jeromephone

lightening protection

What is the proper way to install a POE camera on a steel light Pole.

We have a poe camera and we intend to install cat 5 lightening protection. From what I read I should insulate the camera from the steel pole for added protection. Is this how you guys do it or do you just mount directly to the pole. Our Cat 5 will run in a seperate conduit from any high voltage wires.

What is the proper way to install a POE camera on a steel light Pole.

We have a poe camera and we intend to install cat 5 lightening protection. From what I read I should insulate the camera from the steel pole for added protection. Is this how you guys do it or do you just mount directly to the pole. Our Cat 5 will run in a seperate conduit from any high voltage wires.

First question, what are you trying to protect?

Best,

Christopher

If I had to make a choice I would rather lose the camera than burn down the building.

What about people?

This is my layman's understanding. If the grid takes a hit, you can take measures to protect your equipment (e.g. surge protectors). You can also take measures to reduce the chances that your building and/or equipment will be hit (e.g. add a lightening rod). If the camera takes a hit, it's toast. However, there are measures you can take to try and avoid injury to people and damage to other equipment by diverting the energy to ground before it gets to the rest of the system.

Best,

Christopher

The lead in wire needs to enter the building with a discharge unit mounted adjacent to the point of entry. The discharge unit ground needs to be connected with a short lead to a ground rod and that rod needs to be bonded to the building's ground. That does not mean you can place the discharge unit on the roof and run a ground down the building! The camera lead has to run down the side of the building to ground before it enters the structure. Penetration to the building needs to be near effective grounding. If you take a direct hit to the pole or to the power entering the building, the camera and the monitoring equipment is going to be toast. Insulating the camera lead from the lamp creates a hazard for anyone touching the camera if there's a malfunction. It should be bonded there too. That is at odds with getting clean video because it will introduce ground loops. Good differential signal processing at both ends will fix that.