SmallBusinessUser

Highest Res and Quality From 8 Camera System Under $5,000?

Advice on configuration is appreciated.

1) Does anyone have a resource were sample images of best quality possible for Analog Camera to DVR?

I am looking for sample images for DVR recording from analog cameras, with the highest resolution attainable, and the best quality compression attainable. That is how I found this forum. Lots of examples of IP cameras & Systems, but not so many from analog camera to DVR.

2) Here is my configuration so far, and pricing, that adds up to around $3,500 including cabling. Please give me all your feedback.

CameraA: http://www.samsung-security.com/products/security-cameras/analog-cameras/fixed-domes/SCV-2080R.aspx

CameraB: http://www.samsung-security.com/SAMSUNG/upload/Product_Specifications/SCB-2001-Specifications.pdf

DVR SpecSheet: http://www.samsung-security.com/products/security-cameras/analog-cameras/fixed-domes/SCV-2080R.aspx

DVR WebPage: http://www.samsung-security.com/products/video-recording-and-management/dvr/8-channel/SRD-850DC.aspx

Monitor: http://www.samsung-security.com/products/lcd-monitors/lcd-monitors/19-inch-lcd-monitors/SMT-1922.aspx

LensA: http://www.samsung-security.com/products/camera-lenses/vari-focal-lenses/SLA-2810D.aspx

LensB: http://www.samsung-security.com/products/camera-lenses/vari-focal-lenses/SLA-550DA.aspx

All pricing add up to around $3,500 for 8 cameras and lenses (combination of 4 box cameras and housings and 4 lenses, plus 4 dome-cameras-including-lenses), DVR, Power Panel, and siamese-cabling.

3) Is it true that the highest resolution possible, of still image captured and exported from any available DVR is 704x480?

4) At max resolution, what variables will give best still image quality? Compression algorithm used? Other?

5) What questions are I not asking that I should be asking, to get the highest resolution and quality of still image from a video security system under $5,000?

With thanks,

Duane

I think that analog picture from TheWireGuys is an innacurate representation of today's analog technology which is considerably better then shown.

There is no doubt that IP is higher resolution but Analog is not nearly as bad as portrayed in that picture.

167955_1.jpg

As he noted previously, that's a Pelco PTZ - definitely not bargain-basement stuff (from the OSD, I'd guess a Spectra IV?)

Even my cheap cameras and $200.00 DVR cameras captures better images then that.

That is certainly not an accurate representation of analog technology today.

167955_1.jpg

As he noted previously, that's a Pelco PTZ - definitely not bargain-basement stuff (from the OSD, I'd guess a Spectra IV?)
Edited by Guest

No that was my other image (from the thread that was deleted). This is from a Openeye Optix model CM-525P.

ANALOG CAMERA TEST 2:

Can u post D1 ?

and old ? still here

When u record at D1 resolution do u get D1 quality picture ?

So anyway, back on track...

Advice on configuration is appreciated.

1) Does anyone have a resource were sample images of best quality possible for Analog Camera to DVR?

A few samples have been posted above...

3) Is it true that the highest resolution possible, of still image captured and exported from any available DVR is 704x480?

With NTSC video, yes, pretty much (some will do up to 740x480, not a huge difference). This is a hard limitation of the video standard used; all analog cameras and DVRs that use the NTSC standard will be bound by it.

4) At max resolution, what variables will give best still image quality? Compression algorithm used? Other?

Compression type, and compression level (most codecs are adjustable on a quality vs. size basis). Which codec is "best" will vary a bit depending on the type of scenes you're viewing, and you have to test some different ones to determine which suits your needs the best.

5) What questions are I not asking that I should be asking, to get the highest resolution and quality of still image from a video security system under $5,000?

As indicated, you can probably use at least SOME megapixel cameras and still stay within budget. Keep in mind that going ALL megapixel means you don't need analog capture hardware, so there's a bit of cost savings there.

I think that analog picture from TheWireGuys is an innacurate representation of today's analog technology which is considerably better then shown.

There is no doubt that IP is higher resolution but Analog is not nearly as bad as portrayed in that picture.

167955_1.jpg

Look at the back of the pix (which everybody like)

and tell me what the difference between Mike pix and this one

I am talking about details far away

effionoir082311.jpg.242493b2cfbe5c738507b488cca94e2b.jpg

I think its well understood that analog is not as high end as IP. There is simply not enough pixel density with analog to see details far away like with IP.

I think ripping a thread to shreds is over moderating, frankly. Lots of things can be learned even in a thread that goes off the rails.

