jmess

I need CCTV for a Gas Station

I am trying to design a CCTV system for a gas station that will enable the owners to see the license plate in case of a runoff. I have done a little research on CCTV but I am still learning, what the owners are looking for is a camera that is night time capable and weatherproof, able to see the whole vehicle and driver, have a clear view of the license plate, and be dirt cheap (around $1500 or less.) Does anyone have any idea what kind of hardware I need to complete this one or where the cameras would have to be mounted? Thanks J...

1500.00 for the camera, or the entire system?

Also, how many pump islands?

Let us know a little about the DVR etc. that you are using in your specification. That can help us point you in a cost effective direction.

scottj

It's two lanes with two pumps in between, canopy overhead, good lighting, and unfortuanetly the $1500 is the whole system, but I know that is crazy. The same thing happens to me with access controls, someone thinks one door will only be a couple hundred, and when I say 3k they lose it. The closer I stay to it, the better though...

wow, ok.....

Go with a low cost 4 channel embedded DVR, a cheap 25" Color monitor(TV), and 2 "average to decent" cameras with the proper lens specifications.

You might be able to stay close to it, but it certainly won't be perfect.

scottj.

I am trying to design a CCTV system for a gas station that will enable the owners to see the license plate in case of a runoff. I have done a little research on CCTV but I am still learning, what the owners are looking for is a camera that is night time capable and weatherproof, able to see the whole vehicle and driver, have a clear view of the license plate, and be dirt cheap (around $1500 or less.) Does anyone have any idea what kind of hardware I need to complete this one or where the cameras would have to be mounted? Thanks J...

Another approach might be to use some of the newer IP Cameras that have built-in Alarm Capability, Storage Cards and the ability for an external trigger. Why not tell the Svc station to put in a physical loop detector that will cause the IP Cam to just capture stills? When a drive-off occurs, the owner simply gets the images from a removeable card in the camera and transfers them to a PC. This'll get you below the $1500 limit!

Its a good concept, but how many owners do you know that will be willing to pull out a ladder in order to reach the camera to obtain the card?

scottj

Its a good concept, but how many owners do you know that will be willing to pull out a ladder in order to reach the camera to obtain the card?

scottj

True. However, if it is truly to see the license plate for drive-off's, you can mount the camera in a much more accessible area and still be out of the way of vehicles and customers. The newer cameras I'm speaking of have very compact housings.