Robert Oaks

GEO 600 dongles

In the past month, I have had three (3) seperate occasions where a system gave problems. On these 3 systems, at least one camera stopped recording, and sometimes more than one camera. The problem in all 3 systems was the dongle. Today, as I finished an installation (10 cameras), only cameras 9 & 10 would work. Cameras 1 through 8 were "dead" until the dongle was replaced. The 3 occasions mentioned above cost me about $800.00 in time and travel (average of 200 miles round-trip). Are others having this type of problem, or have you found a way to prevent same. Any help will be most appreciated. Thank you. Robert

Only problem I had why it wasnt recording some cameras, when i first used it, was because i was use to manually selecting the motion detection area, from using other DVRs, but with Geo that mask disables recording in the area you select! :-0

Anyway, the new cards I have been buying, dont use dongles, and I have not had any problems up to now.

Honestly, if I had to travel 100 miles to maintain a system, i would use a stand alone like the GE DVR.

Rory

I won't be able to sleep properly for a while with this horror story. Since I already had a dream bout Rory, this will surely give me nightmares, being chased by crazy dongles n such

I have considered using stand-along units, but customer requires a minimum of 6 months storage. I have not found a stand-alone that will give me this amount of storage, in a price range that I can afford. Rory, can one order the BNC version rather thank dongles? I must have been given bad information, since I was told that it was dongle or nothing. Many thanks. Robert

GE can do 6 months recording easy. But yes it is not a cheap DVR. I have a 640GB GE DVR with always record at 5pps, 10 cameras, High Res, doing 6 months. I was looking at a GE 80GB last night, its recording from June 22nd to now (20 days), with 15 cameras, high res, motion only, 8am-8pm among 3 stores, high res high quality cameras though ......

As for GeoVision, check with Scott on this forum (VueStar). All new cards I am getting have the Piggy back, but there is no dongle required.

Rory

Edited by Guest

In the past month, I have had three (3) seperate occasions where a system gave problems. On these 3 systems, at least one camera stopped recording, and sometimes more than one camera. The problem in all 3 systems was the dongle. Today, as I finished an installation (10 cameras), only cameras 9 & 10 would work. Cameras 1 through 8 were "dead" until the dongle was replaced. The 3 occasions mentioned above cost me about $800.00 in time and travel (average of 200 miles round-trip). Are others having this type of problem, or have you found a way to prevent same. Any help will be most appreciated. Thank you. Robert

Robert,

If only certain cameras were working as you mentioned before with camera 9 and 10, it sounds as if you used the incorrect replacement pigtail. Depending on the model board you have the pigtail can be pinned out differently, thus resulting in video loss etc. This is because for example the GV-1000 does not have audio (no audio on the pigtail), the GV-800 has 4 channels of audio. They are pinned completely different, so if you replace a "bad" pigtail with the wrong type, you will only get video on certain cameras, etc. The dongle term I believe you are speaking of is actually the pigtail, not the USB Driver Dongle that was used temporarily for upgrade to Version 7.0 software. If you have upgraded and your board was a V2 board, you will have problems and the Version 7.0 software will not work without locking up, even with the S1 chip replacement.

scottj

Hi Scott: I guess that I did not use proper terms as to the "dongle". I see now that I should have said "D-type video extension cable, where cameras 1-8 are on the Black, and cameras 9-116 are blue. In the 10 camera setup that I installed yesterday, cameras 9 & 10 were OK. Cameras 1-8 on the Black cable were not showing but 2 or 3 cameras, until I started movin the cables, and all at once the camers came up. Additional movement caused them to go off, and then I changed he cable (just happened to have an extra with me) and then they all came up and were stable. Same type of situation as stated at the early part of my post. New cable took care of problem (but at a hugh expense to me in time and travel). Question is: what can be done to keep this problem from happening again? Any help appreciated. Thanks, Robert

I know when setting up a geo card the manual said it makes a difference which side the blue/black pigtails are connected to.

You probably realise this but its the simplest things we tend to overlook .

While we are discussing pig tails .... any one have any pointers on a good way to protect them .. like install them in something so they dont just flop all over the place ..?? tanks ..

Rory

Question is: what can be done to keep this problem from happening again? Any help appreciated. Thanks, Robert

Only way to avoid these problems is to test each unit before leaving the workshop. We have had similar problems & I now insist that all our systems are run on our camera test rig with all their own pigtails, keyboard, mouse, monitor, kvm etc and be tested over the network/Internet etc.

In the long run it saves many many hours/miles and confusion.

ive been doing 3 day burn ins .... 24 hours seem okay to everyone else .? 3 days is just too much ...

tanks

Rory

While we are discussing pig tails .... any one have any pointers on a good way to protect them .. like install them in something so they dont just flop all over the place ..?? tanks ..

Rory

There is double sided velcro tape that comes in rolls and that is pretty good for cable management in situations like that (with velcro you can add or remove wires without cutting everything apart). While I get it all combined with velcro, I use a one hole ziptie with a selftapping metal screw to make a place to hang the wires off the back to take stress off of any connectors or wires on the back of the pc. You can pass the velcro through the one hole tie on the last wrap around the wires and then when you need to work on it, you can just undo the last wrap of velcro, pull the wires off do your work and then put it all back.

Another good product I have used for my audio/video wiring at home is that spiral cut plastic tubing material that you just spiral wrap around all your wires. That stuff isn't bad, but I find that the velcro tape works better if you have to get those wires back open to work on them.

-Marcus