing environment. We will be using KT&C 380 TVL cameras with 3.6-4mm wide angle lenses. Obviously, we are not concerned about a significant level of detail. We are mostly recording in case of some type of accident on a piece of machinery. We want to be able to have a general idea what happened based on objective evidencce.

What I am trying to calculate in some semi-scientific way is the area of coverage for each of these cameras (between 60-80 when we are all done). I want to put them in the best place to catch the most "action."

Is there some way based on the mounting height, etc. to determine the area of coverage for a camera. We are doing layout drawings of this and want to try to estimate on these drawings the coverage areas of the cameras.

fdan4817,

You could spend hours with a calculator, paper and pen, or you could do it the easy way.

If you are using 1/3" cameras, you can easily obtain the horizontal angle of view for any given lens, from the manufacturers data (e.g. a 4mm lens should be around 65 degrees).

Simply use an angle gauge to mark up the cameras coverage on a piece of paper, then cut out the shape and place it on your site drawing. You can then move the camera/lens coverage pattern around to find the most appropriate places to mount the camera. If you want, you can make up a set of coverage indicators for different camera /lens combinations.

If you want to draw onto your plans, use stiff card instead of paper to make a template, and then simply draw around it.

In practice, correct camera location is far more scientific than the rudimentary technique I've suggested, but either way, it should do the job for you.

Incidentally, if your budget will stretch the extra few bucks for 560+ line resolution cameras, it would be well worth considering.

You could download VideoCAD (software that calculates for you)

They have a free 30 day trial, it is pretty nice to give you a numeric reference plan.

scottj

http://cctvcad.com/

Thanks for the advice...I will look into the cost of the higher resolution cameras and pass it up the food chain.

The problem is that even at only $20 more a piece (just a figure I threw out with no basis in research) that comes out to at least an additional $1200 for the whole project.

scottj

Thanks for the info...I figured someone had some software like that but hadn't had the chance to go looking.

What I am trying to calculate in some semi-scientific way is the area of coverage for each of these cameras (between 60-80 when we are all done). I want to put them in the best place to catch the most "action."

Is there some way based on the mounting height, etc. to determine the area of coverage for a camera.

Sure you can google many different field of view calculators. Some of them go in 3D. If you have time can give a try to "CCTV Design Tool"

See video tutorials

Edited by Guest

You can also get a viewfinder like the Computar VM300 and take it to each planned location:

VM300.jpg

Or you could get a 12VDC camera with a calibrated zoom lens, an LCD monitor and a battery pack and use them to find the best camera locations and lens selection. This also allows you to show your customer what they will see.

You can also get a viewfinder l and take it to each planned location

Sometimes, you have to figure out the lens focal-length before location is acessible - like second floor of a building in process of contraction.

You can also get a viewfinder like the Computar VM300 and take it to each planned location:

VM300.jpg

Or you could get a 12VDC camera with a calibrated zoom lens, an LCD monitor and a battery pack and use them to find the best camera locations and lens selection. This also allows you to show your customer what they will see.

And then get a pic grabber as well.. capture the agreed image, compile them, and get customer to sign off on the location and the image to be seen. This will greatly reduce the incidents where customers wants to shift the location of the camera after installation.

or.........Get with this century and put hi-res IP cams in ?

yes they are twice the price but you need less of them and the results are very good.

option1

Analog 60+ cams> muddy pictures and tons of wiring and AMPS coax etc

option2

Digital maybe 20 cams and clear crisp images.... cat5-6 POE sweet ......

And you will have what happened not a analog story from a distance...

option3

roof mounted fisheye lens's with the de-wrapping software

just some thoughts.....

zmx

option3

roof mounted fisheye lens's with the de-wrapping software

just some thoughts.....

zmx

Hmm.. if using grandeye's fisheye's cam..... 1 fisheyes cam i can buy 50 pcs of normal 1/3" sony super had dsp ccd dome cam.