Sign in to follow this  
UnderCover

Pelco and Milestone - can they play nice?

I work safety and security for a large employer - 100 sites, all with between 12 and 80 cameras. Want to transition into Milestone, but looking for a safeguard in case people don't buy in to the new VMS. We want to be able to revert to Pelco IP Client if we choose.

I cannot find an answer for my question....Can a Pelco NVR be used to feed the IP system to Milestone?

Are the pelco NVR's already existing? if not, don't bother with them. buy any off the shelf server to be your NVR and simply put the VMS you choose on it. this way you aren't locked into any proprietary hardware and can swap out the VMS to whatever you need.

So I need a generic NVR/Server that can run both Pelco Sentry NVR Client, and Xprotect Enterprise. Anyone have an NVR they suggest for this setup?

Milestone people can help you specify the minium requirements for the server based on number of cameras, fps and recording time.

Why not move to Milestone completely and drop Pelco NVR?

I say screw both of them and go to Avigilon.

Your users will think your a hero. " title="Applause" />

I havent use Avigilon, whats so good about it vs Milestone or Nice?

http://www.nice.com/video

Very high end (expensive) mass storage solution. I haven't used them in over 5 years so I can't say how they compare to anyone these days, and have only ever used them with analog systems. Avigilion can definitely hold it's own though, every place we've put NICE systems in I would modernize with an Avigilion system in a heart beat. Wouldn't mess with milestone at all.

Avigilion manufacturers it's own MP cameras which are some of the best in the industry, the VMS is hands down the easiest of any I've ever used, searching on it is a breeze, and everything always seems to just work. Very scalable and has apps for mobile use. Also they have 16MP cameras in case you need to identify people from across a stadium (I can verify they work awesome for this). 29MP cameras are out now too. Really, find an Avigilion rep and ask for a demo before you go with NICE or Milestone.

Not to be disrespect able but you don't get out much do you?

I always knew who Avigilon was. Because it was always in the spec and we didn't sell it.

Not to be disrespect able but you don't get out much do you?

I always knew who Avigilon was. Because it was always in the spec and we didn't sell it.

They've only popped up in most areas in the past few years. They haven't exactly been a power player for very long, they're very new on the scene.

Yeah, I had never heard of them before I started seriously getting into IP cams and hanging out here again. Even now, I don't know much about them. If you google Avigilon vs Arecont, who are also not well known outside the industry, you get 10x the page hits for Arecont. The lowly Vivotek? 40x, with a lot of user feedback that's not just press releases.

Add that they've got this secret squirrel thing going on with prices, which makes a lot of people (like me) stop looking due to the assumption the prices will be high and you can't comparison shop, and they just don't have much visibility outside the industry pros.

I'm a hobbyist, and a comparison shopper, so Avigilon just isn't on my radar. I hear their software and gear is fine, but there's little buzz about them around the web, and I have no idea where they fit in the price/performance spectrum.

I suppose I'm not their target market, but who knows?

What kind of solution you have with pelco? Digital Sentry? If so why you think Milestone will be better for you? Use Control Point free software from pelco to integrate your all sites. like 911 made city survialance. find film on youtube or pelco.com site. the digital sentry open solution is very similar to exacq vision sw and it also support onvif and alot of 3ed party ip cameras.