luxury1

Home Camera System - $3000 USD

I just found this forum today and LOVE it! You guys really know your stuff!

So I am building a 3,000 sq ft house in Pittsburgh, PA and plan to purchase a 4 camera outdoor system to keep an eye on the entrances. Here is what I was thinking:

4 dome black & white outdoor fixed cameras with brick wall mounts (preferably gooseneck type design or the like)

DVR recording device

One flat panel monitor (15â€

$3k is plenty. Buy decent siamese cable or CAT5 cable and have the telephone guy run the cable when he runs the telephone wires. slip him $50 a run/cable drop or work a better deal. Since it is new construction it is easy money for any installer. make sure the installer observes the seperation rules of video cables and power cables. 1ft. min. when running along and 4 to 12 inch on crossings. use fire calk to fill your holes.

consider your future camera installs; buy a 8 channel vice 4. install several video cable to support 8 camera's and only install 4 now and later???? make sure you run a CAT5 from the DVR location to the DSL box location so that you are ready to connect to the internet. also consider running window and door alarm wires........do it now and save later.

consider modulating the DVR video output into your cable system so that you can view the camera's from any TV in the house. again, new construction is easier now than later.

lots of info here so read and ask. if your lighting is good then DO NOT waste your money on IR bullets. Buy a couple outdoor domes with varifocal, 480 tvl, low light capable, with exview chips.

DVR is the backbone so I would DEMO out quite a few before you make a decision.

Don't rush on the camera's and DVR right now. read a bit and ask. get the cables in first and make sure you focus on any cable improvements now.....

Thanks for the help!

I know some of these questions are basic but here they go:

Do outdoor cameras need power? If so, do I have a regular outlet installed where the camera is?

What is the difference between CAT5 and siamese cables?

What brand of outdoor domes do you recommend (given that I only need fixed, b/w). Is there a specific model you would go with?

Also, do you have a DVR brand/model you might recommend for this given the budget amount?

Is there a detailed list of items that will be needed?

Are there any good turnkey systems for this price range?

Besides the cable runs, is this a do it yourself project or should I have this done professionally? I am not exactly a guru at anything like this but can usually figure things out if I take the time.

Do outdoor cameras need power? Yes. Siamses cable is comprised of 2 cable types. (1) is the RG-59 and the other is a pair of wire, 18 guage, which is what you use to power the camera's from a central location in your house. If so, do I have a regular outlet installed where the camera is? you do not need outlets at the camera if you use siamese cable.

What is the difference between CAT5 and siamese cables? CAT5 is 4 pair data cable in one cable. each pair can be used to complete a circuit, video or voltage (24 VAC or 12VDC). ie. one camera will require 2 pair on CAT5. Pair one for video and pair 2 for power.

What brand of outdoor domes do you recommend (given that I only need fixed, b/w). Is there a specific model you would go with? many to choose from. I use many different suppliers. I can PM you the details if you wish.

Also, do you have a DVR brand/model you might recommend for this given the budget amount? dito.....

Is there a detailed list of items that will be needed? Yes

- (1) DVR, 8 channel

- (4) camera's

- either RG-58 (siamese) cable or CAT5 cable. if you go RG-58 make sure you get decent stuff. Spytown is my choice when they have free shipping, then I buy bulk.

- (1) 8 camera power supply. 24VAC or 12 VDC....make sure you camera's match the power supply you buy.

- if you install CAT5 you will need (8) passive (no power required) video baluns, 2 for each circuit. I use TGP001, Twisted Pair Ground Loop Isolation Video Balun ($31.00ea), from ming@foresight-cctv.com they are a Canada Company but very good. Grund loop can kick your butt so i started to use built in ground loop isolators in my baluns to play it smart.

- (1) APC or UPS.........battery back-up surge protection. I recommend atleast a 750 or higher.

Are there any good turnkey systems for this price range? I'd stay away from "turn-key" systems unless you are smart to the parts used or find a good supplier.........many here on this site but some won't sell, they just sell & install..............like myself.

Besides the cable runs, is this a do it yourself project or should I have this done professionally. My first reaction is to tell you to have somone do it but you will need to budget 4500 - 6000 for this if you do. It is not that hard to buy and install, kinda fun....but that's just me. You may not like it?

- Let's start with the cable & power supply. How long is your longest camera length? If it is 200ft. or less you can safely go with Siames cable. Power Supply; 12VDC If 200 - 500ft I'd go with CAT5 and a 24VAC Power Supply. If 500ft - 900ft I'd go CAT5 and a 28VAC Power Supply. Beyond that I'd go with CAT5, 28VAC, and active baluns (power required).

