Scruit

License Plate Recognition with flat/printed license plates

bottom using negative image .. not same as as full image from camera though:

thing is, what software are you using to capture/process the plate numbers?

I'm not using software to capture the plates. I just play the video back and read the plates.

What we need to confirm is one simple question: "Does the negative image feature of a camera result in a readable image of a printed license plate?"

We know that simply doing a negative of the unreadable image on the PC does not help. This is likely because exporting to JPG has locked in the low contrast in.

I'm not using software to capture the plates. I just play the video back and read the plates.

What we need to confirm is one simple question: "Does the negative image feature of a camera result in a readable image of a printed license plate?"

We know that simply doing a negative of the unreadable image on the PC does not help. This is likely because exporting to JPG has locked in the low contrast in.

ahh man .. after all this work .. some free open source licence plate recognition code out there I found before that would be fun to play with ...

Not wide dynamic but KT&C have a couple TDN IR Bullets with negative image function in the OSD.

2.8-12mm

http://www.ktncusa.com/english/viewtopic.php?t=682

5-50mm

http://www.ktncusa.com/english/viewtopic.php?t=581

I'm thinking I need to stick with WDR as that would hopefully help with the nighttime capture of the front of the car. The headlights make most of the image white and I have to use a bucketload of IR to bring the plate out.

2010_12_31_16_19_57-1.jpg

WDR would hopefully bring out more plate detail while reducing headlight glare. (imaging the plate is the shoplifter and the headlights are the bright windows behind him...)

This is an 82.5mm lens at full zoom.

ahh man .. after all this work .. some free open source licence plate recognition code out there I found before that would be fun to play with ...

Certainly would be. Linky?

While ak357 is looking for his example I'm trying to figure out if it's worth pursuing from a financial perspecitive because of the cameras are $500 then that is just not going to happen.

For me the confirmation will be:

- The plate is illegible on a positive IR image,

AND

- Importing that illegible image into photoshop (etc) and doing a negative image on the PC still results in an equally illegible image

AND

- A plate output using the camera's negative feature IS legible.

IF those three are true, and I can get the camera (Just the box cam, I already have the lens/filter/housing) for about $200 then I'll be all over that.

I was using CNB GN605CT

I think u can still find them quite easy

I was using CNB GN605CT

I think u can still find them quite easy

Bingo: Didnt know CNB had them, guess only in the box cam.

http://www.cnbtec.com/en/html/product/product.php?seqx_prod=1031

Yes, it does have "negative image option"

--------------------------------------

I found one old CNB WDR cam in stock

have to check if its working

So now I can't find an US seller selling the 4162... And although I can find a dozen of o listings for the 605 they're all out of stock.

Still looking...

Found a US based seller who has them listed (not "out of stock") for $159. Seems like a pretty good price.

Box cam is exactly what I need. I already have the enclosure and perfect lens (82.5mm with 52mm threading for the 850nm IR pass filter) working with the current SuperCircuits PC-23C camera.

Box cam is exactly what I need. I already have the enclosure and perfect lens (82.5mm with 52mm threading for the 850nm IR pass filter) working with the current SuperCircuits PC-23C camera.

if u want to wait few days

I will do few shots if my GN605 is working

and show u all possible light combinations

if u want to wait few days

I will do few shots if my GN605 is working

and show u all possible light combinations

I already ordered this camera. Even if the negative funtion does not help, the WDR will be a huge improvement over my existing camera.

I would definitely still be interested in seeing your results, though, as I don't have easy access to a printed plate.

So here is what I have now with the CNB605 installed...

Before: (day)

2010_12_27_12_20_581-1.jpg

After: (day) (The top plate is exposed as normal. The bottom plate has a smoked cover)

2011_01_08_15_30_00-1.jpg

After: (night)

2011_01_08_19_40_43-1.jpg

I need to get my hands on a printed plate to test it...

Also, in my other thread I noted that the the combination of D/N mode in Night and WDR On causes the camera to black out for a split second every couple of seconds.