dmiller9

JPEG2000 Compression - Anyone other then avigilon?

before anyone gets sand in their Vagina the H264 cams have the option to change it to Mjpeg like most manufacturers do but the bandwidth is ugly.

A Avigilon 2.0mp at 15ips and 1 key frame per second is 6.0mbps

The same camera in Mjpeg at 15ips is 25mbps.

before anyone gets sand in their Vagina the H264 cams have the option to change it to Mjpeg like most manufacturers do but the bandwidth is ugly.

A Avigilon 2.0mp at 15ips and 1 key frame per second is 6.0mbps

The same camera in Mjpeg at 15ips is 25mbps.

Customers don't care what compression you use all they care about is IDing the plate or person. We have won projects specifically because Avigilon's 5MP JPEG2000 camera could ID plates and no other manufactures 5MP camera could. At one point I wanted to test to see if another manufactures camera could ID the plates under the exact conditions so I ordered a Axis P1347 and put the same Thiea 9-40mm lens on it using the same IR illuminator. I would say the Axis camera with H.264 compression could ID the plates about 25% of the time. When I switched to MJPEG is went up to about 90% while the JPEG2000 camera could pull the plate 100% of the time.

I have told Avigilon this and I think getting rid of the 5MP JPEG2000 camera is a mistake.

I have told Avigilon this and I think getting rid of the 5MP JPEG2000 camera is a mistake.

I'll bet their LPR cameras are still Jpeg2000.

The interesting part to me is using an encoder on a Analog tag camera like an Extreme CCTV.

What if you made every frame a key frame on H264? Did you try that?

I was also curious how your getting enough frame rate with the 5mp Jpeg2000? Slow moving cars?

..(cut)..I have told Avigilon this and I think getting rid of the 5MP JPEG2000 camera is a mistake.

About this point (..only regarding the "5MP") I'm agree with you.

Gvn

I was also disappointed to see Avigilon replace the JPEG2000 video encoders with H.264. I understand the decision to focus on the reduced bandwidth. Just wish there was the option to select either format.

Best,

Christopher

What if you made every frame a key frame on H264? Did you try that?

Is it possible to change the key frame interval on the 5.0-H3-DO1? To maybe 2 seconds?

Wouldn't it be better to have an external IR illuminator, rather than buy the 5.0-H3-DO1-IR, if the operative distance is up to 100'?