LC475

Question on Video Encoders / CCTV to IP conversion

I am trying to determine whether a video encoder aka video server will do what I want. The site has 24 analog cameras and 3 IP cameras. The DVR card running the analogs went bad. I'd like to just integrate them into the IP system.

On these video servers, does EACH INDIVIDUAL CAMERA have its own separate stream?

Does EACH INDIVIDUAL CAMERA have its own separate IP address and port number?

Can all the cameras be streamed simultaneously?

In other words, if I buy a video encoder with 4 camera inputs, for example this:

http://www.byremote.net/products/specs/240q_specs.shtml

or this:

http://www.ipcamera-store.net/axis-12-channel-video-server-bundle

or this:

http://www.acti.com/product/detail/Video_Encoder/ACD-2200

...when I get it all hooked up and installed will it be as if I have 4 separate IP cameras? Or will it be like having one IP camera with a multiplexed picture in a 2 by 2 grid?

Is this the best way to achieve what I'm wanting, or is there another alternative?

I am trying to determine whether a video encoder aka video server will do what I want. The site has 24 analog cameras and 3 IP cameras. The DVR card running the analogs went bad. I'd like to just integrate them into the IP system.

Hi. for 24 cameras that is going to be a lot of money. have you thought about going hybrid . to run all your cameras

Hi Tom,

What would it be like to "go hybrid"? What does that mean? I just want a solution that won't be horrible. I tried buying IDS Falcon framegrabber cards that convert analog to IP, but because of the way they use the interrupt on the PCI bus, they give terrible frame rates (1 frame per 5 seconds) with 24 cameras hooked up. My thought is that if I get everything on IP, more possibilities will be open to me, and eventually I might find some software that will not stink. Most software I've tried or seen, does. None of them are slick, intuitive, easy, and reliable. Instead, they're ugly, convoluted, and there's no way a non-computer-person will ever be able to use them effortlessly and comfortably.

I looked at Luxriot. Is that what you mean by hybrid?

Because resolution is not crucial for most of these cameras, my plan was to get 8 inputs via two of these for $700 total:

http://securitybestbuy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23_27&products_id=2237

or one of these for $750:

http://www.thenerds.net/VIVOTEK.Vivotek_VS8801_Video_Server.VS8801.html

or whatever I can find that's cheapest.

Then, if each of the channels is truly separate and independent and at D1 resolution, then I can hook up a few old-fashioned multiplexers -- those things are cheap! -- before feeding into the video server, making 6 of the inputs actually a 4-paned grid of 4 cameras at CIF resolution. That's my tentative plan; one of them, anyway. Thus my question as to whether each input functions as a separate IP camera with a separate IP and port, and whether all of them can stream at full resolution all at the same time.

Anyway, again, I just want something that won't stink. Maybe that will be awesome, if possible. I've tried doing it myself, blazing new paths with this IDS Falcon idea, but that failed so badly that I would like someone who has some depth of experience to help me get something set up that will actually work, that we'll actually be happy with. I know that there's many guys here with security businesses and I'm hoping some of you will have the know-how in this area that you can help me out and make some money selling me on your solution. Thanks.

i think all you need is a hybrid. just in encoders alone is going to take you over the cost or a 32 way hybrid.

then you still have the cost of software (that you can find for the geo) and remember if your existing ip are not geo then you will also have a licence cost.

http://uk.surveillance.aver.com/product/hybrid-DVR-SA6832E-RACK

So have you used that Aver box? Is the software clean and fairly intuitive? How much will it cost?

Hi Tom,

What would it be like to "go hybrid"? What does that mean? I just want a solution that won't be horrible. I tried buying IDS Falcon framegrabber cards that convert analog to IP, but because of the way they use the interrupt on the PCI bus, they give terrible frame rates (1 frame per 5 seconds) with 24 cameras hooked up. My thought is that if I get everything on IP, more possibilities will be open to me, and eventually I might find some software that will not stink. Most software I've tried or seen, does. None of them are slick, intuitive, easy, and reliable. Instead, they're ugly, convoluted, and there's no way a non-computer-person will ever be able to use them effortlessly and comfortably.

Because resolution is not crucial for most of these cameras, my plan was to get 8 inputs via two of these for $700 total:

http://securitybestbuy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23_27&products_id=2237

Then, if each of the channels is truly separate and independent and at D1 resolution, then I can hook up a few old-fashioned multiplexers -- those things are cheap! -- before feeding into the video server, making 6 of the inputs actually a 4-paned grid of 4 cameras at CIF resolution. That's my tentative plan; one of them, anyway. Thus my question as to whether each input functions as a separate IP camera with a separate IP and port, and whether all of them can stream at full resolution all at the same time.

