ag22plug

Motion sensing issue

I am setting up my new Maplin DVD in my bedsit and i have the problem that when i switch the light off to go to bed the DVR records and records ; this also happens when i put a cover over a camera. in normal light the motion sensed recording is fine.

This problem doesnt occur if i use one of the 2 cameras supplied but only when i use my own hires hidden cams without ir.

any ideas ?

Sentient 250GB H.264 Network DVR

I am setting up my new Maplin DVD in my bedsit and i have the problem that when i switch the light off to go to bed the DVR records and records ; this also happens when i put a cover over a camera. in normal light the motion sensed recording is fine.

This problem doesnt occur if i use one of the 2 cameras supplied but only when i use my own hires hidden cams without ir.

any ideas ?

Sentient 250GB H.264 Network DVR

its a maplins unit (b grade) returned already and re packed. dont worry about your motion settings .... try and burn footage off ........... dont leave it to long to take it back for a refund

One problem may be is whenever you cover up the lens on the camera or when it gets real dark, it results in a snowy picture. The snow will trigger the motion sensing on your DVR. Try completely unplugging the camera.

One problem may be is whenever you cover up the lens on the camera or when it gets real dark, it results in a snowy picture. The snow will trigger the motion sensing on your DVR. Try completely unplugging the camera.

Yes, likely possibility is high gain noise.

Best,

Christopher

Yes, likely possibility is high gain noise.

Best,

Christopher

This would be my guess as well.

You might also try adjusting the sensitivity or the scan range to reduce the number of false alarms.

I had an IR camera with motion activated recording and I got a lot of the same snow issues. I adjusted the sensitivity and it seemed to do alright, although I probably don't have as much "snow" as other rooms might.

Thanks to all for the advice ; i thought it might be a noise issue,but it shows how rubbish the motion sensing software is.

Ive decided to just record continuously cos i cant trust the motion sensing.

cheers Chris.

Thanks to all for the advice ; i thought it might be a noise issue,but it shows how rubbish the motion sensing software is.

Ive decided to just record continuously cos i cant trust the motion sensing.

cheers Chris.

The motion sensing software is doing it's job. Your cameras and lighting are "rubbish".

Get some good IR cameras or improve ambient lighting.

Try IDing someone in the dark with your current setup - yes, someone was "clearly" there - that's about all you'll get with your current setup.

I am with Tomcctv, if you are using a Maplins unit then don’t expect the best. It is interesting that they can sell a 4 camera system (4 cameras & dvr) and in the same shop they have a single camera that cost more than the 4 cam system. Ask the shop assistant why this is!

Maplin rant aside.

In low light cameras produce allot of noise (grainy images) if you are recording only on motion the system sees this noisy image as motion. To a dvr motion detection means the current image is different to the previous image or key frame. The “grainy” image is constantly changing as the camera tries to compensate for the low light.

If you look at the file size on your night time recordings you will find they are much bigger.

If you are on a low budget and your Maplin unit has alarm inputs then buy a PIR motion detector, add it to the alarm input and set recording to alarm input.

If you are on a low budget and your Maplin unit has alarm inputs then buy a PIR motion detector, add it to the alarm input and set recording to alarm input.

+1

Best,

Christopher

It is interesting that they can sell a 4 camera system (4 cameras & dvr) and in the same shop they have a single camera that cost more than the 4 cam system. Ask the shop assistant why this is!

Now that would be a REALLY interesting conversation!

It is interesting that they can sell a 4 camera system (4 cameras & dvr) and in the same shop they have a single camera that cost more than the 4 cam system. Ask the shop assistant why this is!

They should say it's because some can only afford the cheaper 4 camera system. Obviously then they are catering to more than one type of customer, and there are more poor people in this world than there are rich. Or something like that ... maybe then how bout a cup of tea mate

Without IR or alot of visible light the cameras are trying to compensate for the low light, hence the noise. Some cameras compensate more than others, meaning more noise, some have noise reduction features, eg. DNR. Best thing to do is either add IR or more visible light.

Thanks again to all for the replies;

The PIR solution seems good if i really must have motion sensing,but in the meantime im going to do continuous recording to reduce my anxiety ; at least i know for sure the footage will be there.

cheers Chris.