squale

How to stop Geovision software from rebooting computer?

I have my Geovision software running with 3 cameras that record on motion. Sometimes my cameras lose signal because I need to put new bnc adaptors on them.. but what happens is when the camera losses signal, I get a "Video Lost" message on the software and then after a little while the software will reboot the computer. I DO NOT have the watchdog cable plugged in and the software still reboots the computer, so I am not sure how it can even do this... what is the point of the watchdog cable then?

does anybody know how to disable the software from rebooting the computer?

Thanks

the system is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.

There are two forms of "watchdog", one being hardware (the jumper to the reset pins on the mainboard) and software, which is monitoring for events such as system malfunction, hangs, and video signal lost.

I am not sure why you have to keep changing BNC connections? It sounds like fixing that issue is the priority rather than disabling the watchdog.

scottj

can you disable the software watchdog? I have the hardware watchdog disabled because the cable isn't connected.... by the way, what is the hardware reset used for if it already has a software reset?

I also notice that it will restart the software a couple times first and then it will finally reboot the system, why does it do this first?

The software watchdog cannot be disabled without using C++ 6.0, it is not designed in the geo software to be altered by the end user.

the hardware watchdog is used when a user shuts down the main system geo software. If you shut off the recording and close the software down, you would have approx. 4-5 minutes at the windows desktop before the system would restart with the hardware watchdog active.

The reason why your system tries to restart the software multiple times currently, is because it is trying to rectify the video lost signal upon restart. Typically the geo system will attempt 4 restarts before it times out again and goes through the waiting period before software restart via watchdog.

scottj

okay so with just the software, it will restart the program 4 times, then it will reboot the computer? then restart the software 4 more times, then reboot the computer again? and keep doing this as long as the video lost signal is still there?

now with the hardware watchdog, how can it reboot the computer if the software is shut down? what command can the software give to it to tell it to reboot.. I don't get this if the software isn't actively running?

yes that is exactly what happens.

now regarding the hardware watchdog.....

the jumper wire is to be attached from the watchdog pins on the Geo board, to the reset pins on the system board. What happens is when the geo software is not running (off completely), the geo board has a time generator circuit that sends a "reboot" signal to the mainbaord, thus causing a hard reset of the system overall. I actually do not remember if the reset signal is a NO or NC type circuit, i would have to verify.

scottj

hmm.. when I DID have the watchdog cable connected, and the software was not running, I didn't remember the computer rebooting automatically.. is there a setting you have to enable for this to happen?

while we are on the subject, do you know if the users of the version 6.11 software get a free upgrade to the 7.0 version of the software? do you need a dongle or something now with the 7.0 version?

If you installed the jumper correctly, it should work. There is not a special setting to enable for the hardware watchdog feature.

The 6.11 upgrade to 7.0 will require a dongle for you. The new versions of the boards themselves do not require the dongle as they will support version 7.0 right out of the box.

If you need assistance getting a dongle, contact me offline via a PM and we can discuss your options.

scottj.