sequoia

Can motion detect ignore rain AND trigger on *real* events?

I have a dozen cameras watching the exterior areas of my business.

When it rains, nearly all the cameras "go crazy" with detecting motion, recording video, and plugging up my event history so full that it's worthless to try to sort out a "real" event from ordinary rain. Ditto with snow-- that really sends the motion detect crazy.

My DVR offers only pre-set sensitivity settings, such as "Medium", "Lowest", "Low", etc. If I dial them down to be insensitive to rain, they miss a LOT of activity when it is not raining. And the reverse.

Are there any special tricks about how to keep a good "motion detect" capability even while the area being watched is subject to rain and snow?

To be specific, I have one area of my parking lot where I would like to know if a vehicle has arrived, left, or just passed by. I am really hoping to get some sort of all-weather reliable motion detect, at least on this one camera.

Have a look at Optex Beams.

Depending on the DVR you could use them to trigger recording.

Rory's on the right track: you can sometimes use PIR motion detectors to trigger recording on the DVR. Of course, this requires the DVR to support alarm inputs, which if yours is a really cheap one, it may not.

What make and model DVR are you using?

Have a look at Optex Beams.

+1

Optex outdoor PIRs work exceptionally well in the rain. Crow DareDevils have excellent reviews as well.

Best,

Christopher

I have a Vertex DVR from rugged-cctv.com. They specialize with a few industries including car washes. It's the 2nd DVR I have purchased from them and they are now obsoleting this model in favor of something new.

It can accept separate inputs and/or audio per each channel. Records 480fps total with 1G storage. Does a pretty good job for me, with a few complaints here and there of course, and records a good quality image.

If your camera has the IRs built in then it will refect rain/snow etc. How about using a seperate IR illuminator mounted sever feet away from the camera but pointing at the same place? This will also help stop objects close to the camera from being washed out.

For what it's worth, I throw my support in 100% with the Optex cameras. In my experience, they are incredibly dependable.

For what it's worth, I throw my support in 100% with the Optex cameras.

I'm guessing you meant PIRs???

Best,

Christopher

or if there is a sensitivity setting on your dvr, play about with it

The problem here is he already played with the sensitivity. If he lowers it during the rain, he loses real action when it's not raining, and when he increases sensitivity during fair weather he records everything during a storm.

Most DVR's have some sort of I/O alarm input so you could trigger using the motion sensor. I'm from Utah and we have issues with snow causing false alarms as well.

Yes, that is the exact issue. A rain-friendly setting doesn't work without rain, and vice versa.

I'm kicking around the Optex and a receiver. $500 was a little more than I wanted to spend on a PIR but it might be worth it over time.

I'm kicking around the Optex and a receiver. $500 was a little more than I wanted to spend on a PIR but it might be worth it over time.

What's the $500 for? An Optex 402 is under $200, and a Crow Daredevil is $100.

Best,

Christopher

Ugh, I need to do the PIR wireless. So the balance is for a receiver and misc stuff to integrate it with my DVR and other alarm capabilities.

Ugh, I need to do the PIR wireless. So the balance is for a receiver and misc stuff to integrate it with my DVR and other alarm capabilities.

If you need to go wireless, then your best option is probably the Optex VX-402RI PIR with Inovonics transmitter, and the Inovonics EN4204 receiver, or if you need relays, then the EN4204R. You should be able to get the PIRs for about $170 each and the receiver for about $120, more or less.

Best,

Christopher

If you need to go wireless, then your best option is probably the Optex VX-402RI PIR with Inovonics transmitter, and the Inovonics EN4204 receiver, or if you need relays, then the EN4204R. You should be able to get the PIRs for about $170 each and the receiver for about $120, more or less.

Best,

Christopher

Hi, I know this thread is old but just gonna ask: after I read the manual for EN4204 and 4204R, the R version has Form C relay output which can be easily connected to a DVR. How about 4204? Can it be connected to DVR? according to the manual, it has Collector Output? What exactly is that? The reason I ask because the 4204 is cheaper than the R version.

A collector output is the collector lead of a switching transistor that is switching to the device's earth. It is the same as a relay output except that they haven't supplied the relay - you need to do that. If it is a (open) collector output then you should also be provided with power (12v) terminal to facilitate the relay wiring.

Edited by Guest

A collector output is the collector lead of a switching transistor that is switching to the device's earth. It is the same as a relay output except that they haven't supplied the relay - you need to do that. If it is a (common) collector output then you should also be provided with power (12v) terminal to facilitate the relay wiring.

is it this one you are talking about?

http://www.altronix.com/products/product.php?name=RBOC7

Best,

Christopher

Yikes, did not realize how old this thread was. I'm new to the thread but this looks like a product that I could also use so thanks for the information anyway. I'm looking at the long range photobeams that they offer advertising a 350' range. I would like to use these for fence line protection, they look as if they would suit my needs well. Do you know the range of the wireless units reliable reception? That would make or break the wireless functionality for me, otherwise wiring would work for me I suppose.

Still a great looking solution. Now for one that works longer than 350'...

Not sure which units you are looking at, but I think the long range photo beams typically don't include the wireless alarm signal. That said, virtually quality any wireless alarm system you select should be able to cover several hundred feet outdoors.

Best,

Christopher

I'm looking at the exact units you mentioned in your post I quoted, and thanks again for your reply. Several hundred feet would work in some locations I have in mind, some I'd still have to hard wire. I'd be fine with battery operation and only running an alarm wire so that might work.

I have 50+ locations with fence lines to cover, though most are not an issue at locations where break-ins have occurred these would really help. Usually thieves hit the same areas of fence too, so something covering it would be great. I'm looking into it more now, thanks.

Looked into other full on fence alarms but you're talking $4000-$5000 at the cheapest for only 100m of coverage and physical repairs once they cut it. That is way too much for us as we have way too much fencing lol.