Camera's and DVR.......contact Nick Ciancarelli, Sales Engineer, Digital WatchGuard, Inc. www.digitalwatchguard.com, *******ph x***,

******), tell him Kerry sen you. Nick had a deal on the Nuvio DVR's and can help you select the right Camera. Don't get stuck on just one camera....each "view" is different and may require different camera types. After "Nick" gives you a shopping list send me a PM and I'll double check them for you to make sure the deal is sweet. Remember, your not in any hurry to buy. Get the cable installed and then you can work on it from there. Take your time, compare, and then buy.

No, I don't get anything for this. I install what I sell.....just in case someone out there thinks otherwise.

Oh, my opinion on cable and power supplies is mine and not supported by documented specs.(specs push the equipment farther than I like to trust)......just my way of ensuring a good signal everytime.

send me a PM and we'll go from there. You can then post your "findings" when you make your move.

[/url]

I would also recommend the NUVICO DVR'S. we stock them in all configurations and have live demo sites you can see the DVR in action. There is now a version that has the CD writer built in as well. I can also further assist you with proper camera selection . Please feel free to call ******** and you can ask for me, Howard .Here is a link for the Nuvico live DVR:

http://q005f80.dvrhost.com:7777/

We, admin and mods, are going to have to all be in agreement as to what is allowed and what is not.

If you look at VST_Mans post above he has phone numbers listed there too. We need to be consistant, to be fair to all members, and keep this forum focused on helping people with their questions.

I do not want to trash this thread by discussing it here so I'll create a moderators forum so we can do it there.

difference is I am listing/recommending at NO profit or gain and I made it very clear that my info was my opinion.

Spytown? I've busted on Spytown in a few threads based on real life stuff, and I've said some good things. If this "Spytown" wants to jump in and try to make things right.....so be it. But I am sure that others here may want Spytown to remain in a bad light so that they can profit? may, maybe not.but, who really cares outside the bankrollers.

you can make rules that keep us from doing all sorts of exchanging of information to the point that almost everything will "offend" someone. ....and then you'll have a huge mess of posts pointing fingers at violators who did this and that............

this forum should remain open so that the exchange of idea's and information is flowing. This forum is NOT a hunting ground for customers, it is not owned by one set of ideals, it is a place to exchange information. If there is anybody out there that feels phone numbers are bad for the forum, the complainers that is, I'd suggest that THEY may have an adgenda themselves?

I'm not affraid of competing, I do not care who lists phone numbers, web sites, or suggests specific camera's. That's why this forum is here.

ok, my flak is on, fire for effect

ps...too late...it's trashed

Honestly with all opinions respected here....This forum to me personally is not a hunting ground for customers as much as it is a customers hunting grounds for Dealers...Right?

Obviously most people that answer the technical questions in here are not hobbyist, mainly Dealers/Installers who base their opinions and expertise from experience. I really see no problem with phone numbers although I have never posted mine that I can recall. I like helping people with projects because it interest me, and if it turns out that I get some business from it...BONUS. I think in reality it is a pretty fair trade.

scottj

Edited by Guest

haha, so true Rory. You should change your title from FOunding Member to something like "Permanent Fixture".

scottj

My thoughts are that Ph Numbers do not need to appear, if something goes wrong or things are said or things are done it is cleaner to not associate any persons number with these posts.

Obviously everybody has been recieveing PM's with people trying to sell stuff, so let that happen, it is just as easy to PM someone as it is to post, so lets keep it private and keep this forum clean from advertisement.

I Think the idea of phone numbers listed is only positive. if you think about it, everyone lists web addresses . So if people go to that web site, they will see that phone number anyway. Should you then restict web-site info as well?

I am not saying I am right but imagine if I made a negative remark, pretended to be someone else by using a dummy username and listed a PH number of the person I wanted to pretend to be.

I think websites are a completely different situation, I can see advantages both ways but I must say it is not hard to PM and why does every person in the world need to see your number when you can make it private.

I can only assume that people who want their numbers to appear are not merely trying to assist one person or they would PM that person, therefore it is more an advertisement than an assistance and I do not think this is why this forum exists in the first place but like I mentioned I can see both sides of the decision being positive.

Guys, the no phone number rule was kinda put in place back in 2003, when the forum was first published, it just wasn't really "written" in. The thing is that this forum has EXPLODED withinn the last 6-8 months now, and little things like this are now coming into play.

So, to end the subject, please, no phone numbers on the public forum. on the dealer section, that's a different story.

hermin