Sign in to follow this  
mikeloew1

Auto tracking outside PTZ dome camera

Might want to state your budget...otherwise you might be some expensive recommendations. If you search, there are some nice tracking PTZs in under the 1k range.

auto tracking is a gimmick at best. it may follow a moving object fine, but what happens when you have multiple objects?

thats a great point.

auto tracking is a gimmick at best. it may follow a moving object fine, but what happens when you have multiple objects?

You're suggestions are starting to sound very familiar, like I've read them before.

The opposite side to that scenario is, what happens when the camera can't track either? Then you have no shot at all.

Auto tracking can increase your odds, simple as that. It may track just what you need and provide perfect ID in time of need. It may start to do so and get distracted and track something else that's not important- leaving you extremely frustrated. It may not be adjustable enough and be tough to keep still in general, when there's nothing really to track. You may have so many tress and bushes that it wouldn't be practical to have auto tracking- too much movement causing false tracking. You'll find absolutely no one here in favor of auto tracking for various, logical reasons. In my signature link videos I demo my ptz camera in auto tracking mode extensively. It can be effective. And, it can be useless. It depends. An animal, passing cars, blowing vegetation- all of that will keep your camera possibly moving for nothing or worst case, in the wrong direction at the worst possible time. But still, I have found it useful. It's my hands when I'm not at the camera. It increases the odds for ID. My camera is an inesun ptz09. You'll find it. It's very reasonable for the features. It comes from hong kong though, so figure that into your decision. Having used it for a good while now I can say it's great, but I can't say it would be great for you personally. Good luck in your quest.

+100 but we have been down this road already.

Very true, and I was able to auto track the whole thing.

Auto tracking never works plus. you have to read the warranty you will be hard pushed to find any auto track that will go 12 months warranty.

if you buy a good PTZ with multi alarm inputs and use sensors like GJD. will give you the same result of auto tracking.

standard PTZ will have 1-2 even 3 years warranty.

+100 but we have been down this road already.

Very true, and I was able to auto track the whole thing.

But you missed most of it because there where to many objects

I remember attending Axis training and them saying not to use auto tracking in the 233D because it was more of a toy then anything else

Like I said, you'll find no one here who endorses it. I, who actually uses it regularly, find it can be a useful addition to the camera. My camera also includes alarm and aux hookups too. I would be sure the camera includes that too, not just auto tracking. You can set the camera to look right at a triggered alarm, which is really good. Although that goes to the theory of one object at a time only and it remains static. It's just way more dependable that your camera will for sure point in the direction of a triggered alarm. You could couple that with auto tracking as well and increase the time the camera is shooting a suspect. And that's really all it's about. People seem to judge tracking by how well it will track a person perfectly the whole time. It's not really about perfect tracking of every movement the WHOLE time. It's about increasing the time the camera is looking at a suspect. All you need for helpful or positive ID is one single perfect FRAME of footage. The more you can increase that chance, the better. Tracking on it's own can provide that. Tracking coupled with alarm triggering can be even more successful. That won't sway anyone here though- they like to argue the point down every time. I understand. But I think tracking can be another useful tool in an already full featured camera. The choice is yours.

I've seen the videos shockwave put up, IMO they are very useful if that area is already covered by other cameras. Worst case, the other cameras get some footage, but if the tracking does its job, you get even closer footage.

dont waste money on an autotracking camera especially if your subject is less than 100ft away. The camera will most likely zoom in too much and you will lose the person when they walk.

Like the other posters said, it is a toy and gimmick. Buy more cameras, either ptz or fixed. Need more help, pm me.

dont waste money on an autotracking camera especially if your subject is less than 100ft away. The camera will most likely zoom in too much and you will lose the person when they walk.

'Most likely' is an assumption. You can adjust the zoom settings accordingly. I have a night video of auto tracking that demonstrates it.

Need more help, pm me.

I see you've carpet bombed the board. Typical.

I have a night video of auto tracking that demonstrates it.

i know you will defend your ptz. BUT your night video is not a true example of auto tracking.

it lost you 3 times in a short video............... it is only because you have your laptop with you that you could reactivate the auto tracker you had to walk back into its neutral point.

the part when your at your door...... you knock then start to walk away your camera returns to neutral.

say if that was a intruder knocking to see if anyone is in. steps back to look at windows your auto tracker would do the same return to neutral. leaving the intruder to do what ever he need to get in your front door............. you will only pick him back up on his way to the road.

without your laptop you video would have only lasted seconds.

auto tracking has been around for 8 years or so and it never works.... alarm inputs do work they make the PTZ do its job and no one needs to be in field of view (which is the main problem with auto tracking subject NEEDS to be in field or view)

Thank you for watching, first off.

I have a night video of auto tracking that demonstrates it.

i know you will defend your ptz. BUT your night video is not a true example of auto tracking.

it lost you 3 times in a short video............... it is only because you have your laptop with you that you could reactivate the auto tracker you had to walk back into its neutral point.

Yes it did lose me a few times. Auto tracking is not perfect. It is SUPPORT for static cameras.

the part when your at your door...... you knock then start to walk away your camera returns to neutral.

say if that was a intruder knocking to see if anyone is in. steps back to look at windows your auto tracker would do the same return to neutral. leaving the intruder to do what ever he need to get in your front door............. you will only pick him back up on his way to the road.

without your laptop you video would have only lasted seconds.

At the door, no matter what or where the camera ended up, the fact is it gave a helpful ID shot at the moment- in fact lots of very good frames worth. I also have a static camera on the doors and windows and I also have a static camera on the driveway by the cars. The tracking ptz simply supported them with more views and angles. All pictures combined from all three cameras would make very strong footage.

auto tracking has been around for 8 years or so and it never works.... alarm inputs do work they make the PTZ do its job and no one needs to be in field of view (which is the main problem with auto tracking subject NEEDS to be in field or view)

I'm not defending my camera Tom. I left all the times when tracking lost me in that footage so someone like you could comment as you have. I left it unedited to demonstrate when it works and when it doesn't, so people can make a better decision if it's something they want. That was my intention all along, since there wasn't much footage at all extensively covering it. I have lots of demos with the camera tracking, for better or worse. There are TONS of frames in all those videos where ID could have been helpful and POSITIVE. But you can't admit that. You'd rather argue that auto tracking can lose you- a point that I agree with with. No need to argue. If tracking helps provide a single frame of footage to aid in positive ID, it was worth the price of admission. It can do that. And it can fail miserably, which is why I say it's SUPPORT for an otherwise well implemented network of static cameras. And if you have that you can argue you don't NEED tracking at that point. My opinion, you can never have enough coverage. If you have a professional installer suggesting you get it, or insisting it's not worth it, or you're doing your own install and wondering what an auto tracking camera can and can't do, it's all there to see in my vids for this type of camera. I hope they help.

I can't say anymore about it. I agree with the arguments and I also still appreciate having a camera that includes tracking, along with everything else it can do.

Thanks for all the input guys. Here was the example I saw on youtube.

I would agree that this camera would not last long if it was in constant motion.

Well along those lines, I have a landscaper vid too. It was part of early testing of the settings. It's not perfect and it will keep the camera moving. All things to consider. And, it may annoy the landscapers

3nZY4LPlsJo

Outdoor autotracking at it's best

" title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> PTZ for the protection of shrubs and plants it could sell " title="Applause" />