SoM3_Idi0t

too many DVRs.....head will explode!

Good morning guys. Im lookin to purchase a DVR and some camaras. Ive been doing some research the past week and a half, and I think my head is ready to explode.

I think i know what Im looking for spec wise, but not when it comes to brand. Ive always believed you get what you pay for, so moeny isnt really the issue, but then again, Im not lookin to drop 5k on anything. This is where my head goes boom.......

Here are some of the brands Ive came across (some are different names, but the DVR looks the same)

Intellipix (worldeye), QV Series (which looks identical to) the GenIV G4-XLAHD, Nuvico, everfocus, and then you have your lower end Lorex and Qsee stuff.

I think Im looking for these qualities but..... Heres where I ask for advise for you guys.

highest quality recording D1 on all channels?

atleast 30fps

atleast 8 cams (willing to buy 16 cam DVR if I get better recording options.)

web access/remote view

expandable storage, Ill buy my own Hardrives/ aleast a 500G HD

PTZ function

As far as camaras go.....I would need 1 Dome PTZ, and the rest can be fixed outdoor camaras.

What do you guys recommend.....

Thanks.

Ronn.

A few quick comments.

- If you are going to add your own hard drive, why 500GB? Get something bigger.

- You don't need 30 fps.

- If a DIY asks for PTZ, they are usually looking for a fun toy and don't really need it to enhance security.

- Regarding your question about a DVR, I prefer using a quality NVR app with IP cameras and/or video encoders for the analog cameras.

Best,

Christopher

Oh, so many questions to ask you.

Skip the PTZ. I have one and it is an expenisive toy.

The basic functions are often the same, so the deciding factor maybe some of the less common requirements.

How well lit is your environment? That will help you decide IP vs analog. (Low light, low cost and IP do not mix well)

For remote access, do you need a mobile platform compatibiliy? Do you want to be able to live view or view recorded video also.

Do you want to integrate any PIR alarms? If so, what action do you want? For example, with a Geovision (and others I'm sure), when you approach my house I get an interior chime and an email sent to my phone that include images from 4 of my cameras.

Ask your questions fellas.......Im learning from all of this, so please pardon the ignorance.

@cglaeser: a 500G would get me started. Lookin at the prices of what companys charge for a HD is just nuts. I can get HDs way cheaper.

Why not a 30fps? Faster is better?

@bike_rider: Not sure how to answer the how well lit question, I have motion sensor spot lights on all 4 corners of my place, and its well lit when there on?? Im not quite sure about IP or Analog. Leaning more towards analog but Im open to suggustions.Which one is better IP/analog. I would like moblie/web access. Live or recorded? I would assume live. Im not looking to integrate anything.

I couldnt figure a way to explain what i was thinking for the PTZ so Heres a crappy drawing of my place. The PTZ would cover driveway 2 /part of the front/all of the side of my house.

house.png

There is no "better" between IP and analog. Its all about what you need and what your willing to spend. (Analog is much cheaper, and will give you what you need).

30FPS is almost never needed for CCTV applications. Unless you're watching a driveway with cars going in/out at like 50mph, its just not needed. 15FPS is a good sweet-spot, and even 7.5 is fine for most applications too.

Almost all DVRs will have live viewing included, accessible by your smartphone or web browser from anywhere. Looks like 8 cameras ought to be good for your setup.

My choices = Samsung SRD series + CNB 24VF line, or Empire Security's Effio's. I like cat5+baluns for video/power. Check out my project in my sig for the setup I did with them...

PTZs are cool - get one if you want the fun of it! When you're not using it, I would just park it on a certain spot, as if it were a normal camera.

It's surveillance video, not the next blockbuster movie. Depending on the situation, even 15fps is often more than is needed. Ask yourself this question. In terms of preventing or solving a crime, what would 30fps provide that 15fps would not.

Also, you seem to be concerned about the cost of a 2TB HDD. 30fps is going to fill up that 500GB HDD pretty quick.

Best,

Christopher

Not worth getting hung up on 30fps. If you're getting a decent dvr, 30fps will be an option anway. It's up to you whether you'll use it or not, or opt for less fps. As for hard drive- take stock of what your recording needs are. I have a 500gb in my dvr. But my needs for recording are this-

- Motion recording only between 12am and 5am [prime time crime hours]

- HD1 @ 20fps, bit rate highest over 8 cameras

- 30 seconds recording after the motion [keeps recording down to a minimum]

- I'm available to turn off recording to any camera or all, if needed [spiders/rain]

- Motion detection area very well tailored for each camera

All that equates to a seriously LONG amount of available recording time to my 500gb. I've been recording for just over three weeks and haven't really made a dent. I average around 80 or so motion recordings per night, each averaging around 4mb per file size for that five hour block I have set. If the motion lasts longer, the file size gets bigger accordingly. So for my needs, a 500gb hd is plenty sufficient. At this rate, I figure I'll be good for months and months before filling up- maybe even over a half year. If you record 24/7 or even motion day and night, you'll need to consider that and get a big hard drive. Generally, get a big one anyway. It certainly can't hurt. But depending, a 500gb can be just fine.

