Sign in to follow this  
oppositeofh20

Need help on a big project!

CCTV doesnt replace a burglar alarm, plus beams are not expensive, alarm systems are peanuts compared to CCTV.

In the typical outdoor scenario our camera DOES replace a burglar alarm. That's how it works, we've got a slew of video central station partners building profitable businesses around getting valid events, and screening out all the nuisance alarms and garbage you get from outdoor beams and motions that make it impossible for those technologies to be a reliable replacement.

CCTV doesnt replace a burglar alarm, plus beams are not expensive, alarm systems are peanuts compared to CCTV.

In the typical outdoor scenario our camera DOES replace a burglar alarm. That's how it works, we've got a slew of video central station partners building profitable businesses around getting valid events, and screening out all the nuisance alarms and garbage you get from outdoor beams and motions that make it impossible for those technologies to be a reliable replacement.

I dont agree.

I agree it has a place, but its not a replacement - BTW there is more to an alarm than just Beams and Motions.

Not even the camera/system manufacturer would be so bold to say it replaces a good burglar alarm system.

Its similar to saying a door contact replaces a lock.

But who IS a manufacturer these days? Vitek? Nope. Speco? Nope. Pelco? Hardly. Honeywell? Barely.

your right but its not hard to find the true maker speco and jet is Huviron Honeywell uk is CNB they have taken alot of cameras out of there range

am lucky in that i can buy direct from both huviron and CNB. and both will remove any sales from uk on ebay. so no price war. we do get the odd company from usa but selling NTSC in a pal location makes no sence

but warrant is good 3 years on 1 5 on the other. i would not like to be spending my profits on a camera that has only just gone out or warranty and fail after 13 months

Another plus to a branded product is we know which one to stay clear of

I dont agree.

I agree it has a place, but its not a replacement - BTW there is more to an alarm than just Beams and Motions.

Not even the camera/system manufacturer would be so bold to say it replaces a good burglar alarm system.

Its similar to saying a door contact replaces a lock.

VideoIQ is not your normal camera solution. It is a alarm system and a camera system all in one package.

Hey all, sorry for not replying. You guys had me laughing with all the arguing but thanks for all the posts.

Still not sure what I'm gonna do, been really busy with work this week. But I'm gonna look into VideoIQ more, it seems like a good idea.

Edit: Any idea on how much the VideoIQ dome camera (HD and non-HD) go for price wise?

And where the heck do I buy these things? Is there a store near Montreal that would have them in stock?

And where the heck do I buy these things? Is there a store near Montreal that would have them in stock?

Any 7 eleven should carry them ...

By the time you buy the beams and run all the cables for control and power and get them installed VideoIQ will be cheaper and a better solution.

Funny, but I had a meeting just yesterday with a rather large US bank, and they disagree with you.

Burglar alarms don't offer actionable signals anymore in the US. First question from the police on any alarm (even from a bank) is "is it verified", meaning "do you have video".

We are replacing burglar alarms with cameras. Every single day at this point.

What's a 7 eleven?

Funny, but I had a meeting just yesterday with a rather large US bank, and they disagree with you.

Good for them, I dont agree with Banks either.

First question from the police on any alarm (even from a bank) is "is it verified", meaning "do you have video".

Good luck to them

Good for you, glad you have some work, only 2 billion more alarms to replace.

What's a 7 eleven?

Ive seen them on american TV so .. whatever they are they must exist

By the time you buy the beams and run all the cables for control and power and get them installed VideoIQ will be cheaper and a better solution.

Burglar alarms don't offer actionable signals anymore in the US. First question from the police on any alarm (even from a bank) is "is it verified", meaning "do you have video".

