lowpro

Upgrading to a Dahua hybrid dvr - See video of thieves

Sounds like the qsee cams I replaced and they are rough! Curious- you upgraded the dvr but they kept the qsee cams in line? What's the difference at that point!

I changed one Qsee camera as it was bad. Another camera was some other brand that was there from the initial install, it has more powerful IR. 1 other needs to be changed as with lights off it cant see much and after them seeing the picture from the new color IR camera they said they wanted that picture there as well. The last one is supposed to be ok according to them at least it was before the hurricane, but will see after I clean it and lower it on a pole. This system was there for a year but nothing ever worked. The daytime picture with the QSee cameras are actually okay for them, the picture just sucks at night!

As for the DVR, they got the Dahua 8 channel VGA at a steal - $200!

Local supplier has 10 of them he wants to get rid of cheap.

Used the 250GB HDD from their Qsee.

I'd love to see all TDN cameras but people just arent spending that these days (avg local cost $300+each). They got a new DVR, $70 APC voltage regulator, a new Camera, Existing cameras troubleshooted and terminated (as proper as could do with spliced camera cables), and the whole system connected properly and up and recording for just $550 (plus the electrician that replaced the bad wiring which was in conduit).

Bottom line, initial goal was just to get a picture from all 4 cameras onto the TV in their bedroom for as little cost as possible - they only had 1 barely working camera. I had all 4 cameras working on the QSee from yesterday. But I suggested the DVR upgrade so they would at least have some decent recording, plus have 4 more inputs for additional cameras. Now they see a good night image from 2 cameras, they want that from the other 2 even if it means replacing them. They were initially quite adamant that the picture they had from the existing cameras were fine - but as we can see they changed their mind

Doing a vid with a camera pointed at a monitor screen for demonstration doesn't help that much either.

I finally got around to converting the h.264 from the dvr to an avi file. Here it is from the dvr.

Edited by Guest

Is it me or does the avi show the best detail? From the avi, I think you could grab a few still frames that would be useful. As Rory says, if the cops are familiar with the guy, there a few decent frames in there that could do the job.

Dan

Awesome, thanks guys!

On a side note: I caught (on video) 4 freakin' raccoons messing around in my backyard. They really tore up my lawn. Soo pissed!

There is ALWAYS going to be something better, and even when one gets what they think is the best, something new will come out that is even better

Live for today, worry about 2 years from now, 2 years from now.

I asked a client if we could run cat5 in addition to the RG59 siamese incase she wants to add IP Megapixel in a year or two .. she said she might be dead in a year or two so no tanks.

Or just run cat 5, use baluns for now, They even make power/video baluns for cat 5. (Which I'm sure you know, but for others..)

Or just run cat 5, use baluns for now, They even make power/video baluns for cat 5. (Which I'm sure you know, but for others..)

Would have cost too much, would have had to order the baluns, thats 1-2 weeks and $30-50 per balun (x8) after shipping/markup. RG59 Siamese for all cameras cost them under $100, BNCs are like $2 each.

Just to piggyback onto this thread was reading with interest and wondered what IP megapixel cams all would recommend. I need to setup a 4-5 cam setup very similar to Low and as I am starting at 0 with POE through my residence thought IP would be the best way to go for outdoor/night ?

Thanks for any recos