I have often found it would be faster and more convenient to have a wifi connection to client's routers when connecting up DVRs, well now the Apollo range and a some others are starting to offer it as an option, has anyone tried the wifi connection DVRs and are they reliable?

I haven't seen the Apollo range but we did some tests with a £50 Netgear Universal Wi-Fi adaptor yesterday and thats working great, decent frame rate and image quality, ptz control etc is flawless.

It is a credit card sized box (designed for Smart TVs & Blueray) with an ethernet port and short patch cable supplied. It can be powered via the supplied power unit, or via USB which is how we used it, our dvr usb port runs it no problem.

It simply plugs into the DVRs ethernet port and connects to the wi-fi network, if you have a Netgear router you can use its WPS button, for other routers it has to be configured using a laptop before deploying.

Col

WiFi isn't usually as safe as a wired connection... Security is all about uptime and not loosing any connections! just my $0.02

WiFi isn't usually as safe as a wired connection... Security is all about uptime and not loosing any connections! just my $0.02

Except in this case, if the connection goes down, all he's losing is the remote viewing. The DVR is still recording.

Except in this case, if the connection goes down, all he's losing is the remote viewing. The DVR is still recording.

Any opinions are welcome, it's useful to hear all arguments for and against.

I haven't seen the Apollo range but we did some tests with a £50 Netgear Universal Wi-Fi adaptor yesterday and thats working great, decent frame rate and image quality, ptz control etc is flawless.

I just recently got an Iogear adapter that is very similar but I cant get it to work on the DVR. I got it to work with my laptop but cant seem to access the DVR. Was there anything special you had to do?

I have often found it would be faster and more convenient to have a wifi connection to client's routers when connecting up DVRs, well now the Apollo range and a some others are starting to offer it as an option, has anyone tried the wifi connection DVRs and are they reliable?

Are you saying the DVR has a an encoder and wireless chip that can connect to wireless networks or a dvr that wirelessly transmits an analog signal? Do you have a model number?

Are you saying the DVR has a an encoder and wireless chip that can connect to wireless networks or a dvr that wirelessly transmits an analog signal? Do you have a model number?

hi its the new range from dahua wifi and 3g 3g is only for sending alarms from dvr if used in a remote location. part number are not being releast till next week they are a network dongle that can be programmed

I am not sure how it will work. I am assuming that the latest software has drivers added to the embedded software and then a usb wi fi adapter is plugged in. I did ask one of the engineers at Adata if this was possible last year and they said that it would be impossible for me to add drivers and these are required. Maybe a few people requested this function because now it's available as is 3G, (both as a dongle) in the latest range of Zeus and Apollo, if you are in the UK you will see them at IFSEC but I have no doubt the Dahua range will have this function at next release if it hasn't already.

I finally got my iogear adapter to work. i will test it a little more and if it continues to work good. Works just as good as being hard wired. Of course there is a distance limitation but if you are within normal range of your wireless router, its a great option.