Lets see .. video (only) on the outside of my front door ranging in the $800 camera (TDN IP) and $800 (NVR, License, Switch) system price monitored by internet @ $50 ISP charge a month + the cost of the Video Monitoring, and sending alarm events to email .. and IT service charges running in the $150 per hour range ....

or a contact on my front door tied to 3x 30 watt sirens and strobe lights ranging in the $200 price and monitored by radio @ $30 a month sending alarm events to cell or any other phone .. and Alarm service charges running in the $50 per hour range .... hmmmm .. easy choice.

I guess thats why alarm companies are installing several dozen alarm systems every day including weekends.

Gee I gotta get back into alarms

“What's a 7 eleven?”

Rory was joking, a 7 eleven is a small convenience store about the size of a large gas station, they sell milk, bread, beer, batteries, etc. Open 24 hours a day and robbed about 2 times a week.

“What's a 7 eleven?â€

Rory was joking, a 7 eleven is a small convenience store about the size of a large gas station, they sell milk, bread, beer, batteries, etc. Open 24 hours a day and robbed about 2 times a week.

We need some of them here .. least for the beer part ..

Lets see .. video (only) on the outside of my front door ranging in the $800 camera (TDN IP) and $800 (NVR, License, Switch) system price monitored by internet @ $50 ISP charge a month + the cost of the Video Monitoring, and sending alarm events to email .. and IT service charges running in the $150 per hour range ....

or a contact on my front door tied to 3x 30 watt sirens and strobe lights ranging in the $200 price and monitored by radio @ $30 a month sending alarm events to cell or any other phone .. and Alarm service charges running in the $50 per hour range .... hmmmm .. easy choice.

I guess thats why alarm companies are installing several dozen alarm systems every day including weekends.

VideoIQ does both with 2-way audio if you want. Police are giving priority to video verified alarms around here. Also with you door contact you are ONLY getting an alarm IF someone opens the door. With VideoIQ you will get a alarm well before they get near your front door.

VideoIQ does both with 2-way audio if you want. Police are giving priority to video verified alarms around here. Also with you door contact you are ONLY getting an alarm IF someone opens the door. With VideoIQ you will get a alarm well before they get near your front door.

2 way audio in the alarm industry has been there for years, but the door contact is just an example, I use it and millions others do also, its stopped burglars in their tracts here even at my own place (though more try to get through the windows), but ofcourse there are beams for the yard or even other more elaborate devices, and again beams only run around $100 for a pair and you can series 2 of them so an upper and lower beam have to be crossed, to help prevent false alarms, or what Ive done with a ton of installs before was to mount a beam directly on the wall covering the doors and windows, so for example 1 pair of beams could cover a whole front row of windows or doors, getting them before they open the door or get in through the window. Then again I dont want an alarm around the yard personally I just want to get them if they try to break in, we have too many workers stopping by unannounced, and facial recognition wont help as its never the same people and Im rarely informed.

Look I never said something like VideoIQ doesnt have its place, but its still not a replacement for a Burglar Alarm System, and definitely not for the typical application. Its like saying my door contact is a replacement for the lock (shhh dont tell anyone I never got the lock fixed!). Everything has its place and these devices all go hand in hand to compliment each other, there is no one and only solution when it comes to security. Eg. I use my cameras when Im home, but I wont leave home without the alarm on even if the cameras are recording local or offsite, I got 30 watt sirens and if someone comes to my door they best know that siren is going off and waking the whole neighborhood up .. I dont take visitors by the way. If I could find something that legally shot of bullets at them too I would jump at it Yes sirens DO work, Ive watched the criminals on camera as the sirens gone off and they go running like scared little rats. You know what happens when I see a burglar on camera and Im home, i set the sirens off thats just another small reason for an alarm system ... without them my car windows would have been broken many times. Oh yeah then I grab the weapons and go confront them until the cops come if they ever do!! But you know whats more valuable than catching them and putting them in jail just to live off tax payers money, making sure they and their ilk never come back.

when we can tie in wireless 2 way keyfobs for arm/disarm and wireless panic buttons, wired alarm devices like panic buttons (banks, stores etc), keypads, etc and hook up loud sirens to them as well if we dont want it silent (most cases) even sirens with sound drivers ...then maybe we could look at a camera system replacing even the most basic alarm system ...