My setup is in my sig link, as well as some other vids on my setup in there. Have a look. Good luck. My headache and anxiety over choosing, buying, and installing my system is only now subsiding!

Dan

hi. the main part of a DVR is the hard drive. no point buying a good D1 dvr and then setting it up to basic settings just to save HD space.

8 way have at least 1tb 16 way 2tb. and order your DVR that way. then you dont have problems with warranty.

As I mentioned- large hard drive is good. Keep in mind most dvr's allow for bigger hard drive upgrades too- even if they come with only 500gb stock. But the bigger the better, or at least one that will allow for a 2tb upgrade, even though it only comes with a 500gb stock.

Dan

I appreciate all the feedback guys. I do Building Automation/HVAC work, so I deal with computers and database on a daily basis. So I understand the concern with getting a bigger HD. I can get any size I need without the cost. Looking around on different sites and I just cant justify 500GB HDD (+$65.00) 1TB HDD (+$85.00) 2TB HDD (+$165.00) 165 for a 2TB?? really? I seen some sites that sale the DVRs without HDs so........IDK.

Anyways.

I guess Im confused because some DVRs look the same. Are they made by the same manufacture? Im used to buying name brand stuff.

I dont want to buy some chinese knockoffs..... I dont mind dropping $ 1000s on a DVR I just want to make sure its not junk. And most of the names Ive come across are strange, other than Honeywell, Samsung.

example:

G4-XLAHD and QV-PRO H.264 DVRs they appear to be identical?

What are names that I should look for? Stay away from?

It's surveillance video, not the next blockbuster movie. Depending on the situation, even 15fps is often more than is needed. Ask yourself this question. In terms of preventing or solving a crime, what would 30fps provide that 15fps would not.

Also, you seem to be concerned about the cost of a 2TB HDD. 30fps is going to fill up that 500GB HDD pretty quick.

Best,

Christopher

HAHA. Maybe it could be.

Not worth getting hung up on 30fps. If you're getting a decent dvr, 30fps will be an option anway. It's up to you whether you'll use it or not, or opt for less fps. As for hard drive- take stock of what your recording needs are. I have a 500gb in my dvr. But my needs for recording are this-

- Motion recording only between 12am and 5am [prime time crime hours]

- HD1 @ 20fps, bit rate highest over 8 cameras

- 30 seconds recording after the motion [keeps recording down to a minimum]

- I'm available to turn off recording to any camera or all, if needed [spiders/rain]

- Motion detection area very well tailored for each camera

All that equates to a seriously LONG amount of available recording time to my 500gb. I've been recording for just over three weeks and haven't really made a dent. I average around 80 or so motion recordings per night, each averaging around 4mb per file size for that five hour block I have set. If the motion lasts longer, the file size gets bigger accordingly. So for my needs, a 500gb hd is plenty sufficient. At this rate, I figure I'll be good for months and months before filling up- maybe even over a half year. If you record 24/7 or even motion day and night, you'll need to consider that and get a big hard drive. Generally, get a big one anyway. It certainly can't hurt. But depending, a 500gb can be just fine.

My setup is in my sig link, as well as some other vids on my setup in there. Have a look. Good luck. My headache and anxiety over choosing, buying, and installing my system is only now subsiding!

Dan

Thanks.

Someone told me this once......K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple Stupid) The problem on my projects, i make them more complicated than they need to be.

The headache continues! Still looking.

I appreciate all the feedback guys. I do Building Automation/HVAC work, so I deal with computers and database on a daily basis. So I understand the concern with getting a bigger HD. I can get any size I need without the cost. Looking around on different sites and I just cant justify 500GB HDD (+$65.00) 1TB HDD (+$85.00) 2TB HDD (+$165.00) 165 for a 2TB

hi. cheap hard drives never work in a DVR. you may be good at building computer based automation systems. and the prices you have listed are not that bad.

most DVRs have a recommended list for HD to use.

a PC can write over or passed bad sectors on cheap HD and can even repair them. a DVR cant a bad sector to a DVR is a bad hard drive. it will stop recording.

take a look at the Apollo HD pro D1 that is real time recording

I think that for the average home user, there isn't that much to distinguish the various mid-level DVRs. BTW, remote viewing of live and recorded view from a smartphone depends entirely on what platform your smart phone is.

