vmgtlexi

Samsung SCO-2080R Power Failures

One of my two new SCO-2080R cameras has been up for about 10 days. Over that 10 days, it has had power problems about 10 times. It powers down and then back up randomly. It stays powered down for anywhere from a few seconds at a time to over an hour at a time. This is only camera with this issue.

I have a 9 channel 12VDC power supply that provides 5A. I only have 5 12VDC cameras attached to it; thus the power supply is not under very heavy loads. I have checked all the power connections and everything is tight. At the camera end, I even have the power connection secured tightly with many wraps of electrical tape. So, there is no risk of a bad connection.

Video is below. Watch the whole 1 minute to see what it does. Simply amazing. Since the camera re-initializes each time there is video loss, this tells me that it's a power issue to/with the camera (as opposed to a bad video connection at the DVR).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jS2SXOKmM0

I have a 9 channel 12VDC power supply that provides 5A. I only have 5 12VDC cameras attached to it; thus the power supply is not under very heavy loads.

hi. 9 cameras total 5 amp will be your problem you need 4 amp just for the samsung your camera are under powered.

The recommended adaptor specification for SCO-2080RN/P is DC 12V/4A, AC 24V/2A over.

Please check the standard power requirement before connecting the power.

( Recommend AC 24A/2A over adaptor for a long-distance.)

you may find that this is the problem you have had with your camera setup.

The camera's official specs state only 6.5 watt power consumption (even with IR LED's on). That is not even close to 1 amp of draw.

On my 9-channel power supply, I only have 5 cameras attached (all of which draw 1 amp or less).

So, how can this be a power supply problem?

I don't follow your logic.

Have you tried hooking up another cameras cable to it just to rule out a bad cable?

And to a different channel in the dvr to rule out a bad bnc connector?

Shockwave -- thanks for the suggestions.

Trying another cable is not feasible. Running a new cables to this location is a major undertaking (attics, fishing a 3-story wall shaft, etc.).

I don't think it's a BNC/video connection problem. When the video comes back, it shows the camera's "initialization" procedure. That tells me that the camera lost power (as opposed to the DVR simply losing video feed).

Thanks for all the input! Appreciate all ideas!!

Given that it's apparently in an installed location, pull the camera down and play with it on the bench/table/desk. Use a hefty power supply just for this camera alone, and see if it still does the power down/up dance.

If it seems good on the test bench, reinstall the camera, and they just temporarily change that one camera to run on the power supply you tested it with (no on the current PSU).

Right- what was I thinking! But really, it's the biggest PIA there is I know, but you should really run a temp cable to the camera to rule out a bad line. Could be a problem anywhere along that run. Sucks, but it should be ruled out.

two cameras i have here and on every SCO- 2080r manual it states PAGE 5

The recommended adaptor specification for SCO-2080RN is DC 12V/4A, AC 24V/2A over.

Please check the standard power requirement before connecting the power.

( Recommend AC 24A/2A over adaptor for a long-distance.)

1 amp will not start that camera.

Tom - Thank you. I see that spec in the manual.

With my 12V 5A supply, I believe there's a max output of about 3.5 amps per channel. Even on many of the 16 channel power supplies for sale, there is only a max 4 or 5 amp rating. How does this math work? For example, if I had 9 SCO-2080R cameras, how would they work on ANY of the power supplies? They all seem to be rated for 4 or 5 AMPS total.

To take that question one step further, if I did have 9 SCO-2080R cameras, what would be the ideal central power supply unit to power them without any concerns about sufficient power? How many amps??

Tom - The camera has done the same thing even in the middle of the day (ie, when it does NOT try to power up the IR). I hear what you're saying; my 1st thought was that it must be a low-power problem due to the IR. But, it also does this when there is no need for IR.

I appreciate your feedback and helping me think through this problem! Thanks again!!

Tom - The camera has done the same thing even in the middle of the day (ie, when it does NOT try to power up the IR). I hear what you're saying; my 1st thought was that it must be a low-power problem due to the IR. But, it also does this when there is no need for IR.

I appreciate your feedback and helping me think through this problem! Thanks again!!

it will shut down at any time being on 1 amp. you are under powered .....

PAGE 12 camera power 12v 4 amp http://www.samsungsecurity.co.uk/upload/products/SCO-2080R/download/20100317_0_SCO-2080R_ENG_100316.pdf

we use these cameras they are high powered 4 amp is unusual but that is what the camera needs.

Tom - OK.

I have a 2nd SCO-2080R that does not have any power shut down problems (it's run from the same power supply box).

Anyway, assuming for the moment that it's a power supply issue, can you advise me on a new power supply?

I prefer a DC power supply unit. But, of all the ones I see, most seem to max out at 10A total output (and I have to get a 16 unit PSU for that level of amps). Will that be enough across 9 cameras?

There are also 16-unit AC units with 25A total output. But, I really prefer DC power.

Do you feel strongly one way or the other....

1) AC versus DC?? and

2) 10A (DC) total output versus 25A (AC) total output??

Thx!

So, the camera requires 4A from 12VDC or 2A from 24VAC.

