Jasonpb

Advice changing over to IP based Cameras Samsung SNV-7080R

Hi all,

Been reading through the forum and have learnt a fair bit but after some advice. I currently have 2x CCTV cameras (vandle/dome/IR) connected up to a DVR which I obtained through a friend who owns a security company. Issue I have is he doesn't deal in IP based systems as yet so doesn't really know all that much about them.

I understand how they work on a networking side and will have no issues configuring them, the issue I have is more around product selection and the best way to go about it.

The reason for changing to IP is because I am not totally happy with the picture quality of my current setup, the image is pretty decent overall I guess but it's rather hard to determine a persons face and without that it makes the footage pretty much useless. At night insects are attracted to the IR lights and the DVR (CNB) isn't smart enough to work out it's not a human, turning down the sensitivity results in humans being able to walk around a fair bit without the device logging an event. So I now record 24x7 and it's also set to log an event.

Trying to find IP vandal proof dome cameras with IR isn't all that easy. What's taken my interest so far is 2x Samsung SNV-7080R cameras, one each for the front and rear of my house. I am open to suggestions here on alternatives but I don't really want to exceed the $600US per camera price tag.

My primary requirement is to see clearly roughly 15-20m at night time but I don't want seperate IR lighting, image quality is also essential and the lighting can vary a great deal, reflections from the sun off pavement etc. I would like to be able to view the cameras remotely via web, android and apple phones.

From what I understand the cameras can record onto an SD card or a network store, this is where it gets a little confusing. The cameras appear to do lot of the processing themselves but it's unclear what level of functionality I will have. If you can do pretty much everything I could do on my DVR then I would only need storage for the video to be saved which is taken care of by the FreeNAS box I have running 24x7.

Is NVR software really worth it? I have read about some software that can detect humans, this would be a nice to have feature even if it helped in searching through content.

Advice is much appreciated.

cheers

Jason

Hi all,

Been reading through the forum and have learnt a fair bit but after some advice. I currently have 2x CCTV cameras (vandle/dome/IR) connected up to a DVR which I obtained through a friend who owns a security company. Issue I have is he doesn't deal in IP based systems as yet so doesn't really know all that much about them.

I understand how they work on a networking side and will have no issues configuring them, the issue I have is more around product selection and the best way to go about it.

The reason for changing to IP is because I am not totally happy with the picture quality of my current setup, the image is pretty decent overall I guess but it's rather hard to determine a persons face and without that it makes the footage pretty much useless. At night insects are attracted to the IR lights and the DVR (CNB) isn't smart enough to work out it's not a human, turning down the sensitivity results in humans being able to walk around a fair bit without the device logging an event. So I now record 24x7 and it's also set to log an event.

Trying to find IP vandal proof dome cameras with IR isn't all that easy. What's taken my interest so far is 2x Samsung SNV-7080R cameras, one each for the front and rear of my house. I am open to suggestions here on alternatives but I don't really want to exceed the $600US per camera price tag.

My primary requirement is to see clearly roughly 15-20m at night time but I don't want seperate IR lighting, image quality is also essential and the lighting can vary a great deal, reflections from the sun off pavement etc. I would like to be able to view the cameras remotely via web, android and apple phones.

From what I understand the cameras can record onto an SD card or a network store, this is where it gets a little confusing. The cameras appear to do lot of the processing themselves but it's unclear what level of functionality I will have. If you can do pretty much everything I could do on my DVR then I would only need storage for the video to be saved which is taken care of by the FreeNAS box I have running 24x7.

Is NVR software really worth it? I have read about some software that can detect humans, this would be a nice to have feature even if it helped in searching through content.

Advice is much appreciated.

cheers

Jason

If you are still considering Analog cameras look at speco brand with the light intesifiers. If you are in no light situations they are not for you. But low light situations they work great. No IR's. They take the available light and turn image into a nice color picture.

I have only installed one brand of IP cameras that have light grabber options and that is the IQ invision centinal series. They also work great in low light situations but may be out of your price range depending on if you want Mega Pixel or not.