VideoIQ can do all of that too. The camera has trigger i/o to turn on sirens, LED lights, strobes, smoke whatever you want. Plus VideoIQ can tell you the difference between a person and car trigger different events. Think of them as super motion detectors.

VideoIQ can do all of that too. The camera has trigger i/o to turn on sirens, LED lights, strobes, smoke whatever you want. Plus VideoIQ can tell you the difference between a person and car trigger different events. Think of them as super motion detectors.

Well I will check them out .. but still cant sell 10 of those type of systems a day.. .. alarms still nothing we in CCTV can ever compete with until least the prices drop considerably.

But what about the wireless keyfobs for panics etc?

What bout hard wired panics?

What about a keypad on the wall to arm/disarm the system?

2 way wireless button to arm/disarm it and tell you when it is armed or disarmed?

And I really mean keyfobs that can fit on a keychain .. not a iPhone ..

Also people want to be able to set the siren/silent panic off manually, nothing to do with the camera.

What about the video monitoring by radio and not less stable and less secure Internet?

Do any of you guys have an alarm system, so I know we are on the same page?

Well I will check them out .. but still cant sell 10 of those type of systems a day.. .. alarms still nothing we in CCTV can ever compete with until least the prices drop considerably.

But what about the wireless keyfobs for panics etc?

What bout hard wired panics?

What about a keypad on the wall to arm/disarm the system?

2 way wireless button to arm/disarm it and tell you when it is armed or disarmed?

And I really mean keyfobs that can fit on a keychain .. not a iPhone ..

Also people want to be able to set the siren/silent panic off manually, nothing to do with the camera.

What about the video monitoring by radio and not less stable and less secure Internet?

Do any of you guys have an alarm system, so I know we are on the same page?

There are numerous alarm/CCTV integrated systems coming out these days. iR's Concept series is one of the more well known ones that can.

Regarding basic motion detection record Video from DVRs ..

I just played back Motion Events from a DVR at a large house from Friday from 8am-4.30pm, the time the staff are there from and until. This is from one camera out of 23.

I got 133 total motion events.

I got a total of 10 false alarms out of that 133 events, which is not bad.

All but the following single motion events were People or Cars

rain drops

power surge

Sun comes out

Bird

Bird

Bird

Unknown

Shade & Wind

Bird

Bird

BTW there is alot of bush around the camera, and the pole the camera is mounted to is covered in bird crap, yes the bird love this pole

There are numerous alarm/CCTV integrated systems coming out these days. iR's Concept series is one of the more well known ones that can.

Yes I know they can be integrated together, GE (Kalatel) had that feature several years ago

Eg check out GE Paragon Software (then Kalatel Paragon Software or GE Interlogix before it became GE Security and now UTC)

2008 version

http://www-fo.gesecurity.com/portal/site/GESecurity/menuitem.11620ebca5cc0a06574efe10140041ca/?vgnextoid=1a654ef6640c9110VgnVCM100000592d7003RCRD

Hard to find the original now but here are some news articles

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/5898.wss (Facility Commander)

From 2004:

Paragon is an innovative graphical interface that provides conplete control of your Digiplex system. Paragon's logical, easy-to-use format provides a clear visual representation of your entire security system, and it's fully networkable - so you can control your system from one workstation or a network of stations. Its Windows-based mouse control interacts with icons that represent cameras, doors, alarm sites and other system elements - making Paragon easy to learn and eliminating the need to memorize camera numbers and alarm locations. And Paragon can be upgraded as your needs change.

Features and Benefits

Three-button MouseTrak

Address 512 separate camera sites

Control pan, tilt and zoom

Control video switching to up to 64 monitors

Forum Post that shows my age:

https://www.cctvforum.com/about134-0-asc-15.html

In general, video verified alarms receive a faster response from police by far ------ if a police response is required to the event being monitored that is ----- assuming that video is purely a security device, which it isn't.

