I hope you guys like sore hands with them twist ones or searching for parts and pins. We hate um!

parts and pins? trick is to use good ones .. though ive never had to look for parts for a BNC connector (?), i did notice in the past that the OEM places sold crap connectors though .. the cheap ones are no good.

no sore hands once you use the right wire. They're the only connectors you can buy in this country ... so also makes sense for use to use them .. easiest for maintenance, repair, quick install, plus i dont like big tools .. all my tools fit in my swimtrunks pocket

Now, while everyone is putting so much emphasis on connectors, there are a lot of other things that can go wrong with a camera .. regardless of what connector is used .. spend the extra cash on better cameras, lighting, housings, power protection, and extra security such as alarm beams and physical security.

I just wanted everyone to know that if your are not a coax animal like Rory, who can splice 98% cooper braid with his wisdom teeth, then look into a solution that you would need a pair of pliers to get off. I have great contacts for you Rory, since you are neighbors, we can help you get some things drop shipped next to your thatched hut and palm frond hammock you swing from in between your installs, Brother Man!

Happy Holidays to all you CCTV nutjobs like us!

ADAM!

My experience is that a twist on cannot be pulled off if installed properly. (I've challege hundreds of people at trade shows to pull one off) The problem is the unrealiability of the center pin connection.

For crimps to work well, we need a good quality connector that is designed to fit the guage of the specific wire we are using WITH THE CORRECT DIES for the wire we are using. A generic "one size fits all" crimping tool is unrealiable.

My tech's went out yesterday with the new compression connectors. I'll post our results after I get their feedback.

It seems that twist-on’s aren’t as bad as I originally thought.

The BNC compression connectors seem like they are great, if you have gone through the learning curve and probably spent a few dollars on the connectors you lost in the learning phase.

You might decide against the compression method if you fear buying the tools just to find out you don’t like that method. The twist-ons are cheaper and more forgiving it seems like to me.

VitHoward teaches this stuff and didn’t have anything bad to say about the twist-ons, so it seems like it is more a matter of personal choice?

My only concern is knowing which twist-on to order depending on the diameter of the cable, to insure I get the best fit.

RG59 BNC Connectors .. thats all. Im sure the compressions are the way to go if you're putting a camera up 100' on a pole ..

Jasper,

Please read my other posts. I can put twist-ons on so that won't come off, BUT i've had several service calls where the center conductor failed. I DON"T USE TWIST-ON'S except for temporary test cables in the shop. We only use 3-piece crimps or the new compression fittings on the customers' sites. I hope this clarifies my previous posting.

Howard

What about the consideration of the size of the cable though?

Don’t you still have to order a Twist-on for the specific cable you use?

Or do they have a one size fits all for the most common diameter cable used?

Still haven’t order that simeese cable and was wondering what I needed to order in the way of twist-on for it.

Was looking at the cable you gave me a link too, but I am not sure which twist-ons to order for it or any other cable I might decide to buy?

All connectors have to be right size for the cable being used. It does make a difference whether the cable is RG59, RG5, RG11, RG58 (miniature coax) and whether it is standard PVC covered or plenum rated teflon. By the way, stay away from the foil shielded cable no matter what size. Foil shield is for modulated signals like broadcast TV or cable company. Solid copper center and 95% copper braid is the way to go for CCTV. Hope this helps.

Howard

We only use 3-piece crimps or the new compression fittings on the customers' sites.

Too many parts to accomplish the same damn thing. Too many parts. rings pins, crapola to deal with. I gotta tell ya, if any of you CCTV people - from cable humpers to the friggen boss, can make it to ISCWEST this year, you can watch and test these connectors first hand. The guy at one of the booths offered anyone $50 to pull one of those compression connectos off with their bare hands. I tried like a f*cker to do it, not because I wanted the cash so bad, but wanted to put these things to the test. I love them. They come with bnc, f, rca, sma, etc... everything. One of them is a pain, which is the bnc female type which comes with a brass center pin. I do hate the multi piece ones, but even this is worth it as usually, we used to make two bnc ends and use a barrel connector making this thing like very long and difficult to squeeze into an 1/2" outdoor j-box. Really big pain in the starfish!

Now with the new female plugs and one male, we eliminated the need for the extra barrel, which sometimes would be a problem due to cheaply made connectors, because saving cash used to be our name of the game, not time. Now I realize with jobs piling up on our list, let's spend a little more to get it done right the first damn time and have our guys in attics, on lifts or ladders or squeezed into a network server rack as for as little time possible and that is why we use these F-CONN connectors.

Man this topic got busy a hell!

Who knew?!

Later Gentlemen

ADAM!

I gave Milestek a try for the first time. I would normally use graybar because they have a local office.

They where great, I ordered it around 2 pm and with UPS ground it is making it to my door today.

It is nice to have another vendor to work with.

TRUE STORY!!

Several years ago I was demonstrating the advantages of twist-ons to my boss and fellow techs. Put a male on one end of the coax and a female on the other end. Connected them and started pulling to demonstrate their strength. Horribly embarassed when they suddenly pulled apart with a SNAP. Upon closer examination it became clear that the studs on the female had SHEARED OFF! One of the techs looked at me and sez "Remind me never to pi$$ you off!"

So basically 75 ohm is required for optimum performance?

Im looking at makin bnc cables and I see these connectors on ebay most are 50 ohm but very few are 75 ohm

Should I get the 75 ohm and does it make a big difference?

Exactly. I can’t seem to be able to find BNC connectors sized for the West Penn siamese wire I’m using. The coax portion is RG-59, but the outer jacket is much thinner than standard sized RG-59 coax.

I wouldn't blame the connector if you are using underspec cable... find another cable supplier.

My preference on connectors is:

1. Compression

2. Crimp

3. Solder

4. Twist on

I always use compression connectors for outdoor work and crimps for indoor work... never had a problem with connections on any of my installs thus far. (crosses fingers)