chessman

Newbie: CCTV via USB

Hi

Why do CCTV cameras need a video capture card to be used on a PC?

Can I connect a CCTV camera to my USB port on my PC?

Chessman.

You need something that converts the camera to something the PC can see. Some companies (mine included) sell devices to do just that.

Yes, the USB has some serious bandwith issues. You can put about 120 fps at low resolution through it. At higher resolutions you're looking at 30 fps.

Isn't the distance between the camera and USB port going to be an issue as well? My understanding is that after about 15 ft. USB is worthless. Maybe I am not understanding exactly what he wants to do...Sounds like he could just buy a webcam and call it a day.

scottj

It depends if the converison is done at the camera (web cam) or if it's done nearer to the PC (converter box).

Here's the link to the Grandtec product.

http://www.grand.com.tw/en/product_form.asp?lwk_series=52&lwk_product=f-020&lwk_page=

We have been using them with IR bullets for low budget domestic 1 cam situations & the customers seem satisfied.

We have also used them for fast covert installations in some small business situations where people have been messing with the computer.

thanks for the advice everyone.

I want CCTV quality and a good 60 fps from a single CCTV camera into a USB 2.0 port., but I'm not sure the USB can handle the data rate. It seems that most PC-base applications of CCTV cams require a video capture card - and I think this may be due to bandwidth issues.

IS this for a laptop? You could also buy a USB DVR ... thing is if you want to record 24/7 then you will need to keep it dedicated .. otherwise on and off like on a laptop for private investigation, would be okay.

The unit we use is only for budget or covert use, the image quality is acceptable for this and the motion detection software that comes with it is useful.

Why do you need 60 fps for cctv?

If you require a higher quality image then you will need better equipment.