Vivotek ip8352 or Acti tcm-1231

Which one , why?

Zohan be more specific. Take Vivotek because it is wite and may produce 60 fps. ))))))))))))))

Zohan what are you trying to solve? Pay attention to the wholl system. Recording, displaing, do you need connectin from internet?

Or you try to find cameras to secure Nucliar Power Plant)))) Than thouse cameras are not for this application.

No, that was a while ago. Maybe a year. Felt cheap (and it is compared to some other cameras). For that matter even some cameras (e.g. CNB BBM-24F) feel cheap, but have some desirable attribute.

These MP cams need to be right though, as the smaller companies may not fix the problem and instead move to a new model. Not getting a reliable stream is a deal breaker on a camera that had been out over a year at the time. Whatever nit there is on an analog I've never had an issue with getting a reliable signal from a reasonably priced analog cam.

Same reason I'll never buy a Linksys router again, they shipped me a product that did not work until I upgraded the firmware. Hours wasted, life is too short.

If you want lots of features, the Vivotek is better, if you want a camera that works, ACTi is better. Vivotek has poor support and service (may take months to get an RMA for a defective camera), their camera quality is inconsistant, their software is buggy. ACTi is more expensive, has great support, rarely come across software bugs (even less than Axis for me).

If you want lots of features, the Vivotek is better, if you want a camera that works, ACTi is better. Vivotek has poor support and service (may take months to get an RMA for a defective camera), their camera quality is inconsistant, their software is buggy. ACTi is more expensive, has great support, rarely come across software bugs (even less than Axis for me).

Thanks....What good is a camera if it is unreliable.....i'm going with acti....plus it has this tool coming out which I cant wait to get...

http://www.acti.com/product/detail/Camera_Installation_Kit/PMON-1001

Seems like the only bad things anyone has said about the tcm-1231 is before it has been set up properly....

Thanks....What good is a camera if it is unreliable.....i'm going with acti....plus it has this tool coming out which I cant wait to get...

http://www.acti.com/product/detail/Camera_Installation_Kit/PMON-1001

Seems like the only bad things anyone has said about the tcm-1231 is before it has been set up properly....

Battery powered wireless router....

Battery powered wireless router....

Yup....but in a nice size and belt case.....

do you have a recommendation for a different one?

Looks like it's an installation aide to allow you to focus, adjust the varifocal lens and point the camera using an IOS device as the display via WiFi. Interesting approach.

Can't you just ue their free app with any WiFi router on that network?

UPDATE - I tried the app, works but only seems to find one camera at a time and out of 6 it found 3 by hitting the search button. So it's designed to work with a network with one camera, meaning to use the WiFi method, you'll need to turn the other ACTi cameras off or have the luck that it found the one you want.

Looks like it's an installation aide to allow you to focus, adjust the varifocal lens and point the camera using an IOS device as the display via WiFi. Interesting approach.

Can't you just ue their free app with any WiFi router on that network?

UPDATE - I tried the app, works but only seems to find one camera at a time and out of 6 it found 3 by hitting the search button. So it's designed to work with a network with one camera, meaning to use the WiFi method, you'll need to turn the other ACTi cameras off or have the luck that it found the one you want.

Hello! I believe there is a small misunderstanding about the usage of the camera installation kit. While being up on the ladder to adjust the camera, you will be connected only to that specific camera through the short Ethernet cable while having WiFi support for the mobile device from the installation kit. Which means, you would first unplug the original Ethernet cable of the surveillance system for the moment of viewing angle adjustment and later plug it back in when done. The other cameras of the system are not influenced at all. There is no need to set up anything - the installation kit will take care of the IP address assignment for the handheld device without changing the IP address of the camera (regardless of the IP and subnet mask of the camera for given installation site).

new_installer1.jpg.cd2632a8851d88c02d8ccc0c3eebac39.jpg

Pretty cool

IP ip is fairly new when it comes to development. It's not fun up on an extension ladder, with the laptop, dome cover, patch cords, tools, ect.

Only a matter of time before the laptop hits the ground.

Here's the problem with that approach, and maybe it's just me. When I install an ACTi camera outdoors, typically mounted against a wall, the back cap is screwed in place with 3-4 screws and the ethernet cable goes through it. If you take off the rear cap, say on a 1231 or 5211E, you may have to move the camera to do it. If I have to plug in a different ethernet cable to point the camera, and then later have to move the camera to plug the permanent cable and screw in the rear cap, I still have to re-point the camera again. I guess the only exception would be a pole mount where you have access all around the camera, but still, I think the camera will shift as you install the rear cap. I think at best, it helps you with focusing and varifocal adjustment on the ladder.

Zohan, I have the ACTi 5211E installed, will let you know how it works out. If you want access, I can do that. Autofocus and zoom makes a big difference, no focusing or setting a varifocal lens on a ladder. All you need to do is mount it and point it. 4MP resolution is nice, very crisp image. Can't wait to see it at night with their noise reduction.

Thanks BW, I appreciate the offer, but I can't use anything more than 1.3 or 2 mp cams as I'm using aver hybrid dvrs...zoom/autofocus would be great though.....you have a good point about the backplate issue

After playing with the 5211, I think the 1231 is a wiser choice. It has some cool features, but the illuminator is only good for 3-6', so it's not like the 1231 that can light up 30-40' out. So to use the 5211 effectively, you woud need decent illuminators. Their reasoning is the power required to run the zoom reduced the power available for the illuminators, a trade off. Then if you really want to use the 18X zoom, you would likely need very powerful illuminators that can reach maybe 50m out. The noise reduction is very good though, much better than the 1231, too bad they don't offer the noise reduction option on the 1231. Also the WDR during the day is much better than the WDR on the 1231. The other thing that made it ineffective for residential use is the lens only goes to 4.7mm for it's widest focal length and I got used to the 3.3 on the 1231 whch gives me the exact view I need. Also the auto-iris is nice during the day, the 1231 is a fixed iris so bright sun can cause glare.

I have another location where I want to test it that may offer a better use case. I'm just not up there for a few days, but it would be cool to have it at Mardi Gras, with the 18X zoom and 4MP.

I find that WDR on the TCM-1231 just reduces contrast that dulls bright objects and brightens dark objects. I think reducing contrast accomplishes the same thing. Frankly, overall, I'm happier with my ACM-1231.