googley

Newbie - needs download help for Police

Hi, I recently had a CCTV system fitted to a shop and a local thief has came a stole an outside camera which has been recorded and I want to give the footage to the Police for prosecution - I know its a long shot but worth a go seeing its all recorded. There are 10 cameras in the shop and 2 cameras have recorded footage that I want to download. Its using a H264 system and when I download to the laptop the viewing I want I cant call it back. I have managed to get it onto a DVD and given it to the Police but they rang last night to say that they cant play it. Tried 3 different programs for playback but 2 wont do it and the third does it too fast.

The man who installed the system ripped turned out to be a cowboy and I wont contact him again.

Can anyone help me to get this job done as I have spent 20 hours on it now and just want to cry. I can view it again and again, its says its downloading but I can play it back or find an easy way to put it on DVD. I have tried 3 laptops so doubt its a problem there. Theft took place on 26 December so not sure how long it will stay on the hard drive for (1 TB size)?

The CCTV is internet based so if anyone can advise me I would be so so so so pleased.

Thanks very much

Catherine

The only thing on the DVR is "16 Channel H.264 dvr"

It is internet based as well.

Thanks

Catherine

Hi. do you have any makers name on the dvr or on the viewing software.

can you log on via internet ???

Thanks

Catherine

do you have the IP to log onto your system ???

What format does it save it in? just look to see what the file extension is and let us know.

The suffix on the files is .avc, I have tried to download 2 programs that will play H264 files but the one program speeds it up too fast and the other program wont recognise the files.

Confused, I have loaded the files onto disc for the police but they cant play them either.

What format does it save it in? just look to see what the file extension is and let us know.

Thanks

Catherine

do you have the IP to log onto your system ???

Date needed is 26 December,

Time 14.00 hrs to 15.00 hrs

Cameras 4 and 7 have recordings of the gang involved.

Thanks so much

Catherine

Edited by Guest

Admin/Mods!! Please take that IP down. Anyone could read it and try the generic passwords etc for that system.

I think the OP should only give that IP to installers etc by PM that want to help her. Hope this helps...

EDIT - crisis averted on the IP. Hope Tom or somebody can help you Catherine. Im sure they will come good.

Hi. you have a avtech DVR. i have looked at your footage and you only have 5 seconds of them taking the camera so no point in video. however you can take a snap shot of there face. which is at 14.54 if you cant take the snap PM me and ill do it for you. you have 4 days left before it gets deleted.

were are you based and who fitted your camera 5ft high. the little guy must only be 10-11 and he can reach your cameras.

If you can view the footage, perhaps you should consider a cheap movie maker program and do a screen shot recording while you watch the dvr footage. That will give you a file that you can work with and save as any type you wish.

In fact, try this for still images- while playing the footage do a print screen. Pause the dvr footage at good ID frames and push PrtSc button on the computer keypad. That saves an image to the clip board. Then open a picture program such as photoshop or the like, make a new picture, and paste and the screen shot will dump in making the photo. Then crop the photo to just the drv image with date/time stamp and try not to make the image too large or it will lose sharpness. A bit smaller and clearer is better. With these approaches, you don't really need to convert the file if it's a problem. Best of luck.

Dan

try VLC or AVI Demux .. they can read movies others cant.

In fact I think AVI Demux uses VLC API.

Thanks so much

Catherine

hi. images and converted footage sent. if you have problems let me know.

image1sqp-2.jpg

Thanks so much

Catherine

hi. images and converted footage sent. if you have problems let me know.

image1sqp-1.jpg

Tom,

If this is the UK the OP will need the video stream if the incident direct from the recording as well for original evidence.

Although the image you have grabbed will be great for detection, the stream is the admissible bit that the Police will need to 'seize' (under PACE) as evidence.

Regards

Ilkie

Tom,

If this is the UK the OP will need the video stream if the incident direct from the recording as well for original evidence.

Although the image you have grabbed will be great for detection, the stream is the admissible bit that the Police will need to 'seize' (under PACE) as evidence.

Regards

Ilkie

WOW .. here they would just grab them and beat them on hear say .. then take them to court.

Over here its a completely different game sadly. As above, if its not the original source, it is inadmissable. There is a whole load of red tape associated with our legal system

At present, if somebody were to come onto my property, break into my house and I protected my family by just pushing them down the stairs, if the intruder breaks their arm or something, I can be arrested and taken to court and ordered to pay them compensation.

There is a famous case in the UK of a farmer who shot two people that had broken into his home, he killed one and injured another. He was initially convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison.

