SecurityNub

HDMI (format not supported)????????

When I hook my DVR up to my HDTV with the HDMI cable, the message that pops up on my TV is "Format not supported." Now beyond the obvious............why is my format not supported? Is there something I can do? Is my question to broad, lol?

Chances are you are using a 720p monitor and the resolution of the DVR is set to higher than that, probably at 1080p or at some different type of resolution that your HDMI input on your TV does not support. What you can do is temporarily hook up the DVR to the monitor using the VGA or Composite output which would allow you to view the menu and lower the resolution on the monitor. You can then lower it until it is visible using the HDMI. Lowering the resolution on the DVR does it every time.

monitor is probably max 1024x768 and the DVR is set to 1280x1024

You need to hook it up to a newer/larger monitor like a 17" and then change the size on the DVR to 1024x768 then hook it back up to the other monitor.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Is there a way I can hook this up to my laptop monitor? I have the HDMI connection and the monitor is 1900-1200, but when I hook them up I see no image. I just don't know how to get the image to come up on my laptop. Can you offer any advice?

Yeah, the HDMI on your laptop is output-only.

Seems to me though, HDMI should be telling the DVR what resolution the monitor supports, and the DVR should be adjusting its output accordingly. Unless the DVR has a lousy HDMI implementation.

run to radio shack and get an RCA cable and get an RCA female to BNC male adapter. Hook it up to your TV's yellow RCA input and you will get a picture. Then you will be able to adjust the resolution lower. You have to adjust the resolution to an equal or lower rez than the parameters that your monitor supports. Or you can get the VGA cable off of your computer monitor and hook it up to your computer monitor. Usually your monitor will auto detect the output resolution of the DVR and adjust accordingly. If that doesnt work, the RCA trick does it everytime.

Thanks everyone.

I just wanted everyone to know that I was on a couple other forums and they were no help. No one responded, no one seemed to care. It seemed as though I had to be in some inner circle that was not talked about in order to get a response from people, and everyone here has been tremendously more helpful than anywhere else I have been.

So did you get it sorted out?

Yes, everything is up and running. The HDMI made things way better than that BNC to RCA. Glad I purchased it. All that is left is to mount this sucker.

It is supposed to be waterproof, and all. Doubtful, but I don't think I will have issues mounting it outside underneath the overhang of my roof so it has a little protection from the snow and rain.

The DVR is weatherproof

HAha , No.

The camera is.

WHEW!!!! Got scurred for a moment there!

PLEASE Help.. I am having the same issue. Tech Support at Swann was a disgrace…

I have tried everything… even bought a new TV that supports high def. didn't work.

For the person who posted about the RCA/BNC Cable.. where do you plug it into the back of the DVR? There is no video out only video in….