koolmer

Cost effective NVR Software

Hi all,

I am looking for a cost effective PC Based NVR solution for 16 - 24 cameras. This is for a control room that is manned 24/7.

What I need:

- multiple monitor support (probably 4)

- controller with joystick for PTZ control and to control call screens

I thought of Luxriot, but I am not sure if it is good. Has anyone here used it? I also thought of Milestone and Exacq, but I always associate those two with enormous cost. How much do they actually cost?

What brand cameras? Will you be using RTSP or ONVIF?

Nothing is better than free. Free requires low tech support when setting it up though.

Well cameras also have to be cost effective. What I will probably get as PTZ is this:

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/English/product_info.aspx?type=344&&css=0&&id=23

Others will probably also be from Dahua or Hikvision. I don't know of any free NVR, except Zoneminder. This is not an option though. I am looking for something cost effective, but professional; something that is proven to work.

Ahh, cheap stuff, I understand. You have to ask them what software works with it as most software will not be support the cameras directly. Maybe via Onvif, but that's a lowest common denominator interface, it may not work as well as you expect.

What works well with cheap stuff is Zoneminder as you can use just give it the url for the video stream and it can process it. Since Zoneminder is open source, you have the support of the community and it's free.

Also, keep in mind, generic support with generic software typically means the PC has to do all the motion detection and 24 cameras could require a serious server or maybe a few cheaper consumer grade PCs, say 3 of them with 8 cameras each or 2 with 12 cameras each.

Hikvision is giving free NVR software (used to be iVMS4000+NVRServer now under one iVMS4200), but it is worth trying to predict the software development in the future. Perhaps there might be some functions You may want to use? For free software I'd just find IPcam manufacturer and see if he has a full offer. Then I'd look up his software. Most will record, allow preview with more that 64 channels, recording, remote surveillance and other things considered standard nowadays. Besides Hikvision and Dahua, I'd check Sunell - I know for sure, that their PTZ IP Cameras handle well. For NVR commercial software, I'd say NUUO.

Hi all,

I am looking for a cost effective PC Based NVR solution for 16 - 24 cameras. This is for a control room that is manned 24/7.

What I need:

- multiple monitor support (probably 4)

- controller with joystick for PTZ control and to control call screens

I thought of Luxriot, but I am not sure if it is good. Has anyone here used it? I also thought of Milestone and Exacq, but I always associate those two with enormous cost. How much do they actually cost?

Who usually makes decision on cost

You or Your Customer ?

Okay guys, I am going to give you much more data, so you can help me better.

The budget is not fixed. I have been asked to design a system and I am in early planning phase. If the budget that I provide is too large, they will ask me to cut it or make a new one. There is no risk that I might lose this project. I can check out as many possibilities as I want. This will be my first fully IP system and I want to do everything right.

I have maybe 1 month for the planning and to have an acceptable budget.

The CCTV cameras will be viewed in the local Security office. 4 - 6 screens will be used for viewing. 2 spot screens should be extra and I need a joystick for the PTZ that works well.

I have inspected the property. It is very dark at night. Lighting up the whole area with IR seems overkill, but could be done. With 4 Raymax 300 I could light it up, but the price of this is around 1000 GBP each. Therefore I thought of PTZ that have IR integrated. If you think this is a stupid idea, let me know. I chose 1,3 MP to get better results at night.

4 - 5 PTZ will be outside. Maybe 3 fixed cameras outside and then 10 - 12 domes inside. All inside domes should have IR for the night, so the light can be turned off without loosing the picture. These cameras will show doors, corridors or offices. Nothing large or fancy needed. I thought of 1.3 MP, because it cost only a few bucks more than D1.

I will check if I can find a picture of the property, so you know what I am talking about.

Ahh, cheap stuff, I understand. You have to ask them what software works with it as most software will not be support the cameras directly. Maybe via Onvif, but that's a lowest common denominator interface, it may not work as well as you expect.

Yes, it is rather cheap , but do I get much better performance buying something expensive? Dahua is at least known to me and I have good experience with their analogue products. Hikvision has a camera that looks 100% the same, I would not be surprised if they are build in the same factory. What counts is the end result and the picture that I get on the screen. I think I will check your Blog to see if you have tested some IP PTZ...

Edited by Guest

I've never seen a ptz speed dome with IR emmitters or even heard of built in emmitters good for 100m and for $810 it appears to do what you want, heck 100m IR light from RayTec is going to cost you that much alone. If you can post a video clip at night with the effectiveness of the camera, that would be great. There's two videos on youtube now but hard to say what it is. Seems real dark and then gets brighter as it zooms in, sort of odd. Like the IR LED is such a fine pinpoint spot that it doesn't work at all at wide angle, but does work when zoomed in. You have to question one thing, the spec says 15W is used for the IR LEDs, can you really light 100m away with just 15W of LED?

Also, Dahua has NVR software for this, why look anywhere else - http://www.dahuasecurity.com/English/product_info.aspx?type=303&&css=7&&id=62

Exactly my point, I have seen the same videos and it looks convincing. The camera has 2 different IR LEDs, one side is wide angle and the other is narrow angle and only turns on when you zoom. I only have to cover 68 meters and for this it should do.

Also, Dahua has NVR software for this, why look anywhere else - http://www.dahuasecurity.com/English/product_info.aspx?type=303&&css=7&&id=62

I originally planned to use NetvisionDVR. They bundle their Software together with the camera from Dahua and it only cost a little more like that. The reason why I am looking for other NVR Software is because there are some limitations with Netvision. Netvision has a controller, but (besides that it is ugly) it can only control the main monitor of the NVR. I am planning a video wall with 4 - 6 screens attached to the NVR and then 2 additional spot screens. The Dahua NVR also looks very limited on multi monitor setup.

I will probably just buy 1 camera and 1 controller and then I have to do some testing. I can post some videos then.

We just purchased a large number of Dahua 2mp IP cams and eval'ed a bunch of NVR software. We narrowed it down to DigiFort for the two projects we are working on. It has native support for a variety of Dahua IP cams but none of their PTZ's at this time.

We just purchased a large number of Dahua 2mp IP cams and eval'ed a bunch of NVR software. We narrowed it down to DigiFort for the two projects we are working on. It has native support for a variety of Dahua IP cams but none of their PTZ's at this time.

Interesting. But you're right, they don't support Dahua PTZ and they don't support the identical model from Hikvision either.

hi. another cost effective way is aver NVR.

16 channel 5mp on each. supports most ip without licence. multi monitor outputs full CMS

195150_1.jpg

+

195150_2.jpg

+

195150_3.jpg

That looks nice! I will check out their website. Do you know where I can purchase this in Europe?

Hi,

I use Luxriot, what would you like to know?

If I can use the controller (joystick) to control several spot screens, like on an analogue matrix.

If I can make a video wall consisting of 4 or more screens that all display live images.