cobe43

Mounting to the grid

using lower bar, gangbox on top side, camera underneath, mount camera to gang box. connections in the gang box. just theory.

Heavy duty toggle bolts

Nope! Too much drilling even if you wanted to use them. You definitely don't want to be drilling structural steel supports such as these. They make a whole series of beam clamps for every application. Learn how to use them and your life will be a lot easier.

Heavy duty toggle bolts

Nope! Too much drilling even if you wanted to use them. You definitely don't want to be drilling structural steel supports such as these. They make a whole series of beam clamps for every application. Learn how to use them and your life will be a lot easier.

No drilling required, you go between the gaps of the beams. Trust me i've done it many times and is the quickest and cheapest solution

Heavy duty toggle bolts

No drilling required, you go between the gaps of the beams. Trust me i've done it many times and is the quickest and cheapest solution

OK, I am assuming you're using a large fender washer as you run the risk of having the toggle shift and fall between the gap? I've seen this done before without the washer and it surely was a comical sight.

Attaching the camera to the gangbox alone should hold them both in place with the bars between them?

Beam clamps very easy.... doing this at a job right now.

Beam clamps are easy. Whether you use them to mount a junction box first and the camera to the j box or just using them to mount the camera directly. The other thing the beam clamps do for you is no drilling of structural members. This may sound goofy, but in some areas the building inspectors are very strict about this. Unless you want to get a structural engineer to sign off saying that the holes you made are ok, just just the beam clamps and walk away with no worries. Just my 2 cents.

Beam clamps very easy.... doing this at a job right now.

Beam clamps are easy. Whether you use them to mount a junction box first and the camera to the j box or just using them to mount the camera directly. The other thing the beam clamps do for you is no drilling of structural members. This may sound goofy, but in some areas the building inspectors are very strict about this. Unless you want to get a structural engineer to sign off saying that the holes you made are ok, just just the beam clamps and walk away with no worries. Just my 2 cents.

You got it! We all know a hole for a 1/4 x 20 bolt isn't going to cause any structural problems, but it surely will cause a lot of grief as you mention. Love beam clamps as they prevent a lot of this misery. Also, I know most of these installers are also using EMT or other suitable conduit instead of draping the cable over the support beams.

Here's a picture of something similar to what we just discovered and like...

That isn't it exactly... we use bridle rings and beam clamps and/ or ceiling grid wire clamps. Pretty slick looking, and it makes pulling/ removing/ rerouting easy! Much better than J hooks in my opinion...

20358.thumb.jpg.c4591eacfa8cf3023913eb7fea6a2490.jpg

caddy fasterners low voltage book all kinds of good stuff amen to beam clamps! The pics are correct as running cat 5/6 wire now requires a wider support than just the bridal ring they J hook or the yellow plastic insert fullfills the spport requirement.

Here's a picture of something similar to what we just discovered and like...

[attachment=0]20358.jpg[/attachment]

That isn't it exactly... we use bridle rings and beam clamps and/ or ceiling grid wire clamps. Pretty slick looking, and it makes pulling/ removing/ rerouting easy! Much better than J hooks in my opinion...

For anyone interested, Caddy and BLine make a large assortment of low voltage cabling accessories and also fastening solutions. Check them out. Time saving parts. Good pic by the way.