Specifying a UPS

I am not sure if there is some conventional wisdom in specifying an Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS)? It is for my company's CCTV systems which has about 33 DVRs. I am not sure if I should have a large single one to protect all 33 or perhaps break it up to, say, 5 DVRs per UPS or something like that?

Anyone with great experience to advise me?

Hi

You may want to post this in the Computer section also, may get a quicker answer. Id think it has to do with the size of the UPS's, for watts etc, and current draws per PC. 33 Dvrs. thats alot! Maybe just get a generator (or Solar Panels) and a large scale Main Voltage Regulator

Yeah, I am responsible for close to 500 cameras in my company. Actually, I currently have only 9 DVRs. The rest are still on Mux-VCR setup but I am planning to convert to digital recording and preparing the technical specs for tender. And I am kinda stuck with the UPS part.

You need to find how much wattage it is going to be pulling. If I was you have a Large UPS and a generator. But most important you need to find out how much wattage total you are using. Volts X Current = Watts

Yes, I know how to size up the UP. My question is should I group all the DVRs together and have only 1 single large UPS, or subgroup the DVRs and have a few medium sized UPSs?

Why would I need a generator? To keep the DVRs running and recording?

I will suggest to sub-group your DVRs with no more than 2 per single UPS. Also make sure that the VA rating is at least 500VA or higher... Normally we will use 1,000VA UPS to power up and maintain no more than 2 DVRs at a time...

Levon

Hello, hello. It's me- The Guest. I changed my username. So, my details of my earlier posting has been deleted by the administrator. I had inadvertently put in my fullname as my username. I wasn' t too comfortable with that.

Anyway, I am back.

Okay, METZ recommends 2 DVRs per UPS. I just came off the phone with a colleague from my IT Services Dept who said that since all my DVRs are in one room, it is okay to have a single UPS to protect all. So, I am still a little unsure. More inputs from any of you with UPS experiences ?

Also, I understand there is this feature where upon the blackout, the UPS would send a signal to the DVR for it to do an auto log out to prevent HDD crash. What is this feature known as? Do I spec it in the UPS or in the DVR?

Edited by Guest

What is your main goal for these UPS units? Is it to filter brown outs, power surges or to keep the DVR working with there is a power outage for some 15 minutes or an hour??

Levon

It's mainly to prevent the DVR from crashing. No point having it working during blackout as the cameras would be out anyway! What would it be recording?! : D

Yes, of course there is a possibility that there is only a blackout at the CCTV room only but there is still power to the cameras. Well, I might want to consider keeping the DVRs working for a while until the power resumes. But it would depend on the available budget!

Yup. Me asking them to provide window-based DVRs, not the imbedded ones. Easier to maintain with ample spare parts locally.

So, what do I do now??

My suggestion is to use (2) DVRs with single UPS rated no less than 500VA. We have been using this simple formula for UPS units in many sites with multiple DVRs, video control switches, etc... It is cost effective and yet, delivers the goods...

Good luck!

Levon

why not put the cameras on a UPS also ...?? Down here, you need a Voltage Regulator also or a UPS with built in Voltage Regulator ... ive seen UPS's either fried from brownouts, or where the spikes went through the UPS and still fried the product, without even damaging the UPS, and see it fry the UPS also ... Plus whenever there are storms we have to unplug our cable connection to the Cable modem or it too stands a high chance of getting fried.

Then again we have brown outs several times a day, this weekend power was off 10 times at least ... been off every day past week or so ... Saturday night i was watching as I had a slight glow still in my light bulbs .. was like WHAT!! Heard them sizzling ... thankfully my PCs etc are on a voltage regulator, which turned it off straight away ... otherwise i may not be writing this now ... Yeah our government bought some second hand generators a few years back and every summer the power goes on and off and brownouts and spikes every darn day!!

Yup. Me asking them to provide window-based DVRs, not the imbedded ones. Easier to maintain with ample spare parts locally.

So, what do I do now??

33 PCs ... i feel the headache coming on now ... if you have the spare parts though that certainly helps considerably .. and makes more sense ..

Our blackouts or brownouts are not very regular here. At most once in every 3 or 4 months. But we do have occasional LT/HT servicing which would require a shutdown of about 1 minute each time.

What, you mean a UPS is no guaranteed protection? Even with the Double Conversion Online Sinewave type of protection?? (heh, got this info from http://www.sinetech.co.za/upsselect.htm)

What's this voltage regulator?

Voltage Regulator - Is also known as Line Conditioner or Line stabilizer, or Voltage Stabilizer ..

If you pay enough you can noadays find a UPS with a Built in Voltage Regulator. Dont mistake a Surge Protector for a Voltage Regulator, as they are different, the surge protector is almost useless, and will fry quick, ive seen them burned soo many times.

Basically, it doesnt let your voltage go over a certain voltage, and when it goes under a certain voltage, it disconnects the power - this is what it did Saturday Night/Sunday AM when we had a major brownout ..

Ive had the same one from 1996 and it has survived all the hurricanes, tropical storms, regular brown outs, daily low voltage, and daily spikes/dips in power. The only times I have lost a hard Drive (2 total since 1996), CD Drive, and even just a Cable to a Zip Drive, was when I took my PC off my voltage regulator and at those particular times i was unlucky enough to have a dip in power ... they all died (and the cable no longer worked). But like i said, we have abnormal power problems here ... sometimes my Voltage Regulator will click all night long and sometimes for weeks on end ... dips galore ..

Edited by Guest

No. a UPS is an Uninterupted Power Supply, basically a back up battery, it does nothing for dips or spikes in power voltage. It can still stay powered on with even only a little bit of voltage, when the spike comes through it cant stop it, and bang goes your equipment. Thats what a voltage regulator is for.

you can buy the UPS with a Line Conditioner (Voltage Regulator) built in. It just costs more.

just so yah know. I have a 500 watt LineConditioner powering 2 DVR Pcs, 2 TVs, 4 cameras, a router, a cable modem, and 2 PC Monitors .... ))

Just calculate your voltage with that you are using and you will be okay.

Rory