cglaeser

Reliability of HDD vs Solid State

You are right that there is no real benefit on DVRs except for more reliability.

And less heat, which makes a huge difference in the middle of summer.

You are right that there is no real benefit on DVRs except for more reliability.

Not where I am

Not where I am

ahh Denmark .. true .. no hot summers there LOL

well its in the 60's here right now and we are freezing!

we had an extra long summer, was really spring, summer, and fall all into one long hell of heat and sun and deadly dengue infected mosquitoes .. .. finally a little cold .. but darnit I still got almost eaten alive by mosquitoes the other night!

Do it, it will make your computer much faster & it is shock resistant.

The only reason not to do it would be the price. You need to decide for yourself if the investment is worth it - it depends very much on how big the SSD would have to be. The more space you need, the less attractive is an SSD.

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to add some important information.

MTBF is not only rated in hours, but duty cycle as well.

Enterprise drives will have a high duty cycle such as 100% while consumer drives will have something like 20%. That duty cycle makes the MTBF a variable number. With DVRs, the duty cycle is 100%, and anything rated for a high MTBF with a lower duty cycle should have the MTBF re-calculated for the higher duty cycle.

There IS a big difference between enterprise and consumer drives. True enterprise drives are faster, more consistent, and typically require more expensive interfaces likes sas. I've seen the differences between consumer and enterprise drives for over two decades now. Also, enterprise drives still spin up and can read and write fine after being in storage, while consumer drives will fail in as little as a year in storage. Enterprise usually cost significantly more (30%+), but that's because they are built to last better.

Now this being said, with DVR technology evolving pretty quickly, if the DVR will be replaced in 5 years, a consumer drive may work just fine.

SSDs can make random writes much quicker, but sequential writes won't be much different than on a traditional drive. And because there are no moving parts where the data is written, data recovery becomes very, very, very difficult when hardware in the drive fails--there's literally no way to get it back--just like for flash drives.

Now how about SSHD (Solid State Hybrid Drives)... has anyone experienced using these puppies to avoid HD wear and tear?

like http://www.seagate.com/as/en/internal-hard-drives/solid-state-hybrid/desktop-solid-state-hybrid-drive/

There is no point in using these hybrid drives in NVR/DVR's....

Larger SSD now have incredibly long life, but the price and size limitation make them inefficient for recorders.

Personally, I will never buy another computer whose OS is running on anything other than SSD. I recently re-built an older Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, using one of these SSD's designed for pre-2006 computers. The laptop is now AMAZINGLY fast. But the REAL reason I use SSD's is reliability.

MeanTimeBetweenFailure: 2,000,000hrs

That is over 200 years!!!

Compare THAT to ANY ENTERPRISE level drive!!!

They also have solved the read/write lifetime performance decline that plagued previous SSD's

Not quite an accurate comparison. The MTBF isn't taking into account the limited amount of data that can be written, which is large, but still a HDD is primarily worn by simply running, while an SSD is primarily worn by writing.

The MTBF numbers for even HDDs is misleading, since no drive will ever last what they claim. They're not lying, it's just that MTBF doesn't quite mean what most think.

Modern hard drives are typically rated for a million hours MTBF (mean time before failure), and they'll do that, provided you look after them (no moving them around, keeping a fan on them so they don't cook, no huge hot/cold temperature swings etc).

Are you trying to say a HDD will spin for 114 years continuously, because that's what 1M hours is. It's doubtful the bearings will last that long.

Now how about SSHD (Solid State Hybrid Drives)... has anyone experienced using these puppies to avoid HD wear and tear?

like http://www.seagate.com/as/en/internal-hard-drives/solid-state-hybrid/desktop-solid-state-hybrid-drive/

There is no point in using these hybrid drives in NVR/DVR's....

Larger SSD now have incredibly long life, but the price and size limitation make them inefficient for recorders.

Depends on how much space you need. I have a 240GB for mine. It gets me 2 weeks easily on motion detect, which is fine for my use.