sika4

DVR advice. Recording CANNABIS plantation Q

Hello. I work in law enforcement.

I am new to this type of thing, although I have some trail-cams.

Situation: I want to be able to set up a covert mini camera on a small cannabis plantation to record who the gardener is.

Following requirements;

1. Small camera lens. The camera itself will have to be small so I can conceal it. There seem to be plenty of option in this area.

2. Wireless or wired. Camera itself can be remotely wired to a DVR device running on a 12V battery that can be buried in the ground or similar.

3. Large storage. I need to be able to leave the device in place for up to a month.

4. Motion detection. I don't have to wade through 4 days of footage just to see the gardener pruning plants for 20 minutes.

5. Low light or moonlight. Is that possible at all? (without IR illumination)

It doesn't need to cost the earth. For intelligence gathering purposes only.

I saw these on Youtube that may work. Any thoughts

1kI0TSSJ11k

Any help appreciated.

Edited by Guest

id probably look at a mini exview BW bullet camera, black housing, about the size of your finger.

Check a brand like KT&C for them as not many making them these days.

http://www.ktnc.co.kr/english/viewtopic.php?t=395

actual model numbers vary on the retail sites, but the 420TVL Exview sees more in low light than the 600TVL model, we use them in night clubs without IR.

But if you want higher quality and to identify them at a distance you will need to get in close, or use something zoomed in, and get a bigger camera, and / or use Megapixel (then need IR as they dont see much in low light). But those normally come in a larger size. Might check Axis for something small in that area. Look for a micro or mini bullet camera, weatherproof ofcourse.

The Recorder - in the ground could likely damage it?

Anyway maybe check any mini 1 channel recorder with SD card.

But they dont record for long normally, and most only save snapshot images.

Otherwise could try a small 12VDC mobile DVR then you will have more options.

Heat of being locked in a box with no air will likely kill it though.

Not sure if any would support Solid State drives at least as the hard drive would be the first to go, if the SSD controllers would work with them?

What about an IP encoder and wireless network transmission?

Then can access and record it somewhere else if you have the wireless capability in that area.

2. Wireless or wired. Camera itself can be remotely wired to a DVR device running on a 12V battery that can be buried in the ground or similar.

3. Large storage. I need to be able to leave the device in place for up to a month.

Your gonna need some mega battery's if you what this to last for a month.

I have some fuel cell options but your looking at 10K for just the fuel cell.

The timeframe is the real killer here - as others have noted, for the power requirements as well as the storage needs. Wireless - at least like the stuff in that video - isn't very reliable, and you'll probably run into quality issues before you get very far from the camera.

You might be better off to consider something at a distance with a long lens to get a closer view, with sufficient total size and power for the time you need to cover, rather than trying to hide something small within the site.

Long distance isnt an option. These things [plots] are concealed by design.

How would these [below] work

http://www.spytechs.com/xtreme-life/xtremelife-hidden-dvr.htm

"With one year of battery life on standby and 20 hours of continuous recording this camera has one of the longest recording times on the market."

Wireless was a thought, I have read there are issues with that system. I can conceal wires to the camera easily enough, we a talking a heavy bush area.

I would "mount" or hide the DVR device in a waterproof box also with external battery, that part is easy, again forest floor environment.

Not that worried about complete night vision as the gardener would most likely prune during the day, or use a lantern at night in any event.

I'm confused as to why the battery life would be an problem. I run a Spypoint trailcam in my gateway that has a 9Ah dry cell battery I charge once a year? How is this scenario different?

Thanks for advice thus far.

Sounds good on paper, especially as it has integrated camera. The trick with video motion detection is, a lot of things could set it off - wind moving the plants, animals passing, birds flying through. I'd suggest something that has either PIR-triggered recording, or an external trigger input that you could use a PIR to start the recording.

I understood "motion detection" to be to record as long as there is motion.

I figured birds, animals would set this off also, but it would stop recording as soon as they left the "frame".

Tree's moving could be an issue [with the wind].

PIR sensors are hard to conceal.

An external trigger to start recording would be an easier/safer option [some sort of beam]. I guess a DVR device that had an "external trigger to record" function would be required.

This has all been done before, just not by me.

I understood "motion detection" to be to record as long as there is motion.

