coreyman

Ground Loop in System, DVR has Ground, where to connect?

I'm using an 8 channel LTS dvr and there is a stob on it for a ground, where should I connect this ground? Will it help with my ground loop issue? All cameras on the system have a ground loop problem with lines going through them. I used a single cat5e for every camera, ran power on green and green white, ran video on orange and orangewhite with passive baluns. All the cameras are connected to a single 12V 5A power supply.

I've already ordered some of those but I've read elsewhere that you put them right before the camera, not right before the DVR, so which is correct?

I also read that if you have a ground loop problem on ONE line, it can affect all the other cameras, so you need an isolator on EVERY camera right?

Thank you for your help.

(Also I was wrong about the DVR having a grounding knob... this model does not... but I do have a model that has one... idk what it's for)

Don't waste your money on ground loop isolators ($20 each?!?!) before you try a separate power supply for each camera.

Ground-loop issues with central power supplies, baluns and DC-only cameras are not uncommon, IF the cameras have a shared video and power ground. Isolators SHOULD work, but it's a work-around at best, not a fix.

Grounding the DVR has nothing to do with this issue.

Don't waste your money on ground loop isolators ($20 each?!?!) before you try a separate power supply for each camera.

Ground-loop issues with central power supplies, baluns and DC-only cameras are not uncommon, IF the cameras have a shared video and power ground. Isolators SHOULD work, but it's a work-around at best, not a fix.

Grounding the DVR has nothing to do with this issue.

I can get the isolators for half that price each I'm a dealer. Using a separate power supply for every camera would increase bulk of cabling near the wall and cost me a lot more time rewiring. As it stands now I have wall plates for all the BNC connections with keystones and ONE cable for power coming out of the wall with no keystone, looks a lot better than 8 cables coming out of the wall with no keystone. A separate power supply for 8 cameras would be a nightmare. How is this only a workaround and not a fix?

How is this only a workaround and not a fix?

Because it doesn't address the CAUSE of the problem.

I mean, can you elaborate on that please?

As it stands now I have wall plates for all the BNC connections with keystones and ONE cable for power

is this all you have at the dvr end ?????

Altronix makes a multi output isolated power supply so the install would be just one box. We only use an isolated power supply for our analog cameras and it seems to have eliminated any ground loop problems. I am not a fan of useing 24 ga wire for power but a lot of people do.

As it stands now I have wall plates for all the BNC connections with keystones and ONE cable for power

is this all you have at the dvr end ?????

What else should I have? Inside the wall is 8 cables for power but they are all connected to a screw in terminal that has one cable that comes out the wall to connect to the power supply.

hi. in your posts you mention baluns at camera but at wall end you have a BNC plate via keystones.

were is your dvr balun ??

Here they are, http://www.ebay.com/itm/220817752614?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1908wt_1163

they are inside the wall on the other side of the bnc keystone connected to the cable.

They also do not appear to be 'actual baluns'.

Altronix makes a multi output isolated power supply so the install would be just one box. We only use an isolated power supply for our analog cameras and it seems to have eliminated any ground loop problems. I am not a fan of useing 24 ga wire for power but a lot of people do.

24 ga as in, cat5? Why not? What do you use? Do you run a different cable for power and video?

hi. in your posts you mention baluns at camera but at wall end you have a BNC plate via keystones.

Here they are, http://www.ebay.com/itm/220817752614?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1908wt_1163

they are inside the wall on the other side of the bnc keystone connected to the cable.

Hi. there is your problem you must run baluns at each end you dont have a ground problem you cameras are out of balance.

sorry i dont understand why you have gone though so many connections on each camera (which can also give you problems)

so you have (from wall) BNC then Keystone then cat5 to camera then the ebay connection ????

Hi. there is your problem you must run baluns at each end you dont have a ground problem you cameras are out of balance.

sorry i dont understand why you have gone though so many connections on each camera (which can also give you problems)

so you have (from wall) BNC then Keystone then cat5 to camera then the ebay connection ????

Well the keystone is a F/F BNC so it goes like this

DVR < Premade BNC Cable < BNC Keystone > Ebay Connection > Cat 5 Orange Orange/White > Ebay Connection > Camera

What do you mean the cameras are out of balance, what are these connections good for if I can't use them for less than 150ft connections ?

Hi cat5 is 100ohms so you need baluns at each end to give you 75ohms which is standard for analog cameras so your out of balance

So there is more resistance on the cat5 than on the bnc?

So these connectors are useless? Or can I still use the connectors like this,

DVR > Balun > Cat5 To Wall > Ebay Connection > BNC F/F Keystone < Ebay Connection < Cat5 To Camera < Balun < Camera

that will be 5 connection on each camera

you are best going direct dvr to camera with baluns.

i know you have tried to make your install look good but the less connections you have the better.

i would remove your BNC plate and insert a balun direct to cat5 you can then run rg59 from the balun to dvr and then cover the connection on the wall with a blanking plate

balun_202_angled_dims-2.jpg

that will be 5 connection on each camera

you are best going direct dvr to camera with baluns.

i know you have tried to make your install look good but the less connections you have the better.

i would remove your BNC plate and insert a balun direct to cat5 you can then run rg59 from the balun to dvr and then cover the connection on the wall with a blanking plate

balun_202_angled_dims-1.jpg

Ok well I'm going to try it how I posted in my previous post because it does look good, and if I have problems I will go straight through like you suggested.

Thank you so much for the valuable information.

Ok well I'm going to try it how I posted in my previous post because it does look good,

DVR > Balun > Cat5 To Wall > Ebay Connection > BNC F/F Keystone < Ebay Connection < Cat5 To Camera < Balun < Camera

well see you in a few days when you WILL still have a PROBLEM 6 connections on each camera

Ok well I'm going to try it how I posted in my previous post because it does look good,

well see you in a few days when you WILL still have a PROBLEM 6 connections on each camera

I've done this the same way with regular BNC cable in the past and didn't have any problems out of it. I really do appreciate you helping me.

good balun cost $20-30, you paid .68 cents EA. that your problem. IMHO

these 'baluns' look like the simply convert your BNC (+)&(-) to screw terminals, i highly doubt there is any capacitor under that mold. then you runing the signal over cat5...

good balun cost $20-30, you paid .68 cents EA. that your problem. IMHO

these 'baluns' look like the simply convert your BNC (+)&(-) to screw terminals, i highly doubt there is any capacitor under that mold. then you runing the signal over cat5...

Yes that is the prOblem I did not realize cat5 had a higher resistance.