Peter_

Suggestions for small home system - ~4 megapixel cameras

Hey everyone, first off the info here has been extremely helpful. Have read posts here for ~ the last month.

So here's what I would like help with. Currently I have 2 foscam bullet cameras (FI8904W) that I know have a limited life. I am recording the videostreams to a Synology NAS running Surveillance Station 5, which so far has worked out very well. BTW, this setup is for a home with pretty decent nighttime lighting (streetlights, under the eve lighting, flood lights that illuminate trees, etc).

What I am looking for is a reasonably priced PoE megapixel camera (dome or bullet) that I could use in addition or as a replacement for my system. I plan to stream video using a picostation HP (wireless N). Here's what I'd ideally like to find in a camera:

-PoE

-1+ megapixel resolution

-Outdoor (must be weatherproof - but I live in Arizona so snow/rain not an issue; i.e. no heater)

-Good night vision (~ 40 feet at night - see video above)

-Motion detection

-On board storage

-Price range ~500 each (plus or minus ~200) [i'd like to buy several]

Here's what the yard illumination looks like at night (

)

and during the day (

)

I'm a student so price is a challenge, I'd love to grab a couple Mobotix but obviously that's not going to happen. I'm setting this system up for my parents, and as a fun project. I know some professionals don't like to share their knowledge, but I'm trying to use this as a learning experience too, so any help is appreciated.

In my persistent googling I've written down these choices:

-Toshiba IKWR12A

-Vivotek FD8361

-Sanyo HD3300/3500

-Sony SNCDH210TB

-ACti KCM-7211

-ACti TCM-7811 (looks like great night vision)

-ACti KCM-7111

-Vivotek FE8171V (new fisheye - good way to use less numbers of cameras)

Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone, first off the info here has been extremely helpful. Have read posts here for ~ the last month.

So here's what I would like help with. Currently I have 2 foscam bullet cameras (FI8904W) that I know have a limited life. I am recording the videostreams to a Synology NAS running Surveillance Station 5, which so far has worked out very well. BTW, this setup is for a home with pretty decent nighttime lighting (streetlights, under the eve lighting, flood lights that illuminate trees, etc).

What I am looking for is a reasonably priced PoE megapixel camera (dome or bullet) that I could use in addition or as a replacement for my system. I plan to stream video using a picostation HP (wireless N). Here's what I'd ideally like to find in a camera:

-PoE

-1+ megapixel resolution

-Outdoor (must be weatherproof - but I live in Arizona so snow/rain not an issue; i.e. no heater)

-Good night vision (~ 40 feet at night - see video above)

-Motion detection

-On board storage

-Price range ~500 each (plus or minus ~200) [i'd like to buy several]

Here's what the yard illumination looks like at night (

)

and during the day (

)

I'm a student so price is a challenge, I'd love to grab a couple Mobotix but obviously that's not going to happen. I'm setting this system up for my parents, and as a fun project. I know some professionals don't like to share their knowledge, but I'm trying to use this as a learning experience too, so any help is appreciated.

In my persistent googling I've written down these choices:

-Toshiba IKWR12A

-Vivotek FD8361

-Sanyo HD3300/3500

-Sony SNCDH210TB

-ACti KCM-7211

-ACti TCM-7811 (looks like great night vision)

-ACti KCM-7111

-Vivotek FE8171V (new fisheye - good way to use less numbers of cameras)

Thanks in advance!

From your list !

Sanyo + comp based NVR or

Sanyo + Standalone NVR

I would never compare Sanyo to ACTI or Vivotek.

if u can afforded

FWIW

Was not impressed with the quality of the Acti, cheap though...

Vivotek I've yet to see a great night pic at a decent shutter speed...

No experience with the others

I'm playing with an Arecont 3135 which is not bad although quirky, a little better night performance than my Axis P3344. With minor lighting pole light with 3 small bulbs I can get usable pics around 1/20s. You are obviously at a slow shutter speed as there is a bit of blur.

Axis has great firmware, support and is a quality product. If you shop around you sometimes can pick them up on ebay around 4-500. Plus they do audio.

So I'm hearing Sanyo and Axis? Without IR leds will I be able to get a decent shutter speed at night? The axis cameras are very nice, but only a few are outdoor rated out of the box. The axis 212 says it only works up to 104 deg F. In AZ a hot day can get up to 110 deg F+.

So I'm hearing Sanyo and Axis? Without IR leds will I be able to get a decent shutter speed at night? The axis cameras are very nice, but only a few are outdoor rated out of the box. The axis 212 says it only works up to 104 deg F. In AZ a hot day can get up to 110 deg F+.

You'll need ICR to do IR. The 212 is not a day night camera and has a poor lux rating. FYI Axis specs their cameras at 1/6s I think. You can see some examples of the P1344 at

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=25728

I have no experience with Sanyo.

I have dealt with all of the above cameras over the years both Sanyo and Sony are very good..

I am the Australian Distributor of SONY cameras and the Exmor Chipset is awesome in low light but no for every budget..

I was a ACTi dealer but with a 20% failure rate I would not touch them with a 10 foot pole. Needless to say I ght compared to SONYdropped them quickly.

Also if you want a decent low cost camera then Messoa is a fair camera and nice clean images but average at low light.

Also for a NVR then use Excaq or QNAP, I am dealers for both and have great success with them both

I would have to agree with the aussie, Messoa is a good camera but leaves allot tobe desired at night and the SONY cameras well I agree you want good quality then you have to pay for it..

The Exmor CMOS is as good as any CCD camera I have seen in Low Light...

Exacq and QNAP are good but Exacq is the pick for me...