videoVIP

Single-Channel DVR?

Anyone know of a single-channel DVR? Looking for something with a hard-drive (not an NVR) and fanless if possible.

Those first 2 you linked I have tried. They werent very good. You would be much better buying a cheap VGA IP camera with built in SD storage. or like I said, 4 ch DVR. Or Soundy's favorite, A Flip.

I do use the first one quite a bit, I know it by the name KD208.

http://www.securame.com/grabador-mdvr-kd208-1ch-704x576-30fps-sd-deteccion-de-movimiento-p-927.html

But it is with SD recording, no hard drive. I do not think I know of any 1ch DVR with HD support. That one is ok, it has motion detection with areas/sensitivity, supports 32Gb SD, 704x576 with different frame rates. But we do not really use it for CCTV, but mainly for vandalism, concealed recording, etc. If someone is looking for a 24h/day recording solution in the long term, I would not recommend this one.

This one is ok maybe for 1 camera recording on a car (taxi, delivery truck, etc); for puting a hidden camera in a car when it is being vandalized; for installing a hidden camera somewhere when you are trying to find out who is stealing from you or doing whatever, etc. For something closer to CCTV, it would be better an IP camera with SD recording, or with recording to a NAS.

Can you plug a monitor directly in to an IP cam or NAS? No. Can you review, rewind, copy files from an IP cam or SD card without a PC? No. I need a self contained unit with one channel that the client can operate without a PC.

You can use our iCVR Encoder as a single channel DVR.

Options up to 500GB storage. PoE, 24VAC, 12VDC.

http://www.videoiq.com/products/iCVR-Encoders

Depending on what you want to use it for, it might be more expensive than a small 4 channel DVR-only device, but it is a fairly small form-factor, and you can utilize the on-board analytics in a number of ways that may be of benefit to you.

EDIT: nevermind in this case, I see that you're looking for a completely stand-alone unit.

Can you plug a monitor directly in to an IP cam or NAS?

Some NAS units... yes.

Can you review, rewind, copy files from an IP cam or SD card without a PC? No. I need a self contained unit with one channel that the client can operate without a PC.

Why didn't you state that in the first place?

Why can't the client just pop out the SD card and plug it into a laptop (almost all of them have SD slots now)?

Why can't it be a four-channel? Why can't the other three channels just sit idle?

Hmmm, single-channel recorder, completely self-contained, no PC required, just plug in a monitor and review? Got it:

188619_1.jpg

Why didn't I state that in the first place? I said single channel DVR with hard-drive that isn't an NVR, no?

Pop the SD card into a PC? Client doesn't't own a PC. Should I sell him one?

Come to think of it... my boss has just such a thing, I totally forgot about it. He used to use it with a camera on his ski boat... we've also used it for a couple of temporary covert installs:

http://www.cctvvideo.com/pvr-g20.html

188621_1.jpg

The worlds smallest Digital Video Recorder with built in LCD Display. It small size allows you to take the DVR anywhere, and it's perfect for covert operations. At only 5.1 X 3.3 X 1.3 and 12.3 ounces, it is significantly smaller and lighter than the old mobile Time Laps Recorders which fits into the palm of your hand. It records near-DVD quality MPEG-4 video and high quality stereo audio when connected to any standard video and audio source. Rugged case has a built-in 3.5 inch back lighted TFT LCD display for easy camera set-up and playback of recorded video, along with convenient analog video/audio inputs and outputs for easy connection to any standard video camera and any standard video monitor for external playback. This DVR come with USB 2.0 connection which allows you to connect your DVR to any PC with USB ports for easy access to the DVR. It records using the industry standard MPEG4 Codec. Easy on-screen menus and the RealONE embedded software make set-up and operation easy. It allows you to operates for up to 4 hours of video playback using the rechargeable lithium-ion battery, or using the power supplies which it comes with.

FEATURES:

Worlds smallest hard-drive based digital video recorder!

Only 12.3 ounces!

Dimensions: 5.1 X 3.3 X 1.3

40 gigabyte hard drive records up to 80 hours of video and audio

Built-in 3.5 inch backlighted TFT LCD display for easy camera set-up and playback of video

Convenient analog video/audio inputs and outputs

High-speed USB 2.0 computer connection for easy downloading or uploading of video files

Records using the industry standard MPEG4 Codec

Easy on-screen menus and the RealONE embedded software

Operates for up to 4 hours of video playback from the included rechargeable lithium-ion battery

Why didn't I state that in the first place? I said single channel DVR with hard-drive that isn't an NVR, no?

The more detail you give, the more we can help. Sometimes it's good to know WHY specific criteria are given.

More to the point, it's often more useful to know what the actual end result is, because there may be other ways to get there that you haven't thought of. Do they want covert, do they just want small? Do they want easy-to-operate? You could have said up-front, "Client doesn't have a PC and doesn't want to get one just for this" and that would have negated a lot of the responses right off.

You can never give too much information.

I was very specific in my request and know what I need for my client's situation. No need to re-invent the wheel at this time.

Well then, there you go - see three posts above. Single-channel analog DVR. You didn't list a built-in screen, but I'll assume that's not a deal-breaker.

Was easy to find, BTW... just google "mini video recorder with built in monitor". Actually, the first hit is a "spy store" with a TON of these type of devices, even one designed to look like a cel phone.

sanyo used to sell them. you might still find someone who has stock left. Sanyo DSR-M810H240.

sanyo/ everfocus/ pano all used to sell single channel ....... but like soundy says they found out it was just better to sell 4 ways and not use 3 channels.

plus for some silly reason a single channel from both sanyo and everfocus were stupid money $900.

we've also used it for a couple of temporary covert installs:

in the uk PV-1000 is used by many people as a single channel dvr. link out for use of a bigger monitor

188625_1.jpg

Client doesn't't own a PC. Should I sell him one?

Yes, he'll thank you for it.

It would be the sane as handing my cat a can of food and a can opener. Maybe I should enroll the client in computer classes too?

Time to drag him kicking and screaming into the 90s?

Well...I think he's going to turn 90 on his own pretty soon...just hope he lives long enough to pay the bill.

Seriously though, funny thing is that Soundy's recommendation of a VCR may not be a bad idea. We have several older "non-tech orientated" customers who prefer to use a time lapse VCR just because they feel more comfortable with it as it is more familiar to them. Even though you tell them that a DVR would be easier to use, they prefer to use a VCR because the concept of pushing a RW and FF button is more familiar to them.

Can you plug a monitor directly in to an IP cam or NAS? No. Can you review, rewind, copy files from an IP cam or SD card without a PC? No. I need a self contained unit with one channel that the client can operate without a PC.

you're asking for help, for free.

i'd be a bit more polite if i were you. i'm amazed people are continuing to help you.