I have a geovision system that I like. It has every feature I could imagine. I'm sure people with NUUO and Avermedia systems are probably just as happy. If you really want to know what distinguishes them, I'd download the manuals to each and see what they can do. I have to warn you that the manual to the Geovision system is 600+ pages.

You guys are hard pressed on the HDs. Its all good. Altho I dont remember saying I buy cheap HDs. I can get better prices on HDs than what these companies are offering....its NOT a big deal.....Moving on.

I ll take a look at the Apollo. But Ive got some more questions.

I was reading the forums and found a post with some info about VIVOTEK. Are they any good?

Someone mentioned NVRs which got me thinking .......rack mounted equipment which would fit in my Server Rack at my house.

Ive also ran across PC Cards. Are there any pros/cons with PC cards? Would it be cheaper to build a PC with a PC DVR card?

Any thoughts?

I think that for the average home user, there isn't that much to distinguish the various mid-level DVRs. BTW, remote viewing of live and recorded view from a smartphone depends entirely on what platform your smart phone is.

I have a geovision system that I like. It has every feature I could imagine. I'm sure people with NUUO and Avermedia systems are probably just as happy. If you really want to know what distinguishes them, I'd download the manuals to each and see what they can do. I have to warn you that the manual to the Geovision system is 600+ pages.

Well again, im not sure of who makes what. Like Tom mentioned to check out the Qvis Apollo HD pro D1. Well I come across 3 that are identical to each other. Qvis, GenIV, and this QV-16PRO.

I think I came across a post here about someone asking/telling about Honeywells xxx-xxx camaras. It talked about badge swapping, and I guess thats what Im finding out about DVRs, hence the reason Im here asking you guys dumb questions.

Qvis Apollo HD pro D1. Well I come across 3 that are identical to each other. Qvis, GenIV, and this QV-16PRO.

hi. yes they are renamed Dahua DVRs.

rack mounted equipment which would fit in my Server Rack at my house.

have you thought of hybrid DVR mix and match of standard and IP cameras

http://www.averusa.com/surveillance/productdetail.aspx?id=136

Ive also ran across PC Cards. Are there any pros/cons with PC cards? Would it be cheaper to build a PC with a PC DVR card?

Any thoughts?

I have a PC card based system and I would not recommend it unless you like to tinker with computers. Adding in PC config details, OS stability issues and upgrades to the mix, etc isn't worth the hassle for most people.

problem with PC based DVR is system instability, rather than using the standard xp/vista or windows 7 it would be best using linux, all standalone DVR are embedded linux thus allowing for system stability and performance.

there are two types of pc based cctv dvr, software based which utilizes too much system performance, or hardware based dvr card of which all processing is done on the card rather than the computer system, thus allowing you to multi function using the pc as a normal pc and still have the cctv running in the background.

My suggestion is if you want a dedicated CCTV system for your home or business stick to a standalone, or rather should you want a system that you can do work upon ie internet use, application use therefore system is mutlifunctional then PC is the way to go

When it comes to sysytem resources, I prefer standalone. If you're using a computer based system, make it a computer that does nothing else- not your every day surfing computer. Also, whichever dvr you choose, make plenty sure it's compatable with your chosen platform- be it pc or mac. And make sure it supports the browser you use in your world- it will matter when viewing remotely. For instance- IE9 is touchy for remote viewing with some dvrs unless they've had a firmware update to support it. IE8 seems to be universally supported. And if you're a mac user, be certain it supports that.

Dan

problem with PC based DVR is system instability

No problem with that if its setup properly as a DVR, but many dont do that.

Qvis Apollo HD pro D1. Well I come across 3 that are identical to each other. Qvis, GenIV, and this QV-16PRO.

hi. yes they are renamed Dahua DVRs.

rack mounted equipment which would fit in my Server Rack at my house.

have you thought of hybrid DVR mix and match of standard and IP cameras

http://www.averusa.com/surveillance/productdetail.aspx?id=136

I think this what ive been looking for. Have you had any experience with them?

Any thoughts?

I have a PC card based system and I would not recommend it unless you like to tinker with computers. Adding in PC config details, OS stability issues and upgrades to the mix, etc isn't worth the hassle for most people.

I love tinker with stuff! I have a ton of computer components lying around to build another PC. But your right, it would be another server I would have to maintain.