The injured intruder three years later was awarded legal aid (state funded aid) in order to sue the farmer for loss of earnings because of the injuries he sustained while attempting to rob the property. The case was eventually thrown out however.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_%28farmer%29

Ilkie

ilkie. have you had a fall or something i speak to you on the phone we have met i view times let me give you another clue ........ Video Forensics we both know danny parks

am going to keep you guessing for a long long long time.

i have the stream but yes there is 2 problems 1 NEEDS player software (to be original) but the main problem which CPS and the solicitors are hot on at the moment is the system is not registered with DPA

At present, if somebody were to come onto my property, break into my house and I protected my family by just pushing them down the stairs, if the intruder breaks their arm or something, I can be arrested and taken to court and ordered to pay them compensation.

uk law was changed 2011. you can protect yourself in your home or small buisness

uk law was changed 2011. you can protect yourself in your home or small buisness

The law was not changed as far as I know. Plans to "provide clarity" to the existing law were spoken of, but there wer no changes to the rule of "use reasonable force". i.e if you shoot an intruder, you will still be arrested. Though gun ownership is still relatively rare in the UK. Plus you cant just have them lying around either, you must store them in a locked police approved storage cabinet. Usually made of steel, and you cant have the key in the same room as the safe. So you cant just grab one quickly

The video above states that they cant think of a single American that ended up in prison for killing an intruder. Over here there are people in prison for just injuring intruders, never mind killing them. It truly is an incrediby stupid situation.

I hope the evidence gathered for the OP is useful and the theives are caught. But then thats a whole different topic of what punishment they will receive. In the US you at least seem to deter criminals, or thats the impression we have over here. Our justice system just hands out Mickey Mouse sentences half of the time.

The law was not changed as far as I know.

you may have known if you deal with CPS or if you make a living collecting footage for court services or if you do any work with DPA.

just in the past 6 months in uk 3 people have not been charged by any court for defending there home or small buisness.

QUOTE" in June, a burglar was stabbed to death and a homeowner arrested. Peter Flanagan, 59, was told last week by the Crown Prosecution Service that he would not face charges because he had acted in self-defence and with reasonable force.

now that is from the court service.

The law was not changed as far as I know. Plans to "provide clarity" to the existing law were spoken of, but there wer no changes to the rule of "use reasonable force". i.e if you shoot an intruder, you will still be arrested. Though gun ownership is still relatively rare in the UK. Plus you cant just have them lying around either, you must store them in a locked police approved storage cabinet. Usually made of steel, and you cant have the key in the same room as the safe. So you cant just grab one quickly

The video above states that they cant think of a single American that ended up in prison for killing an intruder. Over here there are people in prison for just injuring intruders, never mind killing them. It truly is an incrediby stupid situation.

I hope the evidence gathered for the OP is useful and the theives are caught. But then thats a whole different topic of what punishment they will receive. In the US you at least seem to deter criminals, or thats the impression we have over here. Our justice system just hands out Mickey Mouse sentences half of the time.

we have similar laws here but business people with shotguns walk in and out of their store like its nothing. Also home owners seem to be able to shoot intruders and get away with it. Security are unarmed but many hire police as security who then bring along their weapons. Ofcourse its probably a little more violent here though .. murder rate almost doubled last year, 127 in a population of 300,000 - lots of drug or domestic murders though. island only 21x7 miles. country spread out with islands but most the population live on this one island.

I know there have been recent cases of people being exempt from prosecution but I believe this is more a result of the cps taking note of the growing public anger toward a system which appears to favour the criminals rather than any specific change in the law.

I believe Ken Clarke's justice bill adding clarification to existing laws was passed by parliament in November, but Im not aware of any changes to laws, just notes of clarification for existing ones. i.e the use of reasonable force can be undertaken if you perceive a threat, you don't have to wait to be attacked first. I think the bill is still possibly with the house of lords at present.

By way of an update, the thiefs got a visit from the local police who identified them from the photos from the CCTV. They returned to the shop that evening to return the stolen CCTV camera and next day were "invited" to attend the police station for a formal interview. They have been charged and released until the court hearing which is yet to be diarised. Apparently police no longer release you on bail!! We may get some compensation for damages but the police officer doubts that we can reclaim the full cost of repairs, etc.

I did enquire about the data protection act as per some posts but they were not aware of it being used in this area but just in case I have registered now as didnt know about it before.

Now to find a new CCTV engineer to right all the wrongs and a program that I can use to play back the cctv footage on - any recommendations (tried all options but they didnt work neither does Windows media player).

Thanks, at least with the help of Tom it has seen some justice happen.