I planned to purchase my cable locally, but much to my surprise I can't find anyone who sells all copper. I found a good deal on this cable at a reputable on line store, but they don't specialize in CCTV and most of the cameras are super low end. I'm worried it might be too good of a deal. The only other information I have is one reviewer states it is slightly smaller than normal RG59. Any thoughts?

Brand: LTS

Model: LTS05PCB3

Type: Sensor Extender Cable

Specifications

High Performance Siamese Cable

RG59 Coaxial (95%) Braided + 18/2

18 AWG copper inner conductor

128 wires 95% copper shield

Copper power cord

CM/CL2 rated PVC jacket

Swept Tested 5-3000Mhz

Sequential foot/ Zone marking

UL Listed

FT-4

From the description it looks like real copper RG59. The thing to look out for is the term CCA or copper clad aluminum.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I was just worried because the price is lower than I can find standard RG59, let alone Siamese.

The only other information I have is one reviewer states it is slightly smaller than normal RG59. Any thoughts?

you may find this to be a problem for connecting your BNCs ...... you might find it better to call a local cctv company and see if the will sell you a roll of RG59.

slightly smaller than RG59 .... then its not RG59

From the description it looks like real copper RG59. The thing to look out for is the term CCA or copper clad aluminum.
I haven't seen CCA, but CATV cable is CCS (copper-clad steel).

Made in china cable perhaps, ive used some so called RG59 before and it was thin also, wasnt quite RG58 but the RG59 connectors didnt go on tight, client brought it in themselves. LTC normally sells very cheap stuff though.

I have bought cable before that says it is a copper core. Well yeah that was partially true, Copper Clad is what it turned out to be. If it doesnt come out and say "Solid Copper Center Conductor" then you will have to ask the seller directly. Copper Clad power wires are okay, but you dont want copper clad coax conductor.

Even copper-clad power wire has a reduced distance tolerance (higher voltage drop per unit length) than copper due to its higher DC resistance per foot/meter (that also applies to 24VAC power because 60Hz is essentially the same as DC for these purposes).

One way to test for CCS (copper-clad steel) is with a magnet. If it "sticks" to the center conductor or shield, that is CCS. Of course, if the inner wire is CCA (copper-clad aluminum), the magnet test won't work.

Even copper-clad power wire has a reduced distance tolerance (higher voltage drop per unit length) than copper due to its higher DC resistance per foot/meter (that also applies to 24VAC power because 60Hz is essentially the same as DC for these purposes).

One way to test for CCS (copper-clad steel) is with a magnet. If it "sticks" to the center conductor or shield, that is CCS. Of course, if the inner wire is CCA (copper-clad aluminum), the magnet test won't work.

I just look at the end and if it is clad I don't care what the core is I don't buy it.

How much difference is the price for the proper wire all copper etc?

I don't believe I have lost any jobs because I was a couple of cents off on the cable usually it is labor hours or cam speks.

Our way of looking at is copper clad = trouble now or later

cat 5 other than with baluns or poe don't use

cable found in basement stolen, from construction site, left over from a 1970s antenna install, or made from old extension cords, don't us it unless you want to make return visits.

One thing we are hearing about more and more is cca showing up in offshore cat5/6. This stuff not only is not all copper they are lableing it as UL approved when it is not. Consider the implications of not using UL approved products for resale.