This AC supply is rated at 3.5A output each channel, so that would be more than enough for the 2A (24VAC) requirement. Is that correct? http://www.altronix.com/p_data/DSALTV2416600UL.pdf

This DC supply is rated at 3.5A output each channel. But, the camera requires 4A from 12VDC. Would this be "not quite enough" or would it be fine? http://www.altronix.com/p_data/DSALTV615DC1016.pdf

if you only have 2 samsungs that need 4 amp i would just buy two of these power supplies. and use your existing 9 way power supply for the rest of your cameras.

regulated 12v 5 amp cctv supply. but if your cable runs are long then you will need to go 24v

169040_1.jpg

According to the specs power consumption is only 6.8 watts with the IR on, probably in 24VAC so double it for 12VDC. 6.8 watts looks to be 500ma?

http://www.samsungsecurity.co.uk/upload/products/SCO-2080R/download/20100408_0_20100408SCO-2080R_2P_E.pdf

Regardless, I would try a larger PSU.

4A is pushing it though, even the $2000 powerful Extreme IR cameras only use 2A for 12VDC and those are DUAL cameras with all kinds of boards and IR with heat sinks - though the newer ones use around 3A but they are twice the size of the older models, which were 4 times the size of a little bullet camera like this samsung. I just dont see how that little bullet will consume 4A, it makes no sense, that has to be a typo. And when I say little, it is compared to the Extreme Dual cameras.

Rory,

Thanks!

As Tom pointed out to me, the manual states:

"The recommended adaptor specification for SCO-2080RN/P is DC 12V/4A, AC 24V/2A over. Recommend AC 24A/2A over adaptor for a long-distance."

I am no engineer and have a LIMITED grasp of electrical math.

My current power supply is a 9-channel 5A total output 12VDC supply. I only have 5 cameras on it (2 of these SCO-2080's and 3 other cameras that draw 1A or less).

At face value, that seems to support Tom's suggestion that the camera is under-powered. If it is correct that 5A total output divided by 5 cameras means a max of 1A output per channel, then I can see where Tom is correct.

But, it's the ONLY camera with this issue. I have 2 of these cameras and 3 other cameras. Why is this the only one with the power problem? Seems like I would at least see the same symptoms on the other SCO-2080.

Odd.

Grab something like a 12VDC laptop power supply which will be more than enough amps and try just that camera with it, then you will know at least if its the camera or not. BTW if it needs 1A just for example, then you should go over to like 1.2A or more common 1.5A. Which would explain that 4x1.2=4.8, not leaving enough for the other camera. Did you try and move the camera power cables around on the PSU?

And is the distance to this camera longer than the other ones?

What type of cable are you using to power it?

The distance to this camera is actually the shortest of all 5 of my cameras. I guesstimate it to be about 80 feet of cable.

I bought siamese RG59/18-2 from Cables to Go. It's thick and nice quality; nicer than the cabling on my other 4 cameras.

Here is more analysis.

I searched the DVR's records for all "video loss" events since this new camera was installed and connected to the new DVR (about a week).

There have been unexplained video losses on 10 occassions in the past week. All video losses were with this one camera exclusively. All other cameras and household devices were on (ie, no local power outages).

9 of these video loss events took place on the same day - 10/11/11. These 9 video loss events came and went during a 12 hour period from about 7:51AM to 8:18 PM on 10/11/11.

The 10th, and most recent video loss occurred today 10/18 and the camera had no power from 10:12 AM - 11:11 AM.

Thoughts?

change the power supply first...then make sure where the supply is getting power from, there is not something fishy going on from there. i have installed about 25 of these cams with 12 volt supplies like you...no issue with that on off thing you got...

what brand and model power supply????

Tom12345,

Thanks for your reply.

The power supply is a no-name. It is a 9-output model with a 5A total output. I am only using 5 of the 9 outputs.

I moved the camera in question to another one of the outputs in case there is simply a bad connection on the power grid.

It is odd that this is the ONLY camera acting up. And, until today, the incidences of power going on/off to that camera only occurred on 1 other day, 10/11/11 (albeit 9 times that day).

QUESTION - There is something I must be misunderstanding.

Take a 4-camera scenario of these SCO-2080R cameras. This camera calls for 4A of power supply using 12VDC (per the manual). But, the manual later says it only draws about 6.5 WATTS of power with IR on.

First question -- which of the "power draw" figures above is pertinent for power supply purposes?

The 4-channel 12VDC power supplies on the market (even by brand names like Altronics) only put out about a total of, say, 5-8A.

Question two --How do we reconcile the fact that the SCO-2080R manual calls for 4A from 12VDC for EACH camera, but typical 12VDC power supplies tend to max out at 5-8A TOTAL for a 4-channel power supply?

What am I missing?

In any case, I am NOT convinced this is a power supply problem at all (unless it was that 1 of my 9 power outputs had a bad connection in the PSU). There is ONLY ONE camera exhibiting symptoms like this; it is the camera with the shortest cable run.

Does it ever make it into BW?

Looks like it almost might be the switchover to BW from color.