Anyway, again, I just want something that won't stink. Maybe that will be awesome, if possible. I've tried doing it myself, blazing new paths with this IDS Falcon idea, but that failed so badly that I would like someone who has some depth of experience to help me get something set up that will actually work, that we'll actually be happy with. I know that there's many guys here with security businesses and I'm hoping some of you will have the know-how in this area that you can help me out and make some money selling me on your solution. Thanks.

Where are u located ?

i think all you need is a hybrid. just in encoders alone is going to take you over the cost or a 32 way hybrid.

then you still have the cost of software (that you can find for the geo) and remember if your existing ip are not geo then you will also have a licence cost.

http://uk.surveillance.aver.com/product/hybrid-DVR-SA6832E-RACK

So have you used that Aver box? Is the software clean and fairly intuitive? How much will it cost?

yes we have many of the 32 ways out. the good thing about it is you can change your existing analog to IP when the fail in the future. and replace with 1.3-2 or even 5mp with no licence costs

So is the software good? How would it compare to Nuuo, which is about the only one I've seen that's any good?

Can the streams be viewed in just a pure browser as generic motion jpeg streams, or is an activeX plugin required? If so, if there's an IP address I can type in like http://1.1.1.1:1111/aversql/cgi-bin/faststream.jpg , then that's just as good as converted to IP, in my mind. They are essentially all generic IP cameras at that point. Does Aver's software do that?

Are Aver's iViewer and AndroidViewer free, or cost extra?

So is the software good? How would it compare to Nuuo, which is about the only one I've seen that's any good?

much better than the Nuuo.

if there's an IP address I can type in like http://1.1.1.1:1111/aversql/cgi-bin/faststream.jpg , then that's just as good as converted to IP, in my mind. They are essentially all generic IP cameras at that point. Does Aver's software do that?

if you mean to get your ip stream to the aver. then all you do is add ip cam address android iphone BB all free

what make are your existing IP cameras.

if there's an IP address I can type in like http://1.1.1.1:1111/aversql/cgi-bin/faststream.jpg , then that's just as good as converted to IP, in my mind. They are essentially all generic IP cameras at that point. Does Aver's software do that?

if you mean to get your ip stream to the aver. then all you do is add ip cam address

No, I mean from any random computer browser can I see the IP stream?

android iphone BB all free
That's good.

what make are your existing IP cameras.
Mobotix.

I mean from any random computer browser can I see the IP stream?

yes you will get all your cameras

Mobotix.

mobotix Q24 D24 M12D M24 just pick from drop down box on NVR to configure

Hi Tom,

Where are u located ?

Does anyone else see where this one is going?

Thank you everyone for your help. I feel like I am finally on the right track to get something that will work in a good and satisfying manner.

If anyone else has any other ideas, please keep posting here! I am open to any suggestions.

It's almost like their afraid to say it out loud.

Enlighten us.

It's almost like their afraid to say it out loud.

You can do this with encoders and VMS software for a lot less if you don't use Axis encoders. PM me a I can get you pricing.

THe M7010 is quite cheap of Axis. And if you want 30 IPS you can always take a P7210, which is a tad more expensive but always cheaper then a rack of Q74XX.

And to the original question wether they have their individual IP's. That fully depends on the encoder.

For example. An Axis 241Q has 1 IP but 4 camera's where as an Axis Q7404 has 4 IP adresses with 4 camera's.

You can do this with encoders and VMS software for a lot less if you don't use Axis encoders. PM me a I can get you pricing.

THe M7010 is quite cheap of Axis. And if you want 30 IPS you can always take a P7210, which is a tad more expensive but always cheaper then a rack of Q74XX.

And to the original question wether they have their individual IP's. That fully depends on the encoder.

For example. An Axis 241Q has 1 IP but 4 camera's where as an Axis Q7404 has 4 IP adresses with 4 camera's.

Avigilon encoders are by far cheaper then Axis encoders and they are full D1 30FPS all channels.

Avigilon encoders are by far cheaper then Axis encoders and they are full D1 30FPS all channels.

But only work with Avigilon software ? You're binding yourself to the Avigilon VMS, whereas Axis is widely supported.

Ofcourse, that comes back in the price.

But only work with Avigilon software ? You're binding yourself to the Avigilon VMS, whereas Axis is widely supported.

Ofcourse, that comes back in the price.

A) using Avigilon VMS is not a bad thing

b) there encoders are Onvif and work with other VMS

c) show me a encoder with a better image then Aviglion's and I buy you a beer

+1 on the Avigilon Encoders. They work like a champ. I have 3 domes, a PTZ and 2 alarm inputs coming in on one and love it.