It's likely that the requirement in the original posters call for help would involve notifying and call out a police response - but untill he says so, we are making assumptions to fit the solution to his scenario - and if he has a facility security force that would respond to the alert rather than call out the police -- all those wonderful benefits of a system that get's a faster police response would fall on deaf ears.

The ability to verify an alarm via video is a valuable feature - if and when that contributes to the operational requirements of a client.

I still fail to appreciate how anybody who hasn't visited this guys site, hasn't established proper Operational Requirements, etc is able to suggest any solution or product.

The second portion of our design models - the first of which deals with problem definition, is operational response.

At this point we are not yet even talking technical or hardware specifications , and there are still another 3 design considerations after these two.

We are often told by people who want to invest money in a cctv system that the process is unnecessary, because they just want to put a camera here and there.

My company specifically avoids working with these people - the same people who commission 6 month studies when they want to make an investment of any other sort.

Specifically, a poorly designed system will not have any ROI, that is measurable, and will never get down to addressing the real problems - which created a perception in the business owners mind - with limited point of reference - that a camera might solve the problem.

These people are the first to be blaming your company and your equipment for wasted expenditure.

Sure --- approaching installs without a defined process is great for DIY and mom and pop stores ---- but then we view that as making up less than 20% of the surveillance market and less than 15% of the security market.

In general, video verified alarms receive a faster response from police by far ------ if a police response is required to the event being monitored that is ----- assuming that video is purely a security device, which it isn't.

It's likely that the requirement in the original posters call for help would involve notifying and call out a police response - but untill he says so, we are making assumptions to fit the solution to his scenario - and if he has a facility security force that would respond to the alert rather than call out the police -- all those wonderful benefits of a system that get's a faster police response would fall on deaf ears.

The ability to verify an alarm via video is a valuable feature - if and when that contributes to the operational requirements of a client.

I still fail to appreciate how anybody who hasn't visited this guys site, hasn't established proper Operational Requirements, etc is able to suggest any solution or product.

The second portion of our design models - the first of which deals with problem definition, is operational response.

At this point we are not yet even talking technical or hardware specifications , and there are still another 3 design considerations after these two.

We are often told by people who want to invest money in a cctv system that the process is unnecessary, because they just want to put a camera here and there.

My company specifically avoids working with these people - the same people who commission 6 month studies when they want to make an investment of any other sort.

Specifically, a poorly designed system will not have any ROI, that is measurable, and will never get down to addressing the real problems - which created a perception in the business owners mind - with limited point of reference - that a camera might solve the problem.

These people are the first to be blaming your company and your equipment for wasted expenditure.

Sure --- approaching installs without a defined process is great for DIY and mom and pop stores ---- but then we view that as making up less than 20% of the surveillance market and less than 15% of the security market.

Im assuming me and you are the few on this forum that actually operate in crime infested areas.

i think to ops first post tols us what he wanted. bringing alarms into it never came from the op.

8 camera system he asked advice on.

alarm systems do have there place but 90% of them are just alert only at the end of the day they only confirm what you already know when you walk back into your burgled place.

CCTV with an alarm system gives 100% at least you now have footage with something the police can work with.

Rory, I recognize there are unique factors to business in the Bahamas. I'll admit, I'm not seeing the same trends emerging as quickly with my dealers in the Caribbean, but this is becoming predominant in the US and EMEA markets.

Rory, I recognize there are unique factors to business in the Bahamas. I'll admit, I'm not seeing the same trends emerging as quickly with my dealers in the Caribbean, but this is becoming predominant in the US and EMEA markets.

Thing is we are actually ahead of you guys in some areas, we monitor by radio PRIMARY, while in the US radio is secondary. Additionally we are monitoring alarm systems from Canada over the Internet. But its okay, as we are not in the Caribbean.