Correct... usually with a couple of seconds' pre- and post-motion recording.

I figured birds, animals would set this off also, but it would stop recording as soon as they left the "frame".

Tree's moving could be an issue [with the wind].

Yep... especially since you're in a forest and monitoring plants, even the slightest breeze would probably trigger it unless you dialed the sensitivity WAY down.

PIR sensors are hard to conceal.

An external trigger to start recording would be an easier/safer option [some sort of beam].

Beam, pressure sensor, tripwire... a number of possible options.

I guess a DVR device that had an "external trigger to record" function would be required.

Yep.

This has all been done before, just not by me.

Apparently none of us here are very experienced with this particular type of covert situation That's okay, we're ALL here to learn

Question: how is this area accessed? What would be the feasibility of one camera on the approach corridor (forestry road? goat trail?) to capture faces and/or plates entering and leaving the area, possibly with another distance-mounted wide-view camera to capture activity in the area, so the "tending" could be correlated to the person or vehicle ID'd? Something like this might better lend itself to not needing everything in one concealed device...

These replies are really good, thanks again.

I have the road covered by a simple "trailcam", 4 in the area actually. Access to this one is by boat however, interesting MO.

The plot itself is what I want to capture. Sure I can recognize the face of the gardener if I 'see' it.

I can get into the area myself once a week if need be, but would prefer to stay away.

So, I will be looking for a DVR with external trigger function. Should be able to find one of those.

The main unit [minus trigger unit and camera itself] I can hide reasonably easily in these areas. Burred in a waterproof container with a battery pack is the norm, seen that much done.

Cheers again for input.

Have ability to bury batteries for sure.

Uint looks like something that would work.

Probably be able to make one cheaper [hopefully, gulp].

Found lots of mini DVRs, lots with external trigger input.

Limiting factor appears to be the size of SD card they will take. Most up to 8GB. Few go to 32GB. I spose with an external trigger that would be plenty.

I figure as long as the PIR or external trigger keeps on being activated it will keep recording.

This one here has a lot of options for inputs.

http://www.ovation.co.uk/miniature-H264-AVC-digital-video-recorder.html

There is just SO many out there it is hard to know where to start.

I'm getting there, slowly.

Edited by Guest

If you can trigger off a PIR, so you can actually limit recording to the presence of a person (or at worst, a fairly large animal), I wouldn't expect you'd need a ton of storage.

You could always use a mobile dvr...then you'd have the option of adding a broadband card with an internet connection and get a real-time feed of when the gardener is on-site. It might allow you to catch him in the act. We use a Servision MVG400 for covert applications extensively, and are pleased with the performance.

Something to consider is gardeners sometimes use surveillance system/alarms to keep an eye on their crop.

Why are you not just using a trailcam for the plot area? Some trailcams can take videos as well. There are also DIY trailcams, you can customize for unit size and higher resolutions, etc.

Since PIR's with trailcams are relatively short range, consider IR beams for triggers. Some have a 300-500 foot range and use 23mah.

If you can trigger off a PIR, so you can actually limit recording to the presence of a person (or at worst, a fairly large animal), I wouldn't expect you'd need a ton of storage.

That's right.

It seems to me that this project is about power, and storage. The camera is easy.

Power is supplied by buried batteries. Other than having to hump them up there on foot, that's not such a big deal (but batteries are HEAVY in a backpack).

If you use the appropriate sensor package, storage won't be a problem, since you won't be filling up your SD card or SSD drive with junk images. Using video-motion-detection is a no-go.

I'd go PIR + recording input.

Another drawback to PIR's is they sense heat differentials (and motion) to trigger, if your scene is well heated, this lowers the sensitivity and detection distance. But if 15-20 feet is adequate trigger distance, PIR's would be fine.

Banks of Li-po's cells are light, small and generally have high mA capacities. (like hobby packs for RC helicopters)

Since you are only interested in daytime action, use a photocell to turn off the system at night for battery longevity.

Mobotix offers a solar powered camera set up which can either store video on an on-board thumb drive or can broadcast via a mesh wireless network. Go to Mobotix.com and check out their solar system; these cameras often don't look like cameras and therefore may be a wise choice, also you can put them anywhere without the need of an environmental housing or contact me and i'll get you with a local Mobo rep