Sign in to follow this  
raven100

help with designing an IP security system

Hi

I'm trying to estimate the cost of building an IP survilance system, until today we have been using only analog system and we have no expierence with IP systems.

i have been searching on various internet site and i found some very expensive NVR systems but on the other hand some very cheap solutions - just using a software on a PC.

can anyone give me some more information about the advantages and disadvantages of the different solutions.

important to mention, i will need a big system with 120 cameras.

i also heared the digital cameras will need much more storage space, is that true?

Thank you.

Hi

I'm trying to estimate the cost of building an IP survilance system, until today we have been using only analog system and we have no expierence with IP systems.

i have been searching on various internet site and i found some very expensive NVR systems but on the other hand some very cheap solutions - just using a software on a PC.

can anyone give me some more information about the advantages and disadvantages of the different solutions.

important to mention, i will need a big system with 120 cameras.

i also heared the digital cameras will need much more storage space, is that true?

Thank you.

Yes, since the resolution on IP camera are bigger and the quality is so much better you will need to get a lot of storage especially for 120 cameras. The big advantages in my opinion between paid NVR and those free NVR is the service you get when you purchase with technical support. If you just need a system to record, playback, and want to view it remotely and you know what you are doing I would personally go with a free software like NVS Center.

we have no expierence with IP systems.

for a system as large as 120 ip cameras. i would say get a company in. as well as camera options and software you will also need to build a good network.

also when looking for software or an NVR. take alook at any licence fees that some have and also build that into your budget.

I agree with the posts above. Also it is important and helpful to know the environment/system design of your project to pick the best system for it. I have been using a lot of QNAP NVR stand alone for my IP projects but mainly for small business and residential projects. They have most of the surveillance features you need in general and are pretty affordable.