Soundy

More for the Installation Hall of Shame

Is this a public view monitor or a public nuisance?

[attachment=0]Hall of shame pic.jpg[/attachment]Take note of the orange extension cord powering this disaster.

Colin B

http://www.compatiblecameras.com

Looks to me like they wired the camera directly into the video-in on the flatscreen.

Is that the "illusion of security?" If that video isn't being recorded anywhere, what's the point?

Is this a public view monitor or a public nuisance?

[attachment=0]Hall of shame pic.jpg[/attachment]Take note of the orange extension cord powering this disaster.

Colin B

http://www.compatiblecameras.com

Looks to me like they wired the camera directly into the video-in on the flatscreen.

Is that the "illusion of security?" If that video isn't being recorded anywhere, what's the point?

The point is so you can see how good you look when you walk into the store, nothing more nothing less

We had a recent request to go fix some wiring issues at a school done by a competing company. This company has got some deep pockets and in a very short period of time has amased a large number of techs and the like. At first I was like; I can't compete with this and this area of the world is such low population and spread out over hundreds and hundreds of square miles. I went to visit this school and noticed a newly installed camera on the side where the cable is coming straight out of a hole in the side of a metal sided wall and it goes straight up (maybe 5' or so) to a bullet cam. To make matters worse than this, the cable has no drip loop and the connection between the camera and cable is folded up and zip tied with the white zip ties (not even UV rated) and left completely exposed to the elements.

I asked who did it and they told me as well as the tech who I know is a seasoned tech at the competition. I just sent them a quote for the repair and clean up of the mess so if I get that I'll take a snapshot and post it. Put it this way...when I saw this mess I figured I didn't have too much to worry about as far as competition LOL!

Always interesting to see other peoples work.

I once went in to see a re-install and I criticized the existing install badly to the customer. I later found out it was he that had installed it himself. How embarrassing is that?

Now I try not to criticize other's work as I think it makes ME look unprofessional, however sometimes it is so tempting to burst out laughing. In this forum it's okay. The only time I discuss the existing work is if it is SO FLAKY that I just cannot risk intervening without disrupting the rest of the systems wiring. Then I have to advise the customer that any extra work as a result of the existing wiring being disturbed, is chargeable. You should be able to go in and do work without disturbing the existing wiring.

I want to add that the majority of times I am asked to do fault finding or corrective work, the standard of installion is very good, and it's possible to learn from other people's method of work.

Badmouthing other peoples work to the customer who paid for it never looks good.

We avoid negative words and avoid referring to the original installer, instead focus on what needs to be done to fix it. Instead of "whoever installed this used the wrong zip ties" go with "we need to replace these existing zip ties with UV rated zip so they don't get brittle break off." We simply list out what needs to be done and what the advantage is to doing it this way, not what was done wrong.

When it's done, your work will show the customer how bad the previous installer was.

Here is a "fun" one. I get a customer who purchased everything to do the installation himself complaining that the stands I have given him are crap; that they do not fit ok, that he can not move the camera sideways, bla bla... That it is a pain in the ass to orient the camera. He says that for mounting it he needs to make extra holes because the ones the stand has do not fit ok. Without knowing what he was doing I say ok, go ahead and make it as long as it is on the stand, not on the camera.

When I went to see the install, this is what I found... :facepalm:

185337_1.jpg

I should have asked him if he saw any difference between the way the stand was portrayed on our catalog, and the way he had mounted it.

I think I just wouldn't have said anything... if it wasn't that he had told me earlier those stands were junk because they were not fiting ok, because the cameras could not be moved to the sides easily, and so on... so I had to.

Alright, went back into the archives... sure I've posted these before, but I dunno where...

Got called in to a gas station to assess their setup and install some new cameras. First thing we found were two PTZs and one fixed cam on each side of the pump canopy:

185347_1.jpg

Wiring was hideous:

185347_2.jpg

185347_3.jpg

185347_4.jpg

185347_5.jpg

First PTZ I checked out was filled with water:

185347_6.jpg

185347_7.jpg

The next one wasn't, but didn't appear to be working. Started unwrapping connections to figure out which was power... found this splice between what looked like a power tool cord coming out of the camera, and some solid 18/2 bell wire coming over the edge of the roof.

185347_8.jpg

Checked for 12VDC... nothing. Checked for 24VAC... uh... WAT???

185347_9.jpg

:double-facepalm:

This is the other end of that bell wire, in the C-store ceiling:

185347_10.jpg

And this is a splice in the bell wire, running through a gutter:

185347_11.jpg

Found more fun stuff on the roof:

185347_12.jpg

185347_13.jpg

And finally, the fixed cam... looks like a standard Pelco-type housing, mounted upside-down... except this one has vents:

185349_1.jpg

185349_2.jpg

Obviously had been some water build-up inside:

185349_3.jpg

185349_4.jpg

Fortunately the seal was so poor at the front glass, the water never actually filled the housing... and both cameras still worked!

185349_5.jpg

Oh yeah... I told the owner about the 120V running the camera... he said his brother had put all the cameras in. I told him he's lucky his brother didn't cost him his business.

When we were done, he said his brother wanted the old cameras... to see if he could fix them. Uhhhh... okay man, you have fun with that...

185350_1.jpg

Oh yeah... I told the owner about the 120V running the camera... he said his brother had put all the cameras in. I told him he's lucky his brother didn't cost him his business.

Wow...that is really bad...

When we were done, he said his brother wanted the old cameras... to see if he could fix them. Uhhhh... okay man, you have fun with that...

185350_1.jpg

did you have to upgrade the whole lot then you just see what needed doing and quote, i assume if you quoted it dsid they get you to do the install properly or tell you that they wouldnt spend the dollars

I absolutely love the upside down camera housing with the vent. Of course this is the only way to guarantee that water can get in. I don't often swear but this lot made me so outraged I found myself swearing out loud. I have NEVER seen anything so poorly put together, this install takes the biscuit and I bet his brother charged him a fortune too?

Quite the amazing colors that the PTZ has due to the water, I guess that it one positive way of looking at it...........

I absolutely love the upside down camera housing with the vent. Of course this is the only way to guarantee that water can get in.

I'm sure it was logical to install it vents up if the weather was hot and dry. Best way to vent that excess heat.

I get it, his brother is a trained mechanic and thought it was a watercooled system

and I am guessing that if his brother thinks he can repair them too he's a have a go hero of the worst kind

It's the least he can do, I'll look put for them on ebay then