John_lin78

What's your ideal 16ch MPEG-4 DVR looks like?

as title, I would like to know everybody's dream 16ch MPEG-4 DVR and what kind of features it should have?

brand and price are not taking into consideration, just the product and features and specs.

should be a fun thread to see.

My would be

- real time (480fps ntsc / 400fps pal)

- big storage (expandable preferrable)

- dvd r/w for easy file back

- network functions

- remote control

- motion detection

- fashionable look (is it really that important?)

- something else I can't think of right now :P

what's yours looks like?

Hmmm, since we are in the stand alone section, just the GE DVMRe-CT with Mpeg4 and faster speed ... its right around the corner ..

do i detect a manufacturer in here ..?

I'd like to see a feature that looks at the overall image from a camera and compares it to a "control" image and determines if the camera has been blocked or moved, it should be possible to specify an area of the image that doesn't change unless blocked or moved and have the machine check at regular intervals and also require a set number of checks before reporting a change to prevent temporary blockages triggering an alert.

I have had several instances where a camera has been moved and due to the motion mask setup it either no longer records or records continously.

Doug

Geo has missing object, similar to what you are looking at .. have you tried that ? Dont know if will check in ..but it can send alerts if an object is moved ...?

Ill test it out on this New DVR i have until monday .. (thanks Scott )

Rory

Geo aren't on my most favoured equipment list at the moment

Doug

Geo has missing object, similar to what you are looking at .. have you tried that ? Dont know if will check in ..but it can send alerts if an object is moved ...?

Rory

why

I never used it until they got rid of the dongle, these cards I have dont need them . whats up .. Ive only used it for a week now so let us know ... thanks

Rory

Rory

would this be something similar to "motion detection"?

Rory

would this be something similar to "motion detection"?

Not quite, well it is, but it is more advanced, or a variation of.

You can set up a section of a locked image, say you pick the car park, you set the image and lock it on a car so thats the normal image, then you select an area, the car (an object), and set it up so that it is listed as a missing object incase it is moved from the video image. You can then send alerts on missing object.

Motion detection would be if there is movement in the area of the car, but missing object is if that car moves totally from the original fixed image.

Rory

The GUI must support simultaneous playback of multiple AND arbitrarily selected cameras (say, cam 4, 5, 11 & 15 as a quad layout), AND also in a time-synchronized fashion too, i.e. when a bad guy disappearing in one cam should show up in another AT THE CORRECT MOMENT (accurate to the 1/10th sec

The only DVR I've seen with the last feature (sync'ed playback) is Capture / Hitron embedded. I-View (my other favorite) supports multiple camera playback too, but unfortunately I can't get different cams to sync up (drive me mad).

BTW, the above features are not specific to 16-ch, but it's just that for 16 channels, there is a higher chance multiple cameras would cover the same vicinity, and hence the sync'ed playback feature is more useful.

yeah the GE DVRs do that well ... the camera to camera feature ... also GEO seems to do it pretty well. Iview, havent had the chance to really test that feature, but i love Iviews Remote Video, da bestest, especially for multiple DVRs and 30 cameras.

Thanks Rory. Obviously there're many DVRs out there which I know little or nothing about. So this feature is pretty standard on the GEs...

Yes, I agree I-View handles multi-site very well, and I like the way how the IE and FreeView remote viewers behave consistently.