If you are still considering Analog cameras look at speco brand with the light intesifiers. If you are in no light situations they are not for you. But low light situations they work great. No IR's. They take the available light and turn image into a nice color picture.

I have only installed one brand of IP cameras that have light grabber options and that is the IQ invision centinal series. They also work great in low light situations but may be out of your price range depending on if you want Mega Pixel or not.

I have some Speco Intensifer cameras. I will post some pictures tonight.

Thanks for the advice but analogue cams just aren't up to scratch when it comes to the detail. If I didn't have a rental property next door with the current tennants causing a bunch of issues I would stick with analogue but the situation is becoming pretty crazy and I need to be able to identify them in video (see their faces clearly)

I ended up going with the 2x Samsung SNV-7080R cameras, price was around $1280AUD delivered, ordered them about six hours ago. It's either going to be one very expensive mistake or a great investment, the added functionality alone is telling me I did the right thing will also have one less item turned on now (DVR) my NAS box was always on, same with a PoE switch.

One of my concerns is how decent the Samsung software is, you don't really read much about it on these forums, though I didn't pay anything for it either but then there's the lack of support if I use another companies software, lot of features aren't supported.

Ok quick update since I got around to installing these today, software from Samsung is a pile of rubbish, perhaps I am used to how DVRs operate but nothing appears logical, stuff is just all over the place. Little disappointing I can't stream directly to my NAS from the cameras or the PC (cifs/nfs) but lucky for iscsi, I thought from what I had read that would work and I could use net-i viewer to search for events, but no simply FTP and then you're restricted on quality. Then you have Net-i Ware, why not just focus on one product when the features are so similar, you just end up with two crap products.

Day time pictures are rather amazing compared to my old cctv cameras, night time vision is pretty shocking, I have either got the settings wrong (there's that many to choose from) or it's a bit of false advertising going on. I can see better myself than what the camera sees.

Maybe I made a mistake in purchasing these cameras, will have a play with the settings a bit more and post up some pictures.

Typically the video streams to the computer. The computer dumps any unwanted video and writes the needed video to storage is a nice little data base for easy searching and indexing.

Can you post day and night shots?

Please let me know how the results are with IR on these cameras and what is your suggestions? i am looking into getting this cameras as well. thanks

I think that the idea that you are going to get good IR performance at 50-60' with these cameras is unrealistic. While that is the maximum range, the IR is in a tightly focused beam and that's why if you want better performance you will need external IR.

I have two of the 5080R Samsung cameras, and I use the IR in doorways. It actually works decently for its purpose, which is to record things like my dog waiting at the door, 12' away from the camera.

You aren't going to get good facial recognition with IR though in most cases...

I have just put an Axis P3364-VE in and the performance of it in the evening is quite good... but I am using an Axton illuminator in conjunction with it. Even without the Axton the PQ is pretty acceptable to me with nothing but my garage lights and street lights on. Without the external IR it would struggle when the garage lights are off as it's simply pitch black in my neighborhood at night.

Here's a sample video of the performance of the 5080R with integrated IR, as you can see it does an admirable job providing lighting in a doorway, but it would be worthless if trying to cover a large area;

7JIUx8SSJt8

And here's the same camera with an external IR source;

YuMN8szkhDA

The bottom line is that integrated IR, in the products out there today is nothing but a crutch for installations where external IR is not possible... there's no magic bullet here, although the new Axis cameras that are supposed to have built in IR that has an adjustable beam pattern is probably a step in the right direction.

And here's the Axis P3364-VE with the Axton in basically pitch dark conditions other than itty bitty nights from the neighbor's garages.

Nuut2cFzoJY

Thanks for the videos.

Another question, how does this illuminator gets trigered to turn on at specific time? do you set it up on the illuminator or you attached it to the camera which switches it automaticall when it gets dark?

Thanks for the videos.

Another question, how does this illuminator gets trigered to turn on at specific time? do you set it up on the illuminator or you attached it to the camera which switches it automaticall when it gets dark?

It depends on the model of illuminator. Many budget illuminators have automatic day/night switches. Higher end ones can integrate with a camera and allow the camera to turn it on and off, and even to set the IR intensity.