Info that was lost in this thread now....if I can remember....is that the OP needs six cams around the perimeter and he needs clear wide shots covering large FOV's. A truck was stolen, driven right off the lot. Pictures of cars in driveways right in front of the camera need not apply, I don't believe. Correct me if I'm wrong. Good analog cams at doorways and loading bay garage doors may suffice, but MP cams for wide shots showing minute detail that you can drill into is probably the way to go. I learned this from information in this thread before it was ripped out.

ak357- this question has not been answered. Perhaps YOU can enlighten us to the answer, and why. That way it'll save you the trouble of trying to trip everyone up with it on a frequent basis.

Dan

Anyone who uses an Analog camera zoomed that far out to capture images that far away is smoking some good herb. That was a 2.8-12mm lens zoomed all the way back at 2.8mm. If I wanted to capture images that were circled in your image that far away, I would use a much stronger lens. I agree that a 2MP camera with a 2mm lens compared to an analog camera with a 2mm lens will give a better image. But tt appears that the image shown by the wire guys was recorded in CIF or QCIF and highly compressed at that. There is a reason why people still buy analog. Perhaps you can tell us what an Avigilion camera sells to the end consumer for and what the typical analog camera sells to the end consumer for and that will probably enlighten everyone why people still buy analog. More so, tell us what an entire system with all avigilon equipment sells for compared to what an entire system with analog equipment sells for and that will enlighten us even more. I am not dissing IP, I plan on carrying it within the next couple of months, but my point is it sometimes comes down to affordability.

You asked this question on a couple of other threads and I followed up with another question in which you never answered. My question is if I am using an Analog Camera that has an effective pixel rating of 976(H) x 494(V) and I am recording at D1 with the lowest compression setting (highest quality). What will be my pixel count at the post recorded image? Is it going to be lower than 704x480? Significantly lower? I am not saying that it isnt, but I want to see your educated answer based on scientific data.

The analog image was recorded at 720 by 480 and exported at 720 by 480 using a Lossless JPEG2000 compression with quality set at 6 with 1 being the highest.

As for the Avigilon pricing it is not something we can post on the web.

You asked this question on a couple of other threads and I followed up with another question in which you never answered. My question is if I am using an Analog Camera that has an effective pixel rating of 976(H) x 494(V) and I am recording at D1 with the lowest compression setting (highest quality). What will be my pixel count at the post recorded image? Is it going to be lower than 704x480? Significantly lower? I am not saying that it isnt, but I want to see your educated answer based on scientific data.

OK

let me explain my point and my opinion

1. let define couple thing

D1 resolution in my opinion when we capture video and create file

so when you open file u get 720x480 windows

agree ?

2.what is D1 quality in my personal opinion ?

well in my books that when you can RESOLVE each line

so I create Bitmap file (test line.bmp) u can see at

end of my post

Bitmap have few Horizontal and Vertical lines and size 720x480

and they are exactly one pixel apart

I would like who ever interested print this file

then get you best camera with your best lenses

set up your DVR for best possible recording quality

place pix at front of the camera following way

on your monitor screen left side sees left side of the image

and right side of the monitor sees right side of the image

start recording, get still shot

and then post image here

My point that DVR produce 720x480 windows

but none of the CCTV DVR on market can RESOLVE those lines

and give true D1 Quality

at least I never seen one

SEANHAWG I hope that is scientific enough for you

by the way I am not interested to talk why ?

enough was sad before (compression,chip set,bit rate and other bla,bla )

168066_1.jpg

I did get the horizontal lines to reproduce but not the vertical, so yes I would say that you are partially correct because I am too stubborn to say you are fully correct I will say that I didnt have the best printer, I only have monochrome and even with the best resolution setting the lines were not defined on my paper and areas were grayed in between the lines. But even if I did have a more defined image, I doubt it would probably make much of an effect on the vertical resolution so I am not trying to make excuses .

168106_1.jpg

Of course, barrel distortion will affect how the lines appear as well, so it's not really a fair assessment unless you're using a long enough lens to avoid the distortion.

Actually, it's not an entirely accurate assessment anyway, because it doesn't account for any flaws or chromatic aberrations in the lens itself, either. A fingerprint smudge on the front element would throw the whole thing off.

What are some of the other standard charts out there that can test CCTV resolution. I seen the ISO chart that has a bunch of different things on it.

I would like to see what a megapixel camera does under the same test. For example, a 720p camera tested under the same test but with a chart the size of 1280 x 720 and a camera with the same (or around the same) output.

The encoder did not produce d1 image either.

168127_1.jpg

I am curious to see an IP camera that is set to 720x480 rez to see if it can resolve those lines. Can you set the Avigilon to D1 or VGA rez?