Hi there,

I'm looking to purchase a CCTV tester. A client with approx 200 analog cameras has asked me to help troubleshoot their system. Which includes, camera signal loss, poor image quality, and the odd failed camera.

To help with this I'd like to bring along a tester designed for such troubleshooting. I've looked at the below tester

http://www.bytebrothers.com/bb_tester/Low_Voltage_Pro_Main_Page.htm

This tester includes a 1vpp test, length and impedance mismatch. I've read elsewhere that peak to peak voltage is better measured with an oscilloscope (which I have never used)

Just wanted some on advice on what troubleshooting equipment others may use/reccomend.

FYI:analog equipment is not my core business, but the client is very remote and I try my best to help them out when they ask.

Thanks!

Make sure it is capable of measuring below the standard 1V pp composite signal level. Ideally what you want is something that measures in IRE units.

Composite video level = 140 IRE

Sync pulse (15.75 Khz) = 40 IRE

White level = 100 IRE

Colour Burst = 40 IRE

V I sync = 40 IRE

Make sure it is capable of measuring below the standard 1V pp composite signal level. Ideally what you want is something that measures in IRE units.

Composite video level = 140 IRE

Sync pulse (15.75 Khz) = 40 IRE

White level = 100 IRE

Colour Burst = 40 IRE

V I sync = 40 IRE

And how many people here understand your post

My reply was directed to nifter53. Anyone else who reads it & is interested can ask questions or do some research. The tester in the link is above the handyman level so someone thinking of buying it would probably have a level of interest/understanding that is beyond the DIY plug & play. If it doesn't interest you then just move on.

Thanks for the replies!

I did look at the cm2 camera master which does measure ire, but since I deal only a little in analog i didn't want to invest in an $800 composite video tester.

I guess I am specifically looking to know if Testing for 1 volt peak to peak and/or impedance mismatches(i.e. using the lvpro) is going to lead me to uncovering a solution. Or if I would be better to invest in some other tool better suited to find problems I would otherwise not easily find.

Ideal makes a CCTV tester that has a LCD screen and measure ire as well, but once again it's about $800. This is the only client in my area with this many cameras, and all the setups I do are megapixel. So any specific CCTV tester is going to be shelfed after this project.

Thanks again for the input

The number of times I have needed anything more than a multimeter , a test monitor , a signal source & normal fault finding proceedures can be counted on one hand.

Your most important tool is the test monitor if the picture looks bad at the camera end most of the time it is the camera. I would also get a color bar generator. The portable ones only run about 60.00. plug in at cam end see what pic looks like at dvr end plug in at dvr end see what pic looks like at cam end. good pic at both end probably eliminated cable problem.

Right now I'm looking at the Vonnic A2812. It is a field monitor, color bar generator, portable power supply, and it seems to work most PTZ controls from what I can see.

In the features, it says "Video Level Test: Video Signal Measured in IRE or mV" -- Does this do what you were asking about?

Anyhow, it's about $225, but NewEgg has a 25% coupon code running for Vonnic stuff that brings it down to like $170. The code is "VONNIC25".

I'm looking to pick one up, so does anyone have an opinion on them?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881618183