Guest alopu

Recomendation - "jetting" free standalone

Hi, Will be grateful for recomendations - 8, 16 ports sdandalones recording with high D1 or 4 CIF resolution but without horizontal lines if fast moving object camera see. MPEG4 or h.264 compression.

Thanks in advance

h.264 is not some kind of MPEG4 - althouht both are not full frame compress. type (like JPEG, etc).

MPEG4 comes from MPEG Standards - ISO/IEC 14496-2 and can not recognize for example periodic motion while h.264 comes from Joint ITU-T/MPEG Standards - ISO/IEC 14496-10(sometimes called MPEG4 AVC) and has much mor efficient compression - up to 30% comparing to regular MPEG4.

This difference is very important for remote video streaming with limited bandwith.

Any brand name DVR will be 720x480 or similar, only the cheap DVRs play the CIF and D1 games.

Anyway, check out HikVision, they have H.264 Stand Alones.

Most of the real decent stand alones are still using Wavelet or MJpeg and now branching into Mpeg4 .. a little behind the PC based but still solid units.

Also, dont you mean MPEG4 ASP?

Hi Rory - please take a look in specifications of standalone brand names like Bosh, Siemens, etc. All they can RECORD with only 2CIF resolution (704x288 PAL, 640x240 NTSC). Hikvision and others too. I can not to find standalones RECORDING - not displaying - in 4CIF or D1.

For your information - D1 is even better comparing to 4CIF. In PAL D1 is 768 or 720x576 while 4CIF it is only 704x576.

Here you have a little informations about MPEG like compressions:

What is MPEG-4?

MPEG-4 (ISO 14496) is a broad Open Standard developed by the Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG), a working group of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) which also did the well known MPEG-1 (MP3, VCD) and MPEG-2 (DVD, SVCD) Standards, standardizing all sorts of audio/video compression formats and much more

By its nature the MPEG-4 Standard doesnt aim at standardizing one potential product (eg something comparable to DVD) but covers a broad range of Sub-Standards, which Product Providers can choose from to follow, according to what they need for their product

The MPEG-4 Standard, as mentioned, is divided into many different sub-standards:

- ISO 14496-1 (Systems), Animation/Interactivity (like DVD Menus)

- ISO 14496-2 (Video), e.g. Advanced Simple Profile (ASP),

- ISO 14496-3 (Audio), Advanced Audio Coding (AAC)

- ISO 14496-10 (Video), Advanced Video Coding (AVC), also known as H.264

- ISO 14496-14 (Container), MP4 container format (uses the .mp4 extension)

- ISO 14496-17 (Subtitles), MPEG-4 Timed Text subtitle format

GE DVRs do 720x480 recording and display.

And yes, I have a ton of info on all compression methods, thanks.

GE makes like others. They wite - Video resolution 720x480 and dont specify they mean displaying or recording. Much more cheaper standalones has 4CIF displaying. The only way is to have GE standalone or theirs user manual and check it out - is it possible to choose 720x480 recording resolution option or not in recording setup menu. Can somebody check it out please?

Yes you can use High, Medium, or Low. 720x484 is the high recording. I know, have used them for 5 years, and the quality (and features) blows away all others I have used, they are worth every penny. They are switching from Wavelet to Mpeg4 now, and already have some units out with their own WaveJet compression.

Thanks again Rory. Miriak looks interesting. Lets wait what they will send (prices, detailed parameters). But I`m afraid it will be another story like - 4CIF recording - yes - but only from 1/4 video ports at the same time. I have dozens this kind offers. But maybe not this time?

h.264 is not some kind of MPEG4 - althouht both are not full frame compress. type (like JPEG, etc).

MPEG4 comes from MPEG Standards - ISO/IEC 14496-2 and can not recognize for example periodic motion while h.264 comes from Joint ITU-T/MPEG Standards - ISO/IEC 14496-10(sometimes called MPEG4 AVC) and has much mor efficient compression - up to 30% comparing to regular MPEG4.

This difference is very important for remote video streaming with limited bandwith.

Yes h.264 is pretty much a sooped up upgrade of mpeg-4. It isnot just a "form" of mpeg-4. But it usess the same basics in image interpretatio and identifying picture redundancy.

You are right the standard mpeg-4 is not as good as h.264. While windows 95 is not as good as windows 2000 but its still windows. Catch that? (analogy, not suppose to have a connection in topics)

And you are right again on the bandwith. But its still an mpeg-4 to its core.

I may not be right on alot of things in life, but computers and computer engineering (degree) is what I know inside and out (literally and figuratively).

H.264 is also referred to as Mpeg-4 Part 10.

Hi jisaacmagee

So we went to the same conslusion - right? Good standalone should have h.264 compression which is better for local storage and for transmition (no need recompress technology - brand names makes local storage - Wavelet - and recompresion to mpeg for better transmition).

By the way - anyone hear about new law (in UK for example) which require full frame compress systems (JPEG, Wavelet) to be a real proof for police?One of our client told me about this - and he does not to want to hear about mpeg like compress systems?

For Rory - MIRAK makes crapy systems. CIF recording only. Two days they tried to prove me they have D1 recording - and they give up after I showed them in theirs manuals - it is not D1 recording resolution option.

But finnaly I have found good standalones - 4 CIF recording, without jettings with MPEG4, h.264 and what important with JPEG2000 compression.

All good and chineese - so prices - 1/3 of GE.

But finnaly I have found good standalones - 4 CIF recording, without jettings with MPEG4, h.264 and what important with JPEG2000 compression.

All good and chineese - so prices - 1/3 of GE.

Got links to these products? I would like to take a look.

Thanks

Me too, id like to also check out the network software, purchase requirements, and the warranty ..

Seriously though let us know if you have a link, if its decent its worth looking at. What was the issue with the other H.264 one again?

Hi,

For 8 port standalones h.264 live recording in D1 ask http://www.dahuatech.com for DH-DVR0804HB model. Superb picture quality.

For MPEG4 DVRs check new models on http://www.artnix.co.kr/ and http://www.everfocus.com.cn/

For JPEG2000 - very good price outstanding picture quality koreans http://www.arguscctv.com/pro/products_01_eng.htm (2 CIF recording)

Rory - what do you mean? - What was the issue with the other H.264 one again?

Come on,

ARGUS is the same crap as Intellicam DVR'S. They call it GV-NET. Another company has it out there by the name of Digital Watchdog. the live picture quality is pretty good, but the recording is crap, and good luck using it remotely, uses the same OEM remote software that most cheap taiwanesse DVR Manuf's are using.

Everfocus? read other post by other members so that you can see.

I don't know anything about dahuatech other than they where a medium level manufaturer of telecommunication products back in the 80's, and the company failed miserably after some main telephone switches failed and some countries in latin america where basically without phone service for a couple of days.

Although h.264 live recording sounds very very tempting to try out.

Hi,

As I wrote - check theirs (Argus, Everfocus) NEW products. I sow recordings quality from new Argus JPEG2000 (not ordinary JPEG) - good - believe me. Similar -I sow picture from new released (last month) 1640 Evefous (unfortunately jetted video in D1 but in 2 CIF - OK).

The same with dahuatech.

It is simple to ask them for examples of recorded video.

I agree - all above - forget about advanced networking - but for many clients - good enought.

HEY Alopu the DVR at ADOME.net you referred to a few posts back is a HIKVISION or Vendoma DVR and those people are scums do not buy anything from them.

This is an Avtech dvr. What's that good about it except for the specs?

Do you have an online demo? Cuase it's not an easy task to get it from the manufacturer...

CPCam says "they are AVtech", yet when you talk to another distributor selling AvTech, they say the same thing. Somewhere between them lies the truth (overseas). It's rather ironic that you can get the same unit cheaper from a reseller than you can from the manufacturer, especially buying in volume.

I may just contact Kathie Lee Gifford and see if she owns any shops in China that make DVR's....haha

scottj