maalna2

system questions

I need help deciding what system to get. My first question is there a big difference in the Qvis Zues vs. Qvis Apollo? If I get one of those DVR I will probably get the CNB VCM-24VF camera is the a good choice? Or should I just go with the Samsung SME-2220 since it comes with 4 cameras, DVR, HD, and monitor? This would be my first system and it would be used outside. Any insight yall can give me would be very helpful. Thanks

I need help deciding what system to get. My first question is there a big difference in the Qvis Zues vs. Qvis Apollo? If I get one of those DVR I will probably get the CNB VCM-24VF camera is the a good choice? Or should I just go with the Samsung SME-2220 since it comes with 4 cameras, DVR, HD, and monitor? This would be my first system and it would be used outside. Any insight yall can give me would be very helpful. Thanks

Couple of words of advice:

First of all, I would not consider an all-in-one DVR built into the LCD display. My thought is when one of the two parts breaks, you're stuck until you fix it. Buy a separate DVR.

In terms of DVR specs, a lot depends on what you are trying to accomplish. The HUGE difference in terms of usability, is how well remote viewing and remote playback works. Some DVRs, for example, only allow you to use Internet Explorer (ActiveX controls) and have mobile-phone clients that simply do not work. (Hint: read reviews on Amazon dot com)

Note that the two options you talked about for cameras are totally different....the CNB is a color fixed dome, and the Samsung is a bullet night-vision camera.....totally different.

Remember, that dome has no infrared LEDs, so at night you will see nothing at all. Domes are great for places that are lit all the time, but can be tricky outdoors since things like the direct sun of sunrise/sunset will 'blowout' the video due to glare and direct light.

For most low-cost residential installs, what you want is a good-quality color CCD bullet camera...one with infrared night-vision capability, a sun-shade, and a metal (not plastic) housing.

In terms of DVR specs, a lot depends on what you are trying to accomplish. The HUGE difference in terms of usability, is how well remote viewing and remote playback works. Some DVRs, for example, only allow you to use Internet Explorer (ActiveX controls) and have mobile-phone clients that simply do not work.

that rules out 90% of DVRs on the market then. there are no problems with running active x the only problem is using NO name brands you have no support at all.

(Hint: read reviews on Amazon dot com)

dont read reviews on amazon or ebay. most of the time they are by the seller and most of the time they no nothing about cctv JUST sales.

Qvis Zues vs. Qvis Apollo

go for the apollo if your budget allows. along with the CNB VCM-24VF you will have a good system with good mobile and remote viewing

The apollo has more crisp less compressed recordings and it also has an HDMI output. Depending on how many channels you need, it also supports more audio in the 4 and 8 channel versions.

With that being said, the Zeus is still a good one if you are on a budget.

I thought that camera was a true day/night camera. So I thought that meant it really does not need IRs. Am I wrong about that?

that rules out 90% of DVRs on the market then. there are no problems with running active x the only problem is using NO name brands you have no support at all.

Agreed. I don't believe remote viewing is the biggest difference between dvr's. It's the varying features and functions the dvr itself offers that is the best thing to pay close attention to. Not that the remote software shouldn't be considered, or what browsers and platforms are supported- pc/mac. But I think the ability of the dvr itself is all important when comparing.

For most low-cost residential installs, what you want is a good-quality color CCD bullet camera...one with infrared night-vision capability, a sun-shade, and a metal (not plastic) housing.

I'll only add that imo, the camera should be a TDN with IR cut for best results, and varifocal included is excellent too. And there are good ball-dome type cameras too, if bullets don't float your boat.