Gesualdo

exterior installation wiring

What is the best wire for an exterior installation. I've been recommended cat 5 and siamese wire. The longest distance is 80 ft. with some exposed wire. is there a specific weatherproof wire I need or just make sure the connections are weatherproof.

Gesualdo

If you can, run conduit, if not, try some moulding, and use some weather gang boxes and join them in there, caulk up any exposed holes like where the wire comes into it, if using conduit just join that right into it.

As for wire, 80'. RG59 Siamese, or if exposed totally, some RG6 but make sure it is copper and a solid center, and not the cable TV aluminum braid.

Is the camera going to be buried any where or just for a exterior wiring?, If using camera that is going to be buried use cable that is direct burial, it is well worth the money down the road later on. If you are just going to be wiring for a exterior building I would use some type of moulding or if possible run the wires all the way across the building if its not to far.

You are not supposed to leave cables exposed, remember, this is SECURITY. Also, wire really shouldn't be exposed to the weather. Best way to run it, is through Rigid (for outside). Next best thing is EMT.

I have power going to a shed that I use as a workshop overhead and was looking to run the cable the same way. It's pretty high up so I'm not too worried about anyone cutting it. should I go wireless for this camera instead?

Thanks for the info.

Gesualdo

Don't advise wireless unless you can't avoid it, is it a domestic installation?

If the overhead route is high enough & you have power at the shed, it should be O.K. to fly coax cable as long as its supported by a tension wire.

I assume its not that high security that would make it worth somebody throwing a rope over it to bring it down.

Yeah, it's a home installation. not high risk.The neighbors had someone break into their garage and just want to keep an eye on things. Everything is locked up tight already and figured if they don't realize it's a camera line then they are less likely to pull it. Not that they are to bright around here.

Ran all mine undergound in PVC. I put a sub-panel in my garage, so I threw some extra PVC in there while I had it dug up.

got plenty ug in pvc for years, and too many hurricanes to count .. no issues

thought about it. If I were running power and camera lines fresh I would definitely do it, but right now looking at quick and easy, emphasis on easy.