Juke

CCTV for a school. In over my head. Please HELP! Toronto

Hi

I agreed to install a security system for some overtime pay and because the security of kids are involved and so many options to choose from, I think I'm in over my head.

When I first accepted this work my boss had selected a system and just wanted an install but I quickly found out its for home use. Now I'm stuck.

I'm an IT guy so I dont think I need much help with the network and configuration aspects but I have no idea what equipment to choose.

I really would appreciate any advice and input.

We already an analog system. 1 camera and 1 black/white monitor.

What I've been asked to provide is 8 cameras, hopefully expansion ready for the future. The 8 are for 4 doors, one for each direction of entry and exit.

The system should record during the day and hopefully take snapshots when their is movement but if that is too expensive or not worth it, all time recording is ok.

We need to see peoples faces for childrens security. Web viewing a plus.

I have plenty of PC parts to assemble a nice system for recording. Just need to know which cameras to go for.

I know I should search the forums before posting such a question as I use forums regularly but I am really pressured to deliver fast so I dont want to take any chances.

Thanks in advance. If my question is too long to answer, please PM me and I'll try and spot you at least a pitcher for your time.

Juke

Juke, welcome to our forum!

Typical problems we have seen with school security systems were the wrong selection of the camera equipment. It is a known fact that schools operate on a shoe string budgets, therefore they do not have the money to buy a good equipment. However, after purchasing cheapo products, later they realize that such equipment does not render the results that they expect, therefore they start spending more money to start replacing to better equipment that works.

Lets see your requirements:

You need 8 cameras now with expansion capability - go with 16 channel digital recorder. Since you have a lot of computer and parts, chances are you will be better off to use PC based DVR cards (Rory do you want to jump in?)

Most of the DVRs, regardless if they are embedded or PC based, come with a motion only record capability, therefore your chosen recorder will record when it senses motion...

As for the cameras - we all went to school and remember our hallways, doors and activities. What you need is a camera system that does not wash off the picture when you have to open the entrances by exposing to a lot of light change and then have the picture to degrade at night when there is less of a light... In order to make the correct recommendation, it will help to know if you want to use B&W cameras or color cameras. So, please clarify. Also, give us the approximate distances that you can estimate between the camera placement location and the doors - this way the correct lens will be recommended... The rest of the requirements are easy, the power supplies, the cables, the connectors, the camera mounting hardware, etc...

Levon

Welcome aboard!!!

If you decide to go with a Stand Alone system instead of PC based (which requires more maintenance) There are options for you that won't break your budget.

Like our colleague levon has said, you need to clarify the project so that we may help you in the recommendations, and also, one thing that I can tell you, from EXPERIENCE, is to stick with an established manufacturer, some of those OEM chinnese and Taiwanesse products that look to be too good to be true are exactly just that.

One consideration that I can already tell you is that you need to go with ARMOR domes for the interior, so that kids cannot tamper or easily break them. They do cost a little more, but in the end, they are worth every penny.

Like Levon said motion detection works really good in schools the recordings last for months on end.

We have supplied quite a few schools with Geovision systems & if you have the knowledge & the spare PC bits this is the way to go.

Also totally correct about the vandal resistant domes well worth little bit extra.

3 school districts in our area have Geo based systems, most of them went with a Ganz interior dome or a fixed block camera encased in a Wren globe. Not the absolute best equipment on the market by any means, but works well enough for them to spot Leroy selling crack in the gymnasium...

scottj

Wow guys thank you for the quick replies and friendly welcome.

When I learn all this I'll be sure to come around here and help out!

I should say that this is a Private school so the budget is more flexible and considering the children's safety and myself being responsible, I don't want to cut corners.

Thanks for the info about the Armor domes. Will do.

I think we would prefer color cameras.

About the distances, if you recall most schools have 2 sets of doors for fire safety and especially the weather here in Canada during winters.

The first set of doors from outside and a 5 foot space between them and the next set of doors. I can take pictures if you like.

Currently they have put a B/W camera system between the 2 sets of doors pointing outside to see through the glass of the door. It is almost completely useless as its so bright during the day you think Heaven is behind the door from the monitor. You cant see anything!

Would you suggest I put the camera outside, facing outside?

About the standalone system and DVR, which one requires more maintenance? I didn't understand from the post.

If the difference is nominal, which one would you suggest?

Where would I order the equipment from?

Well, for starters, for the cameras facing outside, you need Wide Dynamic Cameras, and in the Armor Dome territory, you are limited choices, good ones, but expect to pay for them.

If you are looking for maintinance free operation, go with a stand alone, which, I must admit are more reliable than PC based, but with less features.

Juke,

Here are you choices that I can see...

Hi end equipment:

Color Mini-Domes:

1. You can use Panasonic Vandal Proof Surface mount cameras with built in SDIII technology - WV-CW474AS. This camera basically will give you the best light processing capability, so that when you have an instant lighting changes, i.e. open the door and having a flood of light and then next moment, darker or less light...

OR

2. Bosch LTC 1464/21 - not as light sensitive, but a great performer and it is more cost effeictive than Panasonic.

Fixed Cameras with AutoIris Lenses:

1. Pansonic WV-CP484 - SDIII technology and the works.. Need Computar TG2Z3514FCS 3.5-8.0mm AI lens..

OR

2. Bosch LTC 0495/21 comparible hardware with the same lens and is overall more cost effective.

OR

3. Ganz ZC-Y30NH4 Wide Dynamic range camera with the same lens and this combo is even more cost effective than the above choice...

Amount of cables, connectors, type of power supplies and monitor will be determined on number of cameras needed... and it will be very easy to calculate once you can give us this information.

As for DVRs, as Herm stated, embedded are more stable and easier to use, but less features vs. PC based that has more features, but it is a very maintenance extensive and carries typical Windows inherent problems...

My suggestion is to go with embedded system. It is a hastle free and with least amount of problems...

Whatever you purchase, make sure that you get full 3 years warranty and support on all the hardware!

Levon

Wow thank you so much guys! any suppliers in Toronto or Canada for these equipment?

We have few member from Canada that I am sure they will help or you can get everything from U.S and have them shipped to you... If you need a quote, just ask and I am sure several of our member will be happy to give them to you!

Levon

Just got to remember one thing, if you choose to go with BOX type cameras, then you need to also consider what kind of housing you are going to put them in, or your students will take it down real easy.

On the recorded side, how much time are you looking to record? and how many frames per second are you looking at?

If you go PC Based and Geovision, you can get your card from http://www.cctvsentry.com in Kingston, ON as they are an official GEO dealer. Terry is great to deal with.

Hill's TV/Audio in Burlington, ON http://www.hillsvideosystems.com/ is where we get all our other stuff. Bit pricey, but convenient since a 20 minute drive. They also are a dealer for March Networks ( http://www.marchnetworks.com/ ), Panasonic, Sanyo, etc. MN and Panasonic DVR's are very expensive though. Well even the Sanyo DSR-3506 was over $3000 CAD for an end-user last time I checked.

Depends how your space is allocated. Your average standalone may be low-profile, but tends to have a much larger footprint than a PC tower.