blackjackel

Why aren't there any 1080P DVR's yet?

everything is 1080i, which is fake 1080 (or 720 at best).

With how cheap cameras have gotten these days, why aren't there any 1080p DVRs on the market?

I just googled around, I was very surprised to see that there weren't any :/

You won't find HDcctv cameras particularly "cheap" either - they tend to be pretty much on par with megapixel IP cameras.

Keep in mind that common HDTV transmission mediums (HDMI, component video) aren't suitable for CCTV use (HDMI is distance-limited, component video requires multiple signal lines), so HD signal in CCTV requires more specialized interfaces, generally either IP or SDI. Neither is a "cheap" technology to add to a camera.

BTW, megapixel IP cameras go well beyond 1080p in resolution - 1080p (1920x1080 pixels) is barely 2MP... 3MP and 5MP IP cameras are common now, and 8, 10, 12, and even 16MP versions can be had (for the right price).

I agree, once you get over 960H probably be best to go IP at that point.

Eg 960H Effio DVR 960×576

Rory do u believe that DVR will give true 960H (960×576)

recording resolution ?

recording resolution ?

No idea.

Can 960×576 travel along RG59?

Personally I would wait for someone else to test it out and post the results before buying it.

Why cant 960x576 can be sent over RG59, its just a regular video signal right? You can send a very good picture over rca, why not rg59? I think that the recorders compression is important because a poorly compressed video signal will look bad with any of resolution.

recording resolution ?

No idea.

Personally I would wait for someone else to test it out and post the results before buying it.

I think it would be really cool if the high TVL of today's cameras (say 750x650) could actually be recorded, for no extra cost (other than buying a new recorder).

What exactly IS the resolution limit of NTSC analog signals??

No idea.

Fair enough

let me rephrase

When u record at D1 (using your DVR or capture card)

do u believe u getting true D1 quality recording ?

Fair enough

let me rephrase

do u believe u getting true D1 quality recording ?

I would say it would be determinate on the effective pixel count of the camera being used.

For example if you are using a camera with an effective pixel count of 512x492 then of course you are not getting true D1 quality due to the weak link theory.

But if you are using a camera with an effective pixel count of say 976x494, then I would say yes, the DVR is getting pretty close to playing back a true D1 720x480 or 704x480.

If you think differently I would be interested in hearing why.

interesting.

So what's the good balance between good quality and cheap price nowadays?

I found a 16 channel dvr system that supports up to 550TV lines for 340 bucks.

do u believe u getting true D1 quality recording

ak357. you are very right. there is alot more to look at other than pixel count on a dvr. you also need the amount of data in each pixel. (bitrate)

What exactly IS the resolution limit of NTSC analog signals??
NTSC analog is usually specified as 450 lines maximum with color signals and 600 lines with monochrome (B/W). Analog NTSC color broadcast signals were typically 330 lines (due to filtering required to prevent adjacent channel interference) . Most color analog signal distribution and monitoring equipment is limited to between 450 and 500 lines.

VCRs had various capabilities:

250 lines: Umatic, Betamax, VHS, Video8, CED

300 lines: Super Betamax, Betacam (professional)

330 lines: analog broadcast, BetacamSP

420 lines: LaserDisc, S-VHS, Hi8

500 lines: Enhanced Definition Betamax

Cameras that advertise 600+ line capability are usually either overrated or rated in monochrome mode. And since analog switches, distribution amps, encoders and monitors are not capable of that resolution, it would be wasted anyway. Forget about using "standard" signal distribution, switching, recording or monitoring equipment for 960H.