destro_23

IP megapix solution for Bar/restaurant low light?

Hey guys my friend saw my IP cameras that i had up and was amazed at the quality they are used in good lighting conditions and just some Acti Cubes... He now wants to start switching out his cheap domes one by one to megapix, He has a divis dvr card in there and they say they support megapix cameras but haven't tried yet.

Sp question of the day is... whats a good megapix cam for bar? the place is like a Fridays/Applebees/longhorn and low light around bar.

Any ideas/field samples?

We've used (progressively) IQEye, Arecont, and now 3xLogic Visix (rebranded HIKvision) cameras in a low-light restaurant environment (arguably darker in most cases than Fridays/Applebees), and been pretty happy with the results. The day/night Areconts don't switch out of B&W in most cases, while the Visix cameras look just as good in color, with less motion blur for a given lighting level. And they're about 50% cheaper.

The day/night Areconts don't switch out of B&W in most cases,

Really? Is this true of the 10Mp D/N?

I'm finding the HIK 5Mp about the same price as the Arecont 10Mp.

We've only used the AV3155DN models (3MP) for these particular installs, and in most cases in these restaurants and lounges we've put them in, they won't switch to color in the day unless I lower the threshold to almost nothing. The Visix/HIK models we're using are only 2MP.

Has anyone tried the Arecont 10Mp for switch between night /day?

I'd hate to go down another blind alley like the Mobotix M12. Very disappointed in them. That disaster cost me several hundred dollars by the time I sold the camera, despite the extensive research I'd done.

Though they may be expensive, I have installed the Mobotix Q24 Night model in a night club environment and had some good results. We used 4 Q24's for general coverage in the 2 dance floors and bar areas, and used a D12 with 2 night sensors for the doorway. One sensor was wide angle for overview, and the second was telephoto that was trained directly to the Bouncer station to record licenses of guests that came in.

Iflighting is an issue, just add some IR lighting which will make even the darkest bar/ restaurant bright as day to an IR camera.

looks like i'm limited to Axis, Acti, Arecont, HUNT, Cellinx, Truen, Pixord, Cynix at least thats what the divis dvr card plugin says.

I'm also limited to DWG and Northern Video as those are where i have made business accounts with. Anyone else i should use? $1000 per camera is to much anything in the $500 or under? with the brands mentioned above?

looks like i'm limited to Axis, Acti, Arecont, HUNT, Cellinx, Truen, Pixord, Cynix at least thats what the divis dvr card plugin says.

I'm also limited to DWG and Northern Video as those are where i have made business accounts with. Anyone else i should use? $1000 per camera is to much anything in the $500 or under? with the brands mentioned above?

Axis, Acti, Arecont, HUNT, Cellinx, Truen, Pixord, Cynix

Hi destro. apart from make of camera you will also need to find what models are supported. axis do some good 1.3 and 3mp lowlight cameras.

I cant speak for restaurants but bars and clubs in most areas BW is all you ever need (always dark), color on the entrance and main car park, IR in areas too dark for BW.

You buy

You play

You learn

You post

and we read

... and I lose another couple hundred dollars if it doesn't do what the specs say. (as was the case with Mobotix)

Looks like no one knows about the night/day switch with the Arecont 10.

Hi destro. apart from make of camera you will also need to find what models are supported. axis do some good 1.3 and 3mp lowlight cameras.

what axis ones do you recommend? because the installer says axis, axis mega. I've put in an email to their support on what exactly is supported.

Edited by Guest

You buy

You play

You learn

You post

and we read

... and I lose another couple hundred dollars if it doesn't do what the specs say. (as was the case with Mobotix)

Looks like no one knows about the night/day switch with the Arecont 10.

What do you want to know? It's a good camera when used in the right situation. I think you where the one trying to get Mobotix to work on Linux. I am a little hesitant to recommend something because of your previous posts in another thread. Arecont like Mobotix is not a plug in and go camera. They need to be setup properly to get the best image out of them. The first thing you need to do is decide on VMS because the 10MP has limited VMS support. What are you trying to do with the camera?

Edited by Guest

Take it easy...

I am asking one simple question. You don't have to answer it if you don't want to or if you don't know.

Take it easy...

I am asking one simple question. You don't have to answer it if you don't want to or if you don't know.

I think you need to be more specific. Yes I have installed 10MP Day/Night Arecont camera. Yes you can adjust the switch from day/night. But you need to use this camera in the correct situation to get good results. Without knowing what you what to use the camera for I can't recommend it or any camera at this point.

OK how about a recommendation that is limited to what brands i can use... i have dealer accounts with dwg and northernvideo and the Areconts are a little to high in price start almost at $700.

So any Acti cameras you can reccomend? or Axis?

I give up. Apparently wireguys has forgotten what is in the first page of this thread.

The OP is asking about MP cameras for Bars.

Soundy said "The day/night Areconts don't switch out of B&W in most cases"

You said "Really? Is this true of the 10Mp D/N? I'm finding the HIK 5Mp about the same price as the Arecont 10Mp."

You said " Has anyone tried the Arecont 10Mp for switch between night /day? I'd hate to go down another blind alley like the Mobotix M12. Very disappointed in them. That disaster cost me several hundred dollars by the time I sold the camera, despite the extensive research I'd done."

I answered "What do you want to know? It's a good camera when used in the right situation. I think you where the one trying to get Mobotix to work on Linux. I am a little hesitant to recommend something because of your previous posts in another thread. Arecont like Mobotix is not a plug in and go camera. They need to be setup properly to get the best image out of them. The first thing you need to do is decide on VMS because the 10MP has limited VMS support. What are you trying to do with the camera?"

You said "Has anyone tried the Arecont 10Mp for switch between night /day?"

Again I said " I think you need to be more specific. Yes I have installed 10MP Day/Night Arecont camera. Yes you can adjust the switch from day/night. But you need to use this camera in the correct situation to get good results. Without knowing what you what to use the camera for I can't recommend it or any camera at this point."

You say "I give up. Apparently wireguys has forgotten what is in the first page of this thread."

Well I am lost. I tried to help but you don't answer my questions. Last time I am gonna try and help you. Are you trying to use this in a bar? If the answer is yes then I would NOT recommend the 10MP.

Absolutely no reviews out there. Any input?

Find a distributor or online retailer with a reasonable restock fee, buy the cams you want to test, return the ones that don't meet your requirements and pay the restock.

You buy

You play

You learn

You post

and we read

+1.

Absolutely no reviews out there. Any input?

Find a distributor or online retailer with a reasonable restock fee, buy the cams you want to test, return the ones that don't meet your requirements and pay the restock.

You buy

You play

You learn

You post

and we read

+1.

+1000

OK how about a recommendation that is limited to what brands i can use... i have dealer accounts with dwg and northernvideo and the Areconts are a little to high in price start almost at $700.

So any Acti cameras you can reccomend? or Axis?

Any ideas on my limited set of brands? and around/under 500 each?