shaywood

Dollar for Every Post!

I wish I had a dollar for every post where folks are asking about the best camera for a home security system. I've read through so many posts, but I still have the same question! I have a normal home security camera system and want a great all purpose day/night camera that will produce amazing footage - better than the crap sold with most cheap systems. But, which one do I buy?

There is no one all purpose camera. Give us some details about what the camera will be viewing in on, the viewing distance, is it in or outside, the lighting scenario at night, and any other detail you can provide would be great.

Lots of good info on this forum... but at some point you have to just pull the trigger and try for yourself. My best advice is to do this with a trust worthy company who has a reasonable return policy. (Not something that you'll have to pay to ship back out of the country or a huge restocking fee).

Sean' right...cameras are like tools and there's no single tool for every job.

However for residential jobs, we've found something that comes pretty darn close... PM me if interested.

Hello, thanks for the words of inspiration. Like so many, I'm looking for a great outdoor camera that is 3.6 to 6.0, day/night, and high resolution. I currently use a QC444 DVR that is capable of full D1 (at least on one channel). The cameras that I have used in the past have been of the Q-See, Lorex type that produce decent pictures, but nothing that is exceptational. Don't get me wrong, i'm not made of money, but I have to believe there is something affordable that is of higher quality than a run-of-the-mill camera.

The problem is - cameras are a dime-a-dozen with specs that look great. All made in China, or Asia, with instructions written in broken english.

You bring up a good point. Maybe folks should focus on great dealers, rather than cameras.

Agreed... this market is saturated with inlfated spec sheets and cheap Chinese junk... It's become nearly impossible for the average consumer to make a well informed decision without unbiased, honest assitance. That can even be hard to come by on this forum.

Sorry so late in the thread, just found this forum while researching my qc444.

Most times, anything vari-focal is going to be heads above the typical chinese crap you see out there.

I use clinton electronics, ademco/bosch/honeywell, and the best picture I've ever seen via network has been on an Axis 211 IP camera.

Depends on the function, as was said earlier.

Well heck, since this is an old thread I'll use it to do my favorite thing- post pics!

Stock cams that came with my package

DanCamday-1.jpg

Upgrade to better cams, none of which are over 60 bucks

4camday3-1.jpg

4cameday1-1.jpg

4camday2withdinshot-1.jpg

From the looks, I'd bet your upgrade was from CMOS cameras to CCD cameras?

Well heck, since this is an old thread I'll use it to do my favorite thing- post pics!

Stock cams that came with my package

DanCamday-1.jpg

Upgrade to better cams, none of which are over 60 bucks

4camday3-1.jpg

4cameday1-1.jpg

4camday2withdinshot-1.jpg

Yeah, amazing night vision right?! I checked that shortly after and the time was correct on my dvr. Then another check and it was right in remote view. Internet brain freeze I suppose. And yep, upgraded from cmos to CCD